Best ways to remove micro jitters & improving footage?

Reaction score
I am still learning about getting the best from my Phantom. I recently added a AeroXcraft gimbal to my craft. Overall I am pleased with the results it gives me. But ironically the best footage I am happier with was with the GoPro hard mounted in its waterproof case! This is mainly because the better the footage looks with a gimbal the more obvious any faults with the footage look. Apart from sidways (yawing) movements which of course need a 3 axis gimbal, I am also getting slight but obvious jitters to the footage. None look remotely as good as I know a Phantom/gimbal is capable of giving. I am filming at 1080p 50fps at medium view with protune off. No ND filter as was unsure if that would not be good for the gimbal. These settings are the same for all my footage so far with gimbal and without. I have been flying mainly in GPS but occasionally in ATTI- but once reviewing the footage can't see much difference. Though will try longer sessions in ATTI. I also still have my prop guards fitted. These have proved invaluable early on when the craft spun a few times on landing. But hopefully will feel happier removing them soon. Apart from reducing the flight times I would imagine that these would make flights more bumpy as the wind catches them?
Most filming has been done in calm conditions.
Any advice gratefully received!!

cheers

bill

I've experienced pretty much the same things as you with my aeroxcraft gimbal under PHnatom 1.
biggest frustration is the yaw wobble that seems to be a bit exaggerated with the aexrocraft. I'm going to try changing some gains in the phantom naza settings again today to see if I can smooth it out. but the jitters and stabilization are handled well with the "mercalli' software. it's also made by Prodad but more designed for stabilization.
http://www.prodad.com/home/products/vid ... ,l-us.html
this works best if you shoot in 2.7k and then edit in 1080.

I've been looking at any other physical adjustments to the aeroxcraft gimbal but I don't really see any way to make changes that would help the jitters.

DHTV said:
I've experienced pretty much the same things as you with my aeroxcraft gimbal under PHnatom 1.
biggest frustration is the yaw wobble that seems to be a bit exaggerated with the aexrocraft. I'm going to try changing some gains in the phantom naza settings again today to see if I can smooth it out. but the jitters and stabilization are handled well with the "mercalli' software. it's also made by Prodad but more designed for stabilization.
http://www.prodad.com/home/products/vid ... ,l-us.html
this works best if you shoot in 2.7k and then edit in 1080.

I've been looking at any other physical adjustments to the aeroxcraft gimbal but I don't really see any way to make changes that would help the jitters.

I use mercalli too but usually shoot in 1080-60. 60 FPS tends to keep the jello to a minimum and using a #8 ND filter to slow the shutter really smooths it out.

I already have mercalli and indeed have found it helps. Though with the occasional "odd" effect that is prone with any software solution I guess. I am using these settings which I picked up from another Phantom thread- "GlideCam preset set at - Pan 20 and Crop 15. Disabling rolling sitter compensation, it's only designed for slew correction and messes with the above settings."

What settings do you use? I will be interested to see if changing the gains helps.

Here is a shot video where I "smoothed" out some of the jitters etc

https://vimeo.com/81844996

I currently still have the prop guards attached and wonder if they too help cause unwanted movement in the craft- catching the wind. I plan on removing them shortly anyway.

The trouble is the better the footage looks- the better you want it to look!

peter nap: are you using aeroxcraft gimbal or another? and if you are, can you send a link to the #8 ND filter you're using?
actually, I'd like to see it either way....but I think I'll have to make some modifications to my aeroxcraft gimbal to be able to fit any kind of filter on my gopro.

fly-catchers: i'm a little more aggressive with the settings in mercalli. here's what I am doing to remove jitters and the yaw wiggle:
Border handling: best border
roll compensation - 50%
check keep camera dynamic
virtual stabicam: universal camera - check 'rolling-shutter compensation
pan shot smoothing: 60%
check avoid border - set at 30%

this will get rid of most wiggle and jitter but it will also sometimes soften the resolution of the video in the areas where yaw wiggle is being corrected...especially if there's a lot of detail in the video. it can really hurt your detail quality.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic