Best practice for managing multiple batteries?

Reaction score
Hi all. I just received my second P3 battery yesterday from CopterShop. I wanted to ask for some opinions on the best way to manage a second battery.

Typically I only use one battery. Do you keep your 2nd battery fully charged at all times so its ready to go should you decide you want to fly the P3 longer than 20+ mins on the first battery? I know after 6 or 7 days the battery will discharge about 10% right?

or

Do you just alternate between batteries (Leaving one partially charged) so there's equal use and only charge both batteries full if you know you're going somewhere that requires more flight time than 20+mins?

Thanks!

Good question.

I have 3 and have numbered them so i can use them alternately, upto a week ago I was using them every few days 1 or 2 with the 3rd fully charged ready to go but them temperature is so hot at present i have not flown for since and need it too cool down a bit.

I discharge batteries to 50% if I am not using them, I put a car headlight bulb on a lead with terminal into the power contacts of battery.

I just received my second battery. First battery has 8.5 hrs flying time and 33 charges. I keep it at 50%. I plan to alternate them, charging them both to 100% just before a trip out.
I notice that the first battery shows very slight signs of puffing / swelling which is only noticeable when compared to the new one. Life is shown as100 percent on the app, so I'm beginning to wonder how long it will last.

I have 3 all numbered. 1, 2, 3. I always charge all before leaving and use them in the order 1, 2, 3 that way 1 will be worn out before 2 and 2 before 3. This will allow me time to replace a battery and still be able to fly.

If I carefully rotated to ensure even wear I might find myself with 3 dead batteries when I want to fly.

I number and rotate my batteries too. If I know I'm only going to use one battery, then I only charge the battery that's next in the rotation.

Ok cool so I did label mine too. Also noticed my new one is a 2nd click type battery when locking it in.

I'll just charge battery #1 before a flight and when Im finished with it I will rotate it out and the next flight charge battery #2 full. And so forth. If I feel I need a 2nd battery for a particular flight then I will charge both up.

I like the idea of discharging them to 50%. Is everyone using the Car Headlight trick or is there another way as well to quickly discharge?

I have a question about batteries, and firmware updates... I have two batteries, and if I do a firmware update, do I have to do it twice, once for each battery as well?

being a smart battery, what would the issue be charging them to 100%, letting them trickle down over time, and use them when you use them?
Problem for me is i never know when i may go flying :)

I numbered all 6 of mine, and alternate them. I put each one through the "conditioning" of 10 flights for 10 minutes, to leave them at 50% - 60% charge. Once they go through that, I'll fly them down to 20% - 25% or so. Every 20 full charge cycles, I'll run them down to 8% - 10% like the manual says, then recharge to full. I don't charge my batteries until the morning of any outing. About 2 1/2 hours with 4 chargers. Not sure I want to buy 2 more chargers........... but that would make it only an hour to a hour and a half for charging time.

Reactions: silverstoned83
I numbered all 6 of mine, and alternate them. I put each one through the "conditioning" of 10 flights for 10 minutes, to leave them at 50% - 60% charge. Once they go through that, I'll fly them down to 20% - 25% or so. Every 20 full charge cycles, I'll run them down to 8% - 10% like the manual says, then recharge to full. I don't charge my batteries until the morning of any outing. About 2 1/2 hours with 4 chargers. Not sure I want to buy 2 more chargers........... but that would make it only an hour to a hour and a half for charging time.

Do you have OEM chargers? I was thinking of buying an aftermarket one that does 3 batteries. The one I have for my P2 works perfectly for 3 charging at once.

Do you have OEM chargers? I was thinking of buying an aftermarket one that does 3 batteries. The one I have for my P2 works perfectly for 3 charging at once.
Yeah, they're OEM straight from DJI. 4 wall sockets and I'm good to go!

Am i alone in thinking some of this may just become way more work than its worth?

The reason i ask.

Scenario 1 - you charge your batteries full/ let the trickle down, and fly them. charge when needed
Scenario 2 - You treat them like SNERD. baby them, etc... which is great... i envy that committment

What is the overall life expectancy change from 1 to 2?
100 flights vs 200?
100 vs 400?

Just curious. Im someone that if it means that much more work, i may just buy new batteries lol

Am i alone in thinking some of this may just become way more work than its worth?

The reason i ask.

Scenario 1 - you charge your batteries full/ let the trickle down, and fly them. charge when needed
Scenario 2 - You treat them like SNERD. baby them, etc... which is great... i envy that committment

What is the overall life expectancy change from 1 to 2?
100 flights vs 200?
100 vs 400?

Just curious. Im someone that if it means that much more work, i may just buy new batteries lol
Hopefully someone will chime in. I don't know that anything is proven yet on these new P3 batteries either way. There's a poster here who says it's a waste of time to "condition" them. But I've seen a couple of YouTube videos, and posters on other forums, say it's needed for longer life. I had to make an edumacated guess, so I went with babying them!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31