Beta Testers requested to fix Compass Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to send an email to DJI last week asking if they can help me fix the issue with my P2 and the "J" hook. I got a response today. Am I missing something? I've never seen anything that allows me to "calibrate the unit to true North". Anyone else?
Thank you for your email.

We have reviewed your inquiry and have determined the following from your email. It seems as though your GPS unit and Compass are not in agreement of which way North is. This is usually caused because a user does not calibrate their unit according to the locations Magnetic Declination. You will need to Google your locations magnetic declination to calibrate the unit to true North.

You can find Apps for iPhone, Android, and Windows below:

Magnetic Declination on the App Store on iTunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/magneti ... 18318?mt=8

Magnetic Declination for Android:

http://www.appszoom.com/android_applica ... eclination

Magnetic Declination App for Windows:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-au/store ... dbdffbe594

Once you have completed your correct calibration the unit should fly as designed.

Thank you for your support.

C-Mac, I assume you told them you have a P2? Seems like he might be talking about what some people do for the combined GPS/compass puck on the non-Phantom Naza which is to rotate the puck. If that's not what he's talking about, I have no idea! Do we have to face North when we calibrate the compass? Maybe we have to do a declination dance after the compass calibration?!?

I have never heard anything like that for the Phantom. To bad they don't say how - or they are just wrong.

terry.one said:
Hi, Everyone,
This is Terry from DJI HQ. I've read our phantom users have compass issues like TBE, not flying in straight line in certain areas. This is very strange to us and engineers are very concerned about it. We believe it is related to magnetic interference locally. To find out the cause and solve the problem, I'd like to request for beta testers in this forum who:

1. own Phantom 2 or Phantom 2 Vision.
2. suffer compass issue and compass calibration does not help with latest 2.0 0 firmware.
3. have iOSD Mark II installed and provide flight data for analyse.
4. experienced in flying.

We will try our best to fix this issue and very appreciate your help as testers. If you are interested, pls reply the thread and I will contact you shortly. Thanks. :)

i am very happy to see DJI on this forum.

thank you for putting the phantom out on the market. i have 2 now and fly almost every day.

John Shaw said:
I have never heard anything like that for the Phantom. To bad they don't say how - or they are just wrong.

My guess is it's not for the Phantom. We would have heard about it by now. Unless they put something in the new firmware and forgot document it.

ianwood said:
C-Mac, I assume you told them you have a P2? Seems like he might be talking about what some people do for the combined GPS/compass puck on the non-Phantom Naza which is to rotate the puck. If that's not what he's talking about, I have no idea! Do we have to face North when we calibrate the compass? Maybe we have to do a declination dance after the compass calibration?!?

I stated it very clearly I think. :D Below is my message to them.

I was hoping you might be able to help me with an issue I'm having with my P2's. I have 2 of them and both have the same issue. Once I take off after the green lighting sequence (Home Lock)and push the throttle stick straight forward and let go of the stick both my P2's will veer to the left.

I was hoping the latest firmware (2.0) would fix this but it did not. One of my P2's is running 2.0 and the other is still running 1.8 and both have the same issue.

Is there something i can do to fix this?

I have the same issue in regards to the pv2 flight behavior. Mine j hooks and doesn't fly straight. I don't have a mini iosd installed but I do have a flytrex on it. Let me know if I could be of any help and thanks for trying to resolve this issue.

I am really not sure why they need beta testers. DJI have an office in LA with P2V's and P2Z's coming in for repair weekly. Surely they must test fly them after fixing them?

Will take a few minutes for one of their techs to fly forward and release the controls. It will either "J Hook" or it won't. Simples.

xgeek said:
I am really not sure why they need beta testers. DJI have an office in LA with P2V's and P2Z's coming in for repair weekly. Surely they must test fly them after fixing them?

Will take a few minutes for one of their techs to fly forward and release the controls. It will either "J Hook" or it won't. Simples.

I would agree and don't know if that has been done yet. I've made the offer to go to their LA office to demonstrate it. I can also see that collecting data from multiple users can show how the flight software is reacting in number of different conditions including location.

Terry, just to reiterate. There are a bunch of us in the SoCal area in close enough proximity to the LA office that we could work something through there. A live demonstration of the problem. And we can put a Mark II OSD on and capture the data as well.

It sure does look like there is relationship to declination.
I had posted these charts on a related thread but have now added the locations from ianwoods list of those of us who have seen the effect. All effected parties are near or greater than 10 degree declination. I watch a lot of phantom videos from Europe but there are no effected Europeans listed. The attached chart show why this is the case. Note - dot locations are approximate. You may have to zoom in and around.

Attachments

• Dec E.jpg
    Dec E.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 524
  • Dec W.jpg
    Dec W.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 510
WOW! Awesome work!

I live in Ventura, CA and have a serious case of TBE and J-hook. I have tried various compass cals, rotating in different directions and combinations of directions as well as differing start points on the compass rose.....all to no effect. It does indeed seem to lessen with time but reappears on power cycling.

I'd love to help with the testing, but like many of us, have the iOSD-mini on a P2/Zenmuse H3-2D. I am considering upgrading to the 3 axis unit, but will hold off until this issue is addressed. I am encouraged to see DJI here and hope a fix is imminent.

Thank you very much for willing to help. We appreciate it.

The compass issue I believe it's related to area since all phantoms are tested before delivery. I flew in China and LA with no problem. We do repairs in LA, but just repair. Our engineers are in HQ China and they are the ones to fix the problem.

To log flight data, it should has an SD card at least, which iOSD mini does not. Only iOSD Mark II can do it. I will come back at 8 April since we are on a traditional Chinese Festival now. I will pick some of you in different locations and sending out iOSD mark II. Beta testers needs to provide flight data of compass issue, then we will provide beta firmware to test until problem solved.

ianwood, would you like to be no.1 tester in my list? :D

terry.one said:

The compass issue I believe it's related to area since all phantoms are tested before delivery. I flew in China and LA with no problem. We do repairs in LA, but just repair. Our engineers are in HQ China and they are the ones to fix the problem.

To log flight data, it should has an SD card at least, which iOSD mini does not. Only iOSD Mark II can do it. I will come back at 8 April since we are on a traditional Chinese Festival now. I will pick some of you in different locations and sending out iOSD mark II. Beta testers needs to provide flight data of compass issue, then we will provide beta firmware to test until problem solved.

I will be the second :) . I am in Orange County. I don't have any FPV or iosd mini, but i could just slap the mark II on there and fly around for awhile and that should be enough to catch it since it happens every flight.

Terry,

I am also available to put a loaner iOSD Mark II on my P2, fly the hook a few times, and fedex iOSD Mark II and flight data to DJI. I am in Northern California, zip 94574.

Kelly

terry.one said:

Yes, I would!

I seem to be the only one in my area right now but I'll also volunteer to help test/fix this issue.

Thank you to everyone involved in this. It will be really great to get a fix for this. I have the iOSD so cannot contribute at this point.

Keep well

Harold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic