Dji Phantom 3 advanced batteries Question

Reaction score
1......I Have 9 x Phantom 3 advanced batteries
my question is lets say when i check some of the batteries and they have auto discharged from 2 solid leds showing
when i finish flying and storing them
then in a couple of weeks they show 1 solid led,
if i recharge them to show 2 solid leds again does this count as another charge cycle even though they have not been charged to full capacity
the reason for asking is some of the batteries show 20 to 33 cycles even though i have not flown that many times to use the batteries this amount

2.....also if i do charge all of them to full capacity and then discharge them back down to storage level at 15.2 volts, is this ok for storage
the reason i ask is i have 4 x telesin discharges that plug into the battery port and it uses a light to discharge the batteries
it says on the telesin units discharge 15.2v when at this voltage the halogen light goes out

maybe members on here have more experience than i do
or maybe Nigel (solent) may also help please

thanks all regards ian

if i recharge them to show 2 solid leds again does this count as another charge cycle even though they have not been charged to full capacity
The counter should only increment after charging the battery from 0 to 100%. So, two charges from 50% to 100% would increment the counter by one.

if i do charge all of them to full capacity and then discharge them back down to storage level at 15.2 volts, is this ok for storage
It's fine, but it's not a great use of time. Either charge them until the 3rd light starts blinking or fully charge them and let them auto discharge.

1......I Have 9 x Phantom 3 advanced batteries
my question is lets say when i check some of the batteries and they have auto discharged from 2 solid leds showing
when i finish flying and storing them
then in a couple of weeks they show 1 solid led,
the reason for asking is some of the batteries show 20 to 33 cycles even though i have not flown that many times to use the batteries this amount

As another says - it increments charge cycle count ...

2.....also if i do charge all of them to full capacity and then discharge them back down to storage level at 15.2 volts, is this ok for storage
the reason i ask is i have 4 x telesin discharges that plug into the battery port and it uses a light to discharge the batteries
it says on the telesin units discharge 15.2v when at this voltage the halogen light goes out

maybe members on here have more experience than i do
or maybe Nigel (solent) may also help please

thanks all regards ian

The Telsin discharger - I have one and my advice is keep it for charging up your mobile phone or other USB power activities where power from your P3 battery can be used.

As regards discharging the P3 batterys - use the built-in Auto Discharge routine in the battery FW. Set your auto discharge days before start discharge to suit your style. Let the software do the work for you.

As regards how much to charge up to .... I suggest forget all the 50% ... 60% stuff and when the charge level is down to 1 + flashing second LED - then charge up FULL and let the software do the rest.

There really is no point in making work out of this at all.

Attachments

• DJI battery summary.pdf
    61.6 KB · Views: 191
thanks all for you input

i did a test today i had 6 batteries showing 1 solid led i charged them to 2 solid and 1 flashing led
then checked the charge cycle after making a note of the cycles before i started and when taken of the dji charger
they still showed the same amount of the previous start cycles

The subject of Cycles of the batterys comes up quite often. We all accept that incremental addition of cycle occurs and I think we all assume that it is based on charging.

I wonder if the cycles may actually be affected by USE of the battery ... ie in its dscharge as well.

Why I ask this ? I have noted that sometimes the cycle is increased by 1 but not it seems because of only partial charge cycles adding up. I wonder if depth of discharge may be somewhere in there ?

If it is - then it may explain some of the cycle number questions that come up, as we see where person says they haven't knowingly flown or charged as many times as listed.
We'll discount the factory test before shipment ...

Just thinking out loud.

thanks Nigel
i will do a test again after they have auto discharged and check the cycles amount again
you may be right about changing the cycle count after discharge
the other thing i wonder about is, does the cycle amount determine the life span of the battery
or the amount of use after each flight ie the amount taken from the battery in Milliamp hours
never had to do this on the good old lipo's on my fixed wing aircraft and they last for years if looked after
even the 2 cell lipo's for the turbine engine start up motors last a good time
in my turbine jets

regards Ian

Attachments

• DSC01483.JPG
    DSC01483.JPG
    905.2 KB · Views: 212
  • DSC01601.JPG
    DSC01601.JPG
    855.3 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC01456.JPG
    DSC01456.JPG
    823 KB · Views: 206
As you see from my Avatar to left ........ I am actually mainly a Fixed Wing RC Flyer with over 60 models of various size and power systems .... have been RC for about 55yrs ...

The official verdict is that 200 cycles is the advised life of a DJI P3 battery.

Lets put that in real terms ... that equates to a lot more flights than 200. Assume average flight uses 50% of battery ... that means charge cycles are increased by 1 every 2 flights / charges ... meaning 400 flights to get to 200 life cycle.

It used to be said by some - that the battery would stop at 200 - that's rubbish actually - even DJI have debunked that mistaken view. The batterys continue until the FW detects poor cell or failure.

For the average flyer - I suggest that cycles and so is a topic not as important as some may claim. The FW is designed to tell you if there's a fault etc.

Last point : The LED indicators solid are 25% ... while flashing is 12.5% .... so they cannot give you an accurate measure of anything. They are a convenient indicator - that's all, if you want to know real state - then via GO battery menu.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan