Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck getting really smooth video timelapses of sunrise/sunset videos with their P4P? I'd like to run manual mode, but not sure where the "sweet spot" is exposure wise. Below are a couple of captures I got recently. They're both sped up for the sake of time, but you can get an idea for what's going on color and exposure wise across the elapsed time.

Sunrise: Aperture Priority @ between F5-F6.3 (I changed it mid flight) I also noticed some drastic changes in exposure, I can only guess was the ISO changing, or extreme shutter speed change. It could have also been AP mode settings being reset between battery swaps. (probably more likely.)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sunset: Manual camera settings, but the ground was underexposed to prevent the sky from blowing out even more than it was.

Is it possible to get a good balance between ground and sky detail, while maintaining warmth from the sun tones? Is this impossible to achieve without ND, or graduated ND? Should I just go in with manual settings @ iso 100, F11, and 1/60th or 1/120th and let her rip? I get antsy towards the end of the shot, and want to start correcting exposure.

Do a bit of research on shooting in DLOG. that would give you an extended range and more details in the shadows, but it does require post processing.

Smokinsound-
Here is a time-lapse that I did that made the local news in San Antonio. I used auto setting but adjusted the ISO down around 400-800. Each sunrise is going to be a bit different, so just send the bird up and practice.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Do a bit of research on shooting in DLOG. that would give you an extended range and more details in the shadows, but it does require post processing.

Thanks for the heads up. The footage posted above is actually shot in DLog for that purpose. However, I'd like to get the capture as good as possible so that I can focus on creative color correction, vs restoration & repair. My main goals right now are to maintaining consistent color reproduction in the sky, optimizing dynamic range between sky and ground, and eliminating flicker as the exposure of the scene changes.

Smokinsound-
Here is a time-lapse that I did that made the local news in San Antonio. I used auto setting but adjusted the ISO down around 400-800. Each sunrise is going to be a bit different, so just send the bird up and practice.

Beautiful shot there. I love how you were able to capture color changes in the clouds. So, everything was auto except for your ISO? AWB, shutter speed, aperture, etc? Thanks for sharing your insight.

What's the technique for doing time lapse on video? Or is the playback just speeded up?

Thanks for the heads up. The footage posted above is actually shot in DLog for that purpose. However, I'd like to get the capture as good as possible so that I can focus on creative color correction, vs restoration & repair. My main goals right now are to maintaining consistent color reproduction in the sky, optimizing dynamic range between sky and ground, and eliminating flicker as the exposure of the scene changes.

Beautiful shot there. I love how you were able to capture color changes in the clouds. So, everything was auto except for your ISO? AWB, shutter speed, aperture, etc? Thanks for sharing your insight.

Smokinsound- all auto on video except ISO- I only changed the ISO to offset the ground and pull color.

Smokinsound- all auto on video except ISO- I only changed the ISO to offset the ground and pull color.

Awesome, thanks!

What's the technique for doing time lapse on video? Or is the playback just speeded up?

Check out speed ramping if you're using Premier. But basically, it's just speeding the footage up, yes. There are different techniques to make the footage fit a specific length of time as well.

Reactions: Flying pug

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers