Best method to hand catch solo

I hand catch exactly like this:

I always land, never had any issues or reason not to land.
Landing on the ground is sometimes not possible. For example, you could be on unlevel terrain or in a field with tall grass.

I've used follow me off the back of my boat of course with the Garmin glo for accuracy and dependability. If you tried to land you would risk the phantom falling in the water, hand catching is the only way to go.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Why hand catch? Assuming you have a spot to take off from you should have a spot to land right?
Well, not really. Check this video. Scroll to 5:45 and watch what happens. This is from a camera we put in the back of my buddies SUV. This is his first flight with my P3P. It didn't end well for him.:) Here's the video from the P3P.

Here's a test flight after the tip over to verify everything is good - scroll to hand catch and shutdown starting at 2:18.

Obviously, flying in windy conditions - especially gusting conditions - is a bad idea. In this case, well away from anything to crash into and considering we drove close to 100 miles to fly a shorty windmill [which I decided against] I decided this would be a good chance for Eric to try flying...:p

Turned out a simple restart took care of the IMU, replace the props - all good.

Normally, I hand catch anyway. Hover the UAV a few feet off the ground, walk to it, grab a leg and then do a shutdown on the RC. No problems - ever - doing that.

Reactions: QaaUz
I land her every time. I can hand catch if needed I did it a few times just to see. I have never had a need to though. I think it's inherently more dangerous, why take the risk?

Before anyone jumps down my throat and tries to argue that hand catching is not any riskier than landing please think about it. I can land and it can go wrong for a multitude of reasons and I wont get hurt. I can hand catch and it can go wrong for a multitude of reasons and I could be injured. Why bother?
I agree what is the point ?? I do understand if your in water but besides that why would you? It lands so nicely if u know how to fly. Maybe it's just a little more exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The most scenic locations to fly in rarely lend themselves to a nice flat ounobstructed landing pad. Mountains, hills, grass, rocks etc. Unless they have a level path or car park. Taking off is different as you have time to find a suitable stable launch pad, but landing is much more precarious.
Saying this I would only hand catch in gps mode as the quad will hover steady enough.

The most scenic locations to fly in rarely lend themselves to a nice flat ounobstructed landing pad. Mountains, hills, grass, rocks etc. Unless they have a level path or car park. Taking off is different as you have time to find a suitable stable launch pad, but landing is much more precarious.
Saying this I would only hand catch in gps mode as the quad will hover steady enough.

Agreed! And I've been in many of those situations where I would launch from my backpack, but hand catch when ready to land because backpack surface area too small.

I have launched a few times by hand. Throttle stick control is a must.

Like hand catching, hand launching is a thrill also.

I catch it facing me, is there any difference?

Don't catch facing you. Make sure you are looking at the battery.
Why? Orientation. You may get confused with direction and panic if a situation arises.
The only benefit from catching it facing you is that you may film how you got your new haircut and possibly become a youtube sensation.

What's the best way to hand catch solo? Assuming I've laid the controller down on the ground.

I've tried it before and the only way I could get the motors to shut down was to pull the battery out.
I always hand retrieve because 90% of the time flying here in Hawaii the ground is way to rough and I fear for the camera. Catch with right hand then left stick down. No big deal and no damage worry Now that i am flying my new P-4 i want to keep the bird pristine.This is a shote taken in the Mojave with a P2+
DSC_3441 (1).jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl