Best settings for night flying?

Reaction score
Last night my p4p vs2 started to fly higher with no input while in P mode, which hadn't happened in the past. I plan to take a different approach next time.
With no obstacles around take off in P mode, turn off all obstacles sensors and go into Atti mode. Sport mode I think will be too responsive due to the need of smooth flights. As for a hand catching, which I will need to do, I'm not sure about doing such in Atti mode.

Please give me your advice for flying at night for best flight and control. Also how to hand catch.
Thanks!

Oh, my flights will be no further than 300' horizontal and 150' high, if that makes any difference at all....

Last night my p4p vs2 started to fly higher with no input while in P mode, which hadn't happened in the past. I plan to take a different approach next time.
With no obstacles around take off in P mode, turn off all obstacles sensors and go into Atti mode. Sport mode I think will be too responsive due to the need of smooth flights. As for a hand catching, which I will need to do, I'm not sure about doing such in Atti mode.
Flying higher with no joystick input would be highly unusual and it's hard to see how it could have happened.
To get to the bottom of the mystery, post your flight data and someone might be able to find what happened.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record (txt file) from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

I'm not sure why you'd want to use atti mode, but if you do, be careful of any drifting due to wind.
Your Phantom won't have any brakes either so flying close to obstacles would be riskier than usual.
If you do want to fly in atti mode, you don't have to land/catch in atti mode.
Catching in atti mode would add additional risks.
Switch back to P-GPS to bring the drone in.

There are lots of youtube videos showing how to catch.
Short version is:
Bring the drone down to about 10 feet up and 10-20 feet out in an open area.
Turn the drone so you are looking at the battery.
Bring the drone down to a foot above head height and gently pull back on the right stick to bring the drone within reach.
Make sure that you step forward and reach up to catch the right leg with your thumb under the battery.
Don't fly the drone back into yourself and don't have it at face height.
Hold it steady while you hold the left stick down for three seconds.

Whatever you do, practise in daylight first.
In the dark is not a good learning environment.

Thank you for your suggestions! Meta4, I will look at the flight data and get back if I have issues with it.
I think that the lighting is affecting the visual observation system which I will turn off at my next session.

Flying higher with no joystick input would be highly unusual and it's hard to see how it could have happened.
To get to the bottom of the mystery, post your flight data and someone might be able to find what happened.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record (txt file) from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

I'm not sure why you'd want to use atti mode, but if you do, be careful of any drifting due to wind.
Your Phantom won't have any brakes either so flying close to obstacles would be riskier than usual.
If you do want to fly in atti mode, you don't have to land/catch in atti mode.
Catching in atti mode would add additional risks.
Switch back to P-GPS to bring the drone in.

There are lots of youtube videos showing how to catch.
Short version is:
Bring the drone down to about 10 feet up and 10-20 feet out in an open area.
Turn the drone so you are looking at the battery.
Bring the drone down to a foot above head height and gently pull back on the right stick to bring the drone within reach.
Make sure that you step forward and reach up to catch the right leg with your thumb under the battery.
Don't fly the drone back into yourself and don't have it at face height.
Hold it steady while you hold the left stick down for three seconds.

Whatever you do, practise in daylight first.
In the dark is not a good learning environment.
Great advice as usual, Meta4! Thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik