Best colors for visibility at altitude?

Reaction score
When my white phantom 3 standard gets about 300 feet up or away it’s hard to see against white clouds. I bought a strobe from the UK but it doesn’t help. I wonder if I can paint it or do a wrap that would improve visibility? What color? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited:
Its a universal problem for all RC flying models. No-one has come up with the universal proven answer yet.

The Phantom has a distinct disadvantage in this as well ... its small and no large surface areas to even start to use contrasting colours.

If you check out aerobatic fixed wing machines - you will often note fancy graphics on top - but black / white chequer underside of wing. This helps a lot in orientation of model. But even that at distance blends out.

It also depends on the amount of light ... sunlight / cloud / overcast as well - in sunlight cloudless days - it can be worse than a grey overcast day etc.

Reactions: chux72vette
When my white phantom 3 standard gets about 300 feet up or away it’s hard to see against white clouds. I bought a strobe from the UK but it doesn’t help. I wonder if I can paint it or do a wrap that would improve visibility? What color? Any other suggestions? Thanks!
I use strobes as well, however, only effective under ideal conditions. And regardless of color, the drone isn't all that big. I have found using the map to be my best friend. The icon will always tell me what direction it's heading in relation to home.

Reactions: chux72vette
Sprayed mine black and has strobes ,,white to me is terrible,,clean and cool but that it
15570004518981501786663.jpg
1557000577157-1805077425.jpg

When I got my P3S, painted my old P2V+ different colors to see what works best. On a good clear day I can see my Phantoms to about 800 feet, less with a murky, cloudy sky. Came to the conclusion a brighter color just doesn't extend the range of visibility more than about 100 feet. About the same range as a strobe. Which makes me wonder how these airline pilots are seeing drones on approach at 3,000 ft. traveling 200 knots. That's about 300 ft./sec. for maybe a 3 second shot at the drone if you're looking right at it. But, that's another story. In short, paint for the looks, but a lot of effort to pick up just a few extra feet of visibility which will vary depending on sky/cloud conditions.

I have a Phantom 4 pro Obsidian the best drone Dji has ever put on the market. It's matt black and very visible in almost all weather conditions I can see it as far as 1/4 mile away and 300 feet high. I wouldn't consider painting as it will add weight and cut flight time a little. I wouldn't wrap it with any kind of shin or colored tape either. This can impede any inspection you my do when checking for cracks on the hull of the aircraft.

I added a red and white strobe to one of my drones to aid in orientation (drone coming toward you the red strobe would be on your right). It works well to a point but the red will wash out long before the white so the orientation benefit is lost at distance but you still are able to spot the location of the drone further than you could without the strobe. The strobes have to be charged so it is one more matter to charge when you're going to use them.

We found that at 1500 ft everything looks black , so getting a non shiny black is best.
If your looking for something at 300 /400 ft Red and Black gives you a good visual and quick orientation of the drone .
If your flying in the woods, ,trees after the sun is going down Neon Blue is awesome also gives quick orientation of the drone.

Having the two tone color on the phantom really provides some contrast in the blue sky and help the visual immensely.

We find the strobes awkward as they bring to much attention , so prefer just a nice visual.

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor
Gear for flying your phantom 4 in and out of the storm.

I made my own decal from a picture I found on the internet. Doesn't really improve it's visibility but it kind of looks neat!!

Attachments

• IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 332
We found that at 1500 ft everything looks black , so getting a non shiny black is best.
If your looking for something at 300 /400 ft Red and Black gives you a good visual and quick orientation of the drone .
If your flying in the woods, ,trees after the sun is going down Neon Blue is awesome also gives quick orientation of the drone.

Having the two tone color on the phantom really provides some contrast in the blue sky and help the visual immensely.

We find the strobes awkward as they bring to much attention , so prefer just a nice visual.

Phantomrain.org
Approved Vendor
Gear for flying your phantom 4 in and out of the storm.
Good information. Thanks!

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
I think plain, boring matte black works well. I was looking for a fluorescent orange skin but could not find the right color. Could not find a matte black one that I liked either. Even though the one I got is shiney it is much better than the white.

Reactions: lmaupin
I think plain, boring matte black works well. I was looking for a fluorescent orange skin but could not find the right color. Could not find a matte black one that I liked either. Even though the one I got is shiney it is much better than the white.
Thank you, bdooley. Did you use paint, tape or wrap and what materials exactly? Any changes in drone performance, reception or decreases distance? Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT