New/Old owner looking for advice

Reaction score
So I had a drone back in the summer of 14 which was a DJI phantom I think it has been a long while since I had it. The drone had all the normal safe flight, land, take off etc. However I found that after a few months it was pretty boring to fly even with my son. My back yard is an acre in size. I was going to take it to the next level and go FPV but at the time that meant go pro and fat shark. When I looked at the demo videos things looked pretty shaky and low resolution so I just ended up selling the drone on craigslist.

I have been looking into the FPV market again and both LBHs and Best Buy tried to push the $1400 Phantom 4 with DJI goggles on me. After watching some reviews and reading forums I have seen a lot of people say if you just want to tool around in FPV and are not doing professional stuff that the standard 4 or even the 3 is the way to go. From what I read the three seemed just as capable as the four and brand new they are half the price or even in the classifieds here their is pretty good deals.

So this is what I am looking to do.

1. LOS the drone in my backyard with my kids wearing the goggles for the neato daddy experience.
2. When my skill gets better fly it over the forest, we are surrounded by a few hundred acres of woods and ponds with no airports and houses nearby.
3. When my skill gets really good I want to take it out into the mountains where we go off roading with the kids. I think getting a birds eye view off some of the scenic looks would be awesome. When I say mountains I mean way up in the north of New Hampshire mountains we drive up to many look out spots, water falls etc.

I am a responsible flyer I will of course look into FAA registration, training, and NFZs before I go out on some really big FPV adventures.

So should I go with the four or just look for a good deal on the three. Money is not the issue I just don't want to spend $1400 on a four if I don't really need it. Or is there another option I am not looking at?

Thanks in advance.

Have you considered the DJI Mavic Pro? It uses OcuSync and is able to connect to the DJI Goggles wirelessly. It's really convenient and would probably be the best option if you're planning on using the DJI Goggles often. Also, you can pick one up for ~$900.

Have you considered the DJI Mavic Pro? It uses OcuSync and is able to connect to the DJI Goggles wirelessly. It's really convenient and would probably be the best option if you're planning on using the DJI Goggles often. Also, you can pick one up for ~$900.

No I have not. I will do some digging into the Mavic Pro. Thanks for the suggestion.

Best Buy actually has the Mavic Pro on sale for $806 here on their website. If it's more in store, you could buy it online and pick it up in the store.

I found this over in Mavic pilots classifieds.

Mavic Pro - Professional Bundle / accessories - Like New, Excellent, OPTION to add iPad mini 4 128GB

I am not asking anyone to bash the seller or anything of that nature. However is there anything I should be aware of with this setup? It seems like a pretty solid deal. I just wonder if there is issues buying used outside of the obvious. Like would I have problems with DJI transferring the product to a different device or something of that nature.

However is there anything I should be aware of with this setup?
If having the DJI warranty is important to you, then make sure you get a copy of the original sales receipt if the Mavic is less than 1 year old (and if the seller purchased from an authorized DJI dealer).

Like would I have problems with DJI transferring the product to a different device
Nothing needs to be transferred. All you'll need to do it install DJI GO 4 on your mobile device, create a DJI account, log in, and fly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic