Best format for stills/video format, bitrate ext...

Why not 30fps? Just Curious

I did mean "best results" as in optimal. 24fps is less information than 30fps. Technically the 24fps video quality should be just a little better than the 30fps version given the same encoder and bitrate. In reality the difference is most likely barely noticeable...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

What exactly does everyone think the best formats are then?
Everyone on the internet wants the "best" everything.
But when it comes to settings (and a lot of other things) there is no one-size-fist-all best solution.
That's why there are different settings - to deal with different conditions, different subjects and different ways of shooting.

Reactions: MarcelV
No current Macbook has hardware h.265 acceleration as far as I know, whereas any Macbook newer than 2013 does have hardware h.264 acceleration. So it'll be a much smoother experience editing h.264 files directly (if iMovie is anything like FCPX). To edit h.264 files in iMovie, you'd need to use some other software to transcode them to prores first.

The quality differences aren't so pronounced. I think the convenience of working with h.264 and not having to convert files to prores WAY outweighs the

No current Macbook has hardware h.265 acceleration as far as I know, whereas any Macbook newer than 2013 does have hardware h.264 acceleration. So it'll be a much smoother experience editing h.264 files directly (if iMovie is anything like FCPX). To edit h.264 files in iMovie, you'd need to use some other software to transcode them to prores first.

The quality differences aren't so pronounced. I think the convenience of working with h.264 and not having to convert files to Prores WAY outweighs the minor visual quality differences.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik