Blow Over Landings

Reaction score
I've done around 15 flights with my P3A. I've landed on grass, hard surface etc. Even with no wind I am getting a blow over. I purchased the skid extension and thought that should take care of the problem but no luck. It is almost like the bird idles to fast when both sticks are pulled down and to the center upon landing and it does a floating flip onto it's top. I don't really want to use the catch it in hand idea.. I've seen some that pull stick 1 down and hold it but it seems like my bird takes to long for engines to shut down. Had a firmware upgrade today for everything and I did the upgrades with success on all. Thought maybe this would help so went out and flew again twice with the same results. So far I have only broken a prop but no scratches to the bird or motors ( I am not using prop guards ). Any suggestions from you more skilled flyers? Thanks in advanced!
Scottsr1950

I've done around 15 flights with my P3A. I've landed on grass, hard surface etc. Even with no wind I am getting a blow over. I purchased the skid extension and thought that should take care of the problem but no luck. It is almost like the bird idles to fast when both sticks are pulled down and to the center upon landing and it does a floating flip onto it's top. I don't really want to use the catch it in hand idea.. I've seen some that pull stick 1 down and hold it but it seems like my bird takes to long for engines to shut down. Had a firmware upgrade today for everything and I did the upgrades with success on all. Thought maybe this would help so went out and flew again twice with the same results. So far I have only broken a prop but no scratches to the bird or motors ( I am not using prop guards ). Any suggestions from you more skilled flyers? Thanks in advanced!
Scottsr1950

it sounds like you are you performing a CSC for every landing? you don't have to do that at all. once it's on the ground, just hold left stick down once the quad touches the ground. motors will stop within three seconds. if you're doing a CSC when landing then it's no surprise that it's tipping over.

Reactions: Discoverydave
Or the gain may be set to high, go into the dji program and reset it to its defaults. Also check the motors for wear.

I dont think worn motors are the issue, especially after only 15 flights.

I would forget the CSC for motor stop on landing, the left stick down seems the most reliable proven method.

I have done the CSC motor cut a few times and can see how easy it might me ti end up on the props.

i've seen motors fail after 2 tries, warranties exist for this reason, just do a google search on how to tell their condition so you can rule it out.

It's a common fault that many people experience when using CSC to stop the motors after landing. Holding the left stick down is definitely the way to go. -(Or learn to hand catch).

DJI has business with alot of other major players, consumer market isn't their only source of revenue.

:)

in regards; however I know its a problem with the p3's as i ran into it. the cracking stress marks warping the plastic? Causing wear on the motors rupturing the bearing in them? again, can never be to sure, and it happens rarely. just cover your bases :) I got a p4 and retired my p3 for parts, but that was me.

Could also be a gain setting, the way he is landing it, something not calibrated properly, it could be a WHOLE mess of things, in which case, Call the DJI tech Support gods :) they can def help with this or even RMA it for you.

DJI has business with alot of other major players, consumer market isn't their only source of revenue.

:)

in regards; however I know its a problem with the p3's as i ran into it. the cracking stress marks warping the plastic? Causing wear on the motors rupturing the bearing in them? again, can never be to sure, and it happens rarely. just cover your bases :) I got a p4 and retired my p3 for parts, but that was me.
As i said..... Unlikely and rare, extremely unlikely a contributer or of relavence to the problem as described.

Tip over on motor shut down with CSC is well documented.

SO the suggestion here would be to watch some landing vids on youtube and practice those i guess?

Left stick down and motors just turn off. Csc and motors give a little rev before turning off hence the tipping over.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Lee Taylor
As i said..... Unlikely and rare, extremely unlikely a contributer or of relavence to the problem as described.

Tip over on motor shut down with CSC is well documented.

I agree. The right stick backwards is telling the Phantom to go in reverse, hence the front lifting.

Left stick all the way straight back for a couple seconds should stop the motors after landing

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lee Taylor
it sounds like you are you performing a CSC for every landing? you don't have to do that at all. once it's on the ground, just hold left stick down once the quad touches the ground. motors will stop within three seconds. if you're doing a CSC when landing then it's no surprise that it's tipping over.
Thanks PhantomPlanet... Finally saw that on youtube. I had seen so many videos of pulling both sticks down and to center to kill motors after landing. Took your advice and caught it by hand then left stick down, motors turned off... Thanks Soooo Much !!

Reactions: PhantomPlanet
I agee with the posts relating to left stick all the way when near ground rather than CSC

One more tip with the left stick down and hand catch. If you have a lanyard with a dog lead style clip on the controller be careful. If your unlucky it can obstruct the stick movement and you end up holding a phantom you cant shut off. The lanyard that did that to me is up a tree somewhere now.

Scottsr1950
I know a lot of people like the hand landing, and the Phantom is good at self-maintaining a position that makes it easy to do this, but remember one thing. You are grabbing something that has FOUR high-speed whirling razor blades attached to it. It takes very, very little to end up with quickly-severed arm arteries and tendons. Unless the accident ends up with those whirling razor blades hitting you in your eyes----------

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.