BEWARE the Phantom 4 Pro + (yes... PLUS)

Have you used a P4P+?

• Total voters
I made these mistake of purchasing the Phantom 4Pro + in March of last year.
The built in monitor is very nice, but the DJI software issues are a nightmare at best.
Software crashes are common, The farthest distance I have been able to fly my Phantom is around my 8,300 feet.
The video always shows that the camera has a “twitching” problem.
DJI per their norm, never returns my calls, even though they promise to. I could go on and on.

I have had the P4 Advanced Plus for five months, but just got a replacement back under DJI Care Refresh after a crash broke the gimbal. On my first long video flight I noticed a "twitch" in the video. I thought it might just be dropping frames when playing the video back, because it's hard to play 4K back on my laptop, where some players just freeze and some do better.

But since you mentioned a "twitching" problem I'd like to know more about that from you and other users of P4P and P4A with the same 1" camera, with and without the Plus controller.

If you are considering purchasing the Phantom 4 Professional (P4P) or plus version (P4P+) please be aware there are significant differences IF you are going to use any DJI or 3rd party software.

I recently purchased a P4P+ thinking the built-in screen would be convenient and surely the extra bells and whistles with the PLUS version would be worth the ~$500. DEAD WRONG if you want to do anything professional with it.

- Absolutely NO other device will be recognized if connected to the P4P+ controller.
- So no 3rd party software (surveying, mission planning, etc.) can be used with the controller.
- NOT EVEN DJI's own GS Pro app can be used!!!

This is all confirmed today while on a long telephone call with DJI customer support. The nice lady had to pause the call several times to research or ask others about my issue. After pointing out several times that DJI's own software GS Pro software would not work with the controller, she recommended I buy the P4P controller and not the PLUS. I then asked if that was a "down-grade" and she insisted it was not. I then asked why this VERY important information was not anywhere on the DJI web site. After another long hold time, she insisted it was and proceeded to read off the list of supported controllers: ...P3, P4, P4P, P4A... see, no "plus" in the list she insisted. So I asked again why a simple "+" on the end of the model would have a completely different software architecture (Android lollipop). It was at that point she hung up on me.

So if you are a person who wants a great UAS that takes great images and video and has a convenient 5.5 inch screen permanently fixed to the pretty white controller, then this is a great little system. But if you want to run ANY 3rd party app or actually do professional work with the drone, stay clear of the P4P+.

I too have a + controller and I too thought that was the smart way to go. You and I both know that DJI could make it all compatible with revisions to the firmware image loaded on the + controller so the question that really exists is what will it take to convince them to do so? I would say that if enough + owners all complained to them that the image needs to be corrected to accept their own software as a minimum, that may be a start ... all could be done correctly with some software changes and adjustments to allow the + controller to more thoroughly use the SD card ram as well. I am just saying ...

I just wish they would release a "corrected" version of the firmware for the + ... both RC and AC versions, since they have to work together without contention. It is quite obvious that there are issues ... so many have already identified these and I am sure they are aware of them by now ... actually some of the DJI folks have actually admitted (per posts on this forum) that the '602' release was plagued with issues and recommended that folks downgrade until a fix was released ... until they removed the ability to do a downgrade !!! ... anyway, we need to get a fix released so the + is fully stable under all of the identified situations where it has some serious issues.

If you are considering purchasing the Phantom 4 Professional (P4P) or plus version (P4P+) please be aware there are significant differences IF you are going to use any DJI or 3rd party software.

I recently purchased a P4P+ thinking the built-in screen would be convenient and surely the extra bells and whistles with the PLUS version would be worth the ~$500. DEAD WRONG if you want to do anything professional with it.

- Absolutely NO other device will be recognized if connected to the P4P+ controller.
- So no 3rd party software (surveying, mission planning, etc.) can be used with the controller.
- NOT EVEN DJI's own GS Pro app can be used!!!

This is all confirmed today while on a long telephone call with DJI customer support. The nice lady had to pause the call several times to research or ask others about my issue. After pointing out several times that DJI's own software GS Pro software would not work with the controller, she recommended I buy the P4P controller and not the PLUS. I then asked if that was a "down-grade" and she insisted it was not. I then asked why this VERY important information was not anywhere on the DJI web site. After another long hold time, she insisted it was and proceeded to read off the list of supported controllers: ...P3, P4, P4P, P4A... see, no "plus" in the list she insisted. So I asked again why a simple "+" on the end of the model would have a completely different software architecture (Android lollipop). It was at that point she hung up on me.

So if you are a person who wants a great UAS that takes great images and video and has a convenient 5.5 inch screen permanently fixed to the pretty white controller, then this is a great little system. But if you want to run ANY 3rd party app or actually do professional work with the drone, stay clear of the P4P+.

For me if I were to go your route, after spending more for the PLUS version, I would ALSO have to invest more in an iPad for another significant investment ... not a smart solution for me ... DJI simply needs to get on the ball and fix the firmware issues correctly ... maybe exploit some thorough regression testing BEFORE releasing the next release.

I had the DJI P4P+ for a short while. It was a nice simple tool for flying on cloudy days if the DJI Go 4 App met your needs. You could launch rapidly with very little setup time. Unfortunately, in bright sun, the high luminosity built in screen still suffered from glare. And the software issue has been well established in previous comments.

Rather than complain about the DJI P4P+ limitations, I sold it to someone whose needs were perfectly met by it's build in screen and the available software from DJI. Then, for very little out-of-pocket money, I got a standard controller. Then, to deal with glare and the challenge of keeping a good VLOS on my drone, I acquired the Epson BT-300 glasses. Not cheap, but a great decision. I don't deal with a glaring screen or with looking up at the drone and then down at the control screen and then back up at the drone and trying to find it again.

My application is primarily photography, so, I don't find a need to go beyond DJI's Go 4 software.

I had the DJI P4P+ for a short while. It was a nice simple tool for flying on cloudy days if the DJI Go 4 App met your needs. You could launch rapidly with very little setup time. Unfortunately, in bright sun, the high luminosity built in screen still suffered from glare. And the software issue has been well established in previous comments.

Rather than complain about the DJI P4P+ limitations, I sold it to someone whose needs were perfectly met by it's build in screen and the available software from DJI. Then, for very little out-of-pocket money, I got a standard controller. Then, to deal with glare and the challenge of keeping a good VLOS on my drone, I acquired the Epson BT-300 glasses. Not cheap, but a great decision. I don't deal with a glaring screen or with looking up at the drone and then down at the control screen and then back up at the drone and trying to find it again.

My application is primarily photography, so, I don't find a need to go beyond DJI's Go 4 software.

Meta4 , Thanks for the friendly "welcome" to your forum and the condescending tone. I spent a lot of time researching the different models and decided to go with a more commercialized package for my students. Big departure for me because my project acquisitions are with fixed wing. It is NOT well publicized and the DJI website does not have anything about this huge limitation.

Even on your forum if you search "plus" or "plus issues" you have to read through a lot of material before you got to a comment about "3rd party issues". And most of those are YOUR posts. Feel free to google any search terms and find out there is a 3rd party software issue WITHOUT any a priori knowledge of the 3rd party issue.

Joined just now, not because of your post and same issue, but because people are idiots and thanks for coming on here and asking. You see 50 people post it helped, likely 5000 more it helped.

Thanks again!

I got the integrated controller because i have no tech skills to figure out what to buy for a "monitor" or 3rd party apps. For me this has been a great decision. Just in case anyone stumbles across this thread in the future. Im totally happy still, being new to this when i started flying. The integrated controller was great for a beginner to these types of drones. 100 flights lster, yes i know enough now what to do to run a set up like you guys do, but i had to keep it simple and the integrated controller is just what i needed.

I havé à P4 and a P4p +. I hâte being uns le to Fly LITCHI.Also my incorporated tablette,Android,dors not accept thé upgrade of 8december,not yét at least...

But if you want to run ANY 3rd party app or actually do professional work with the drone, stay clear of the P4P+.
False.
I fly a P4P+ professionally nearly 52 weeks a year for professional video and photography work, in a professional setting. You should not make comments like this just because you made a mistake in your research. It is widely known that the Plus was not intended to run Google Play to support 3rd party apps. That has nothing to do with using it very successfully in a professional environment. Many are doing so and as the highly experienced Mod already stated, this was a major oversight on your behalf. You would have been better off buying a $300 standard controller and having the best of both worlds since deployment time on the Plus is much quicker. In the professional world, time is money and it shines at saving many minutes that add up. There are already hacks to get CS displays operating 3rd party apps... also, 5 minutes of time spent finding this information.

Normally the P4P+ is $200 more, not $500. But, if you got it out side of the US, I can see where it would cost more. I tried selling a new P4P+ controller for $400, and would ship outside of the country.
I had a number of people say they would take it, and never did. It was a very strange experience for me. Still got it.

Meta4 , Thanks for the friendly "welcome" to your forum and the condescending tone. I spent a lot of time researching the different models and decided to go with a more commercialized package for my students. Big departure for me because my project acquisitions are with fixed wing. It is NOT well publicized and the DJI website does not have anything about this huge limitation.

Even on your forum if you search "plus" or "plus issues" you have to read through a lot of material before you got to a comment about "3rd party issues". And most of those are YOUR posts. Feel free to google any search terms and find out there is a 3rd party software issue WITHOUT any a priori knowledge of the 3rd party issue.

Meta4 does not do condescending,he/she gives honest unbiased advice.

Got to give some love to the PLUS ,

I have had the Plus and have never once had a software failure. Not once.
This is one of the reasons why Plus controller is so solid unlike using the phones.
The ability to setup so quick is such a huge Plus for this setup.
The visibility is also really nice.

The plus controller is also very water resistant and again great for adventures flying such as the rain , snow, cold , ect.
My iphone 7 acts crazy in the cold so once again that is a Plus.

If you just want to run the Litchi app for patterns and such than you have to avoid the plus as of now the third party apps will not work with it.

For many the quick set up is the key to having this controller.

second.gif

I don’t want aPhantomWetsuit, I just want to be able to upgrade m’y P4P+ to the new Panos mode. All others DjI drone owners can!(Mavic,spark,P4,P4P... ) I repeat:it is a question of equitability!!!!!!

I would also like to add our considerable praise for the P4P+. We've been using it professionally, almost daily, under strong summer sunshine conditions in South Africa, and it has delivered everything we hoped for. (Yes, perhaps a sunhood might help at times, but we are adequately managing without because we don't want a sunhood getting in the way.) The integrated system is very quick to set up and get flying as soon as possible, as well as being able to rapidly pack everything away. When you're chasing the best light, and/or filming under demanding circumstances with the pressure on to deliver results, this is a plus (pun intended).

I'm pretty sure DJI would not make claims on any 3rd party software. Why would we even expect them to? They have to protect their product and software. Its just business. I love my PRO 4 + but getting having some issues stuck in beginner mode. About to trash the program and reinstall it again to fix it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4