Bloated Battery - Replacement Options?

Reaction score
Hi there everyone. I have hardly used my P2 as it has taken me many years/months to put it all together for FPV. I purchased my P2 in early 2014 so its clearly out of warranty.

My issue that has come about just the other day. I noticed just after take off and 10ft in the air, all red lights were beginning to flash and it was starting its safety descent. I quickly caught it and ran through my mental check list of what the issue could be.

At first I though that it was the battery that had actually depleted while sitting doing nothing for a few months after its last use. So u held onto the drone and pushed it to full throttle to deplete the battery. From a full battery indication to depleted and drone off in a matter of 2 min.

I was thinking there has to be an issue with the battery...

I took it all inside and removed the battery and to my surprise I noticed that it was slightly bloated on the sides and cushion'y to the touch.
To be honest i'm a little afraid of it as it really feels like its under pressure.

So the question's are =

• Is it still safe to use. ( obviously alarm bells are ringing on that one)?
  • Where can I safely dispose of this?
  • Can I save the housing of the battery/ should I even bother?
  • Where can I find replacements (OEM)?
  • How do I prevent this in the future?

It is very dangerous to keep the battery around. It can burst into flames. Dispose of the whole battery. There is nothing on it that you can reuse. I don't know where you can dispose of it in Portugal? Just check the internet for your battery.
They can swell if they get wet, old or over charged. It's a chemical break down that produces a gas that causes the swelling.

You can easily transform an ordinary 3s packet into an intelligent battery. In order to do this, you have to dismantle the battery, get rid of swollen cells and connect new packet to dji battery electronics. It is waay cheaper than purchasing a new dji battery.
Here is some tutorial, it is in Polish, but you should catch the point
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
A good practice is that you should purchase equal or higher than original capacity packet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic