Best place to order Phantom 3 and why ?

Unfortunately the first batch is closed. Pre-orders placed today are expected to ship late next week or the following week (first week in May). Orders ship out of both our California and Wisconsin locations. If you are looking to secure a spot in the second batch, give us a call at (855) 625-2055 or shoot us a PM. Thanks again to all of those that have pre-ordered.

OK,OK, just ordered a iPad Mini 2 Wifi only, I can connect to my iPhone 6+ hot spot for maps when needed but I will pre-load the maps for my 3 best flying spots. As I have an all Apple infrastructure at home this will fit right in, I was using my spouse's kindle for some stuff but mostly use the iPhone. I have a Nexus 7 2013 V2 for my P2V but it won't work for the P3, so I can sell that and use the ipad for both, get back some of the iPad's cost.
Why won't your nexus 7 work for the p3 again?

Reactions: Advexure
Why won't your nexus 7 work for the p3 again?

@F6Rider Nexus 7 should work just fine. We are very much Apple guys so don't know the different Nexus versions but maybe your wife had a Nexus 7 I and only the Nexus 7 II is compatible (see attached). Again, not much experience with Android devices but assuming this is what he is referring to @luisrg

Attachments

• AndroidDevices.jpg
    AndroidDevices.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 380
@F6Rider Nexus 7 should work just fine. We are very much Apple guys so don't know the different Nexus versions but maybe your wife had a Nexus 7 I and only the Nexus 7 II is compatible (see attached). Again, not much experience with Android devices but assuming this is what he is referring to @luisrg
I see. Thanks for the explanation. I just got a Dell venue 7000. The thinnest tablet in the world as dell calls it and the it can do anything the latest nexus can do better so I don't see why I won't be able to use it. I thought for a second Android wouldn't be supported on launch and I was not about to spend 400 bucks on an iPad or however much they are. In fact I remember hearing in one of the videos from dji them saying that they use Android because it crashes less. I believe it was the volcano behind the scenes video.

I see. Thanks for the explanation. I just got a Dell venue 7000. The thinnest tablet in the world as dell calls it and the it can do anything the latest nexus can do better so I don't see why I won't be able to use it. I thought for a second Android wouldn't be supported on launch and I was not about to spend 400 bucks on an iPad or however much they are. In fact I remember hearing in one of the videos from dji them saying that they use Android because it crashes less. I believe it was the volcano behind the scenes video.

Yes, we have heard that as well and our customers who use Android love it. We have never had any problems using iPad Air 2's and a 6 Plus here and there. We're definitely all Apple guys around here so unfortunately we don't have a whole lot more to say about Android devices.

Is the Air2 too big? Or is the iPadmini2 a better choice based on size?

It really all depends on personal preference. I would say the Air 2 is a little big but if you don't mind a little more bulky of an iPad on your RC then it's a great choice. The iPad Mini's are definitely more optimal. Whatever you choose you're definitely going to want a sunshade. Let us know what you end up going with and why.

Thanks to all who have provided information on this thread. I cancelled my order through the DJI store and went with Amazon/UAV-Outlet. Still says shipping out on the 15th of May for Pro with an extra battery. Hey look at the positive side... if the folks who get the first orders report major bugs or issues... I'll have time to cancel! :)
Talking to a real person at DJI customer service is an impossible task. If you have questions good luck. Pretty poor customer service for such pricey products.

when do retail stores get the phantoms? already? or future date?

i just talked to a local retailer who stocks the p2 and the inspire, and they are expecting them but no idea when.
is that the typical answer?

Last edited:
From what I've seen, most all of the of the first ones are going out to pre-order customers. Looks like a couple of first batch orders hitting customers and retailers the end of Apr, next mid May and so on. I'm sure once initial demand gets filled, there will start to be "in-stock" orders available at retailers and Amazon etc. But it would just be a guessing game now and depends on demand until stock exceeds orders.

The way it works with new product releases at DJI is they allocate a large percentage of the first units off their docks to tier one authorized dealers and the other chunk is used to begin fulfilling their direct web orders. Most local hobby shops/retailers obtain product through distributors or are 2nd tier dealers that obtain product through first tier dealers. This puts them pretty late in unit allocation, hence why many have mid to late May expected arrival dates, or no dates at all.

All of our first and second batch units are made available for pre-order as soon as DJI releases whatever the new product is. As DJI begins to allocate more units in batches 3 and 4, we then fulfill pre-orders that our 2nd tier dealers or small retail shops that carry DJI have in with us. Hopefully this helps to explain why many are confused by dates that are given to them by local retail stores or hobby shops.

For Phantom 3's and also future product releases, your best bet is always to pre-order early from a tier one authorized dealer. There are many of us that are active here on the forum and also sponsor the forum and are happy to help Phantom Pilots members.

If you are still looking to secure a pre-order slot, orders placed today on our website are expected to ship the first week in May. If you order an Extra Battery Combo we will ship your P3 as soon as we can and your extra battery will ship separately in mid May.

Any questions shoot us a PM or give us a call.

Thanks,
Mike

The fact is that nobody knows in what order the products will be released, while it is true that DJI is competing directly with the dealers, it wrong to assume that DJI will satisfy first tier authorized dealers' orders first.

i have seen a misprint on amazons page before. they dont have to honor anything, and likely wont. they have the ability to cancel any order due to a misprint.

The fact is that nobody knows in what order the products will be released, while it is true that DJI is competing directly with the dealers, it wrong to assume that DJI will satisfy first tier authorized dealers' orders first.

True. But I will say that I spoke with DJI via email and even though I ordered 3 days after launch and have customer ref #10321 I was told my order would not be fulfilled during the first round of shipments. When I replied and asked when the second round is I was told no time frame was known. I tried to attach the screenshots from my phone but it wasn't uploading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True. But I will say that I spoke with DJI via email and even though I ordered 3 days after launch and have customer ref #10321 I was told my order would not be fulfilled during the first round of shipments. When I replied and asked when the second round is I was told no time frame was known. I tried to attach the screenshots from my phone but it wasn't uploading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While some manufacturers have exclusive distribution arrangements with dealers to the extent that the dealers almost always get preferential treatment, I do not believe that this is the case when the said manufacturer is selling directly. The world is a much different place today, there less need for a local distributor. Purchased goods often get to the US faster from China than goods bought from within the US. (I do not know the situation for other parts of the world)

What DJI and in fact any manufacturer needs is good after sales service (technical, customer, repairs) and these are likely negotiated separately from the distribution deals.

Bottom line, I do not think that any dealer can promise to have available the P3 before those that bought directly from DJI.

While some manufacturers have exclusive distribution arrangements with dealers to the extent that the dealers almost always get preferential treatment, I do not believe that this is the case when the said manufacturer is selling directly. The world is a much different place today, there less need for a local distributor. Purchased goods often get to the US faster from China than goods bought from within the US. (I do not know the situation for other parts of the world)

What DJI and in fact any manufacturer needs is good after sales service (technical, customer, repairs) and these are likely negotiated separately from the distribution deals.

Bottom line, I do not think that any dealer can promise to have available the P3 before those that bought directly from DJI.

Well I pre-ordered with both DJI and a preferred DJI vendor. My DJI order number was around 11,000 (ordered Monday after the announcement). The one that ships first is the one I'm keeping. The authorized dealer told me my order would be part of their first batch. So, we'll see who ships first and then we'll have our answer as to whether DJI gives preference to their dealers or direct orders!

Well I pre-ordered with both DJI and a preferred DJI vendor. My DJI order number was around 11,000 (ordered Monday after the announcement). The one that ships first is the one I'm keeping. The authorized dealer told me my order would be part of their first batch. So, we'll see who ships first and then we'll have our answer as to whether DJI gives preference to their dealers or direct orders!

That is called hedging your bets, which is often a good thing.

That is called hedging your bets, which is often a good thing.
Yep. Worst case you "forget" to cancel and you end up with two! Redundancy is *always* a good thing, unless it's a wife (woman is a different story)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20