Best Practices for Real Estate Aerial Shots

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

What started as occasional one off "favors" is turning into more serious paying jobs. Now I need to really get great shots (I am Part 107). So, I am looking for ways to stay legal while trying to do my best...and stay safe and not get yelled at...

In the San Francisco Bay Area, it's nearly impossible not to...

1. Cross the road while flying. So, do I fly across it when no cars are driving by or land/re-take off from after cross it to keep it black/white?
2. How many nearby neighbors do you tell in advance? Or do you simply wait until someone yells?
3. Looking some links to videos or websites with best practices for above kind of questions?

Thank you in advance.

James

First off welcome to the forum.

You might get different answers by asking your question over in our Commercial Pilots forum. I'm not saying our members here won't give solid and good advice but the answer pool is more geared towards what you're doing over there.

1. Cross the road while flying. So, do I fly across it when no cars are driving by or land/re-take off from after cross it to keep it black/white?
2. How many nearby neighbors do you tell in advance? Or do you simply wait until someone yells?
3. Looking some links to videos or websites with best practices for above kind of questions?

Thank you in advance.

James

1) It depends on what you need to do in order to NOT fly over a moving vehicle. If you can hover in place until no cars are coming and they fly over go for it. If it's a busy road sometimes it's easier to land and re-launch.

2) We try to contact anyone whose property we "might" be flying over and anyone who happens to be out n about when we arrive.

3) Sorry no links here. Good luck in your searches and SAFE flights.

Allen

Reactions: Cutaway
1. I agree with BigA

2. I have logos on my vehicle for the photography. Since I have done this, rather than people asking what I am doing, they are more interested in asking questions about drone flying and such. I also wear logoed t-shirts (when clean LOL). I found this can quickly diffuse a situation so they see you are a professional and not some random person flying a drone.

3. Just use your best judgment and common sense and I think you will be fine!

Happy flying!

Yeah, it kinda depends on the laws. In NZ you can't fly over roads or someone else's land. As long as you are obeying the law and aren't too intrusive (I understand you can overfly private property) and smile when somebody wanders over, you should be okay. Of course I'm basing that on NZ attitudes. Your locals' attitudes may vary..

2. You can get 'Drone Tape' or pop up signs. Something like "Commercial Drone Flight in Operation' if they see the word Commercial that might help to convince some people that is a professional situation and not someone spying on people.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl