Best format for stills/video format, bitrate ext...

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have seen a lot of bashing on the 4k/60fps so far. What exactly does everyone think the best formats are then? I always used 4k/30 fps on my p3p. I only use it for aerial stills, unclose exterior video and interior videos of homes. (Real estate photography)

Don't let the "bashing" be anything more than people finding something to complain about.

99% of web content is not 4k. Shoot 4k/30 and output 1080p and you'll be stoked. 4k converts to a fantastic 1080p file.

larger sensor = larger photo sites (pixels) = more color depth = yes

Thanks for the help everyone. I think its funny that a lot of people on the forum are bashing the P4P already. I remember that there were a lot of people that were unhappy with the P4 for the first week or two until the firmware updates came.

Thanks to the higher Iso and dynamic range of the P4P you will love it for interior video's/images.
The only drawback for interior images is the longer lens, 24mm instead of the 20mm of the P3P.

I always shoot in 4K/24fps.. i have months of footage... should i switch to 30fps or why did you guys recommend that over 24fps? Is all my footage screwed ?

Bigger sensor equals more data/detail. The difference in sensors is incredible and you'll notice it in video and in 20mp stills.

The stills will be totally amazing! Video effectively depends on the frame rate and encoding tech and bit rate. For best results go to max bit rate, H265 and 4K at 24fps.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I wouldn't recommend the using h265 at all. It's a future proof codec that takes a TON of computing power to manipulate and process. It was designed for satellite and TV 4k broadcasting. Youtube doesn't even support it. Most of the web for that matter.

Don't get me wrong. H.265 has some fantastic advantages. Same vid quality at lower bitrates, but the downside is it takes serious processing power to encode and play it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend the using h265 at all. It's a future proof codec that takes a TON of computing power to manipulate and process. It was designed for satellite and TV 4k broadcasting. Youtube doesn't even support it. Most of the web for that matter.

Don't get me wrong. H.265 has some fantastic advantages. Same vid quality at lower bitrates, but the downside is it takes serious processing power to encode and play it.

I agree as to the final production. The point I am trying to make is to get as much detail quality as possible in the original recording. Then you take it from there to whatever is reasonable to what is needed.

I agree as to the final production. The point I am trying to make is to get as much detail quality as possible in the original recording. Then you take it from there to whatever is reasonable to what is needed.

We're on the same page, the problem is a lot of people don't have the computing power to export it quickly, or the time to wait while it takes 2 hours.

My tests so far show no visual difference between h.264 and h.265. To my eyes at least, they look the same even at 400% magnification of busy moving foliage scenes.

Reactions: maseman88
My tests so far show no visual difference between h.264 and h.265. To my eyes at least, they look the same even at 400% magnification of busy moving foliage scenes.
good to know. ty!

I take that back.. there are very subtle differences that make the h265 motion seem a little smoother than h264, I think. Hard to describe. In any event, I don't think it's something you'd notice in day-to-day usage unless you display all your footage on huge 4k screens..

Reactions: Roamer105

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic