Phantom 4 Pro Plus

Reaction score
Website
agldigitalimagery.com
I’m having an issue with my phantom 4 pro + I’m really hoping you folks can help me with. I don’t know if this has been asked, I couldn’t find a thread on it. Please forgive me if it’s been asked and answered already. I’m trying to give you the best/most info possible so I am not wasting anyone’s time.

Here’s the specifics:

Hardware:
Phantom 4 Pro + V1 and GLE 300 RC

Firmware:
App 4.2.6
Aircraft firmware 01.05.0600 all three fly safe databases 01.00.01.19
GLE 300 firmware – GLE300E_v1430_20200519 updated this morning

Currently showing two warnings:
1 – Camera Sensor Error
2 – Aircraft Encoder Error (0X20) flashing on the status screen

History:
I don’t know. I bought it used. When I went to get buy it it was raining so I didn’t fly it. I did power it on and start the motors (no props) in the sellers house, no issues, no warnings. No evidence of crashes or landings.

Symptom:
The video screen was slightly pixelated and would drop out with the RC and AC a few feet from each other. After updating the RC firmware that seems to be better, but the real issue is still there. The real issue is the fact that the video signal seems to be generally craptastic at anything more than 10-20’ away, sometimes as close as a few feet away. The farthest I’ve managed to go was 1,000’, the signal kept dropping out, but only for very short times. The video (LINK) shows the real situation. In the video, I started with the props parallel to the ground because the drone would end up right over my head. As I flew it farther away I moved the antennas to be 90º to the ground.

Besides posting here and bothering you fine folk, I’m researching the two warnings mentioned above. The camera sensor error resets after cycling the AC power once or twice, I’ve not seen the encoder error before right now.
If I were a betting man, I’d bet that you’re going to say I need to replace the ribbon cable. I’m fine doing that, I’d just want a little verification before I do it. I don’t want to throw parts at it.

I really appreciate any time you spend on helping me out with this.

WELCOME ABOARD! ??

Welcome to the forum from Lansing (almost neighbors). I can't help with your specific issue but hoping someone on the forum can. Your video makes it very clear what you are dealing with. As a last resort send it to DJI. I've seen a few complaints about their service but I have sent my P4P back at least 4 times (all crashes) and they have been very fair with me. It takes about 10 days round trip and you not being the original owner may complicate things. There are also several "repair" houses that have had good reviews. You will have to search for those. Sorry to not offer much but sympathy. All problems are solvable; the only question is the time and cost....

Ayuh...I also will hope that BigAl107 or some other will be able to get you answers, but one thing I noticed that you've not mentioned is that the map screen (bottom left of your app screen) shows nothing. You showed perfectly good sat connection and your signal meters (upper right) didn't waiver that I noticed, but there could well be a connection between your unintended yaw motion and there being no map indication. I also wonder what connection--if any--there is to the fact that you are trying to take off in/near a no-fly zone. Admittedly, that appears to be capped at almost 500', but....

Funny that at 0:51 when you get red "No Signal" message in upper left all your signal strength indicators upper right are still good and strong.

Another observation: you were flying on 2.4 Wi-Fi, and in a neighbourhood where many of your neighbours may be broadcasting their Wi-Fi networks on same: why not put the bird and controler on Auto Select function for that? That could also have an impact on your image transmission issues.

And another...: at 2:21 you are at 200' over Launch Alt and you suddenly show obstacle avoidance indicator--what's THAT about??

No clue on the gimbal issues.

Can you upload your DAT files? --That will provide answers to those who know what to do with them.

Finally, I would strongly caution against flying "so far" away and so high when you appear to be skirting so closely to loss of control: that route Bad Things live.

Good luck!

Ayuh...I also will hope that BigAl107 or some other will be able to get you answers, but one thing I noticed that you've not mentioned is that the map screen (bottom left of your app screen) shows nothing. You showed perfectly good sat connection and your signal meters (upper right) didn't waiver that I noticed, but there could well be a connection between your unintended yaw motion and there being no map indication. I also wonder what connection--if any--there is to the fact that you are trying to take off in/near a no-fly zone. Admittedly, that appears to be capped at almost 500', but....

Funny that at 0:51 when you get red "No Signal" message in upper left all your signal strength indicators upper right are still good and strong.

Another observation: you were flying on 2.4 Wi-Fi, and in a neighbourhood where many of your neighbours may be broadcasting their Wi-Fi networks on same: why not put the bird and controler on Auto Select function for that? That could also have an impact on your image transmission issues.

And another...: at 2:21 you are at 200' over Launch Alt and you suddenly show obstacle avoidance indicator--what's THAT about??

No clue on the gimbal issues.

Can you upload your DAT files? --That will provide answers to those who know what to do with them.

Finally, I would strongly caution against flying "so far" away and so high when you appear to be skirting so closely to loss of control: that route Bad Things live.

Good luck!

Ayuh...I also will hope that BigAl107 or some other will be able to get you answers, but one thing I noticed that you've not mentioned is that the map screen (bottom left of your app screen) shows nothing.
I didn't even notice that! Thanks for bringing that out.

You showed perfectly good sat connection and your signal meters (upper right) didn't waiver that I noticed, but there could well be a connection between your unintended yaw motion and there being no map indication. I also wonder what connection--if any--there is to the fact that you are trying to take off in/near a no-fly zone. Admittedly, that appears to be capped at almost 500',
I am near restricted space, but my other P4P has no issue at all here. I had a mavic and an inspire, and currently have an Autel EVO as well. This is the only bird to give me fits.

I tried switching to 5.8 and get a warning. I can't remember the exactly what it said, but it said that my cell phone might be causing interference?
Something to that effect. Again, none of my other drones have ever shown me that message. And the GO4 app shows I'm on auto, not custom. I can certainly go somewhere more rural and give it a go, but that has never been an issue before.

If I only knew.

Where/how do I get those? How do I post them here, or would I send them to someone that knows what to do with them?

Agreed. I only flew that far away because I figured if I just hovered overhead someone would say 'you know you get bad reception directly overhead, don't you? haha.

Not sure about the video connection but if you haven't already, doing a gimble calibration and possibly IMU also, may fix a couple problems. Maybe a loose antennae cable in the remote. You have another remote to link and try.

Not sure about the video connection but if you haven't already, doing a gimble calibration and possibly IMU also, may fix a couple problems. Maybe a loose antennae cable in the remote. You have another remote to link and try.
I tried calibrating the gimble twice, but not the IMU. And I'm kind of embarrassed that I didn't try swapping remotes yet. I was hoping I'd post here and someone would say "hey, that's common. You just have to unplug this connector, lick it, and plug it back in and that'll fix it" haha.

Reactions: Capt KO
The camera horizontal can also be adjusted manually in the app. The yaw drift has been discussed before if you try search. (P4P yaw drift).

The problem is that you seem to have more than 1 issue taking place, Now you can go about it fixing it piece meal or
if it were me I would replace the lower housing as both the IMU and the Motherboard most likely need replacing as that drone is showing
signs of being in the Water to long, This is where it would help knowing the History of the drone .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom in the Rain and Float on Water.

The problem is that you seem to have more than 1 issue taking place, Now you can go about it fixing it piece meal or
if it were me I would replace the lower housing as both the IMU and the Motherboard most likely need replacing as that drone is showing
signs of being in the Water to long, This is where it would help knowing the History of the drone .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom in the Rain and Float on Water.
I agree, I have two issues here. I really, really hope it doesn't need the IMU and MoBo. I don't know that the drone is worth that much. I shudder to think of what those cost.

The camera gimble IMU board (inside camera back cover) controls some camera and gimble functions. A few ribbons attach to it. Have had to replace on 2 pros already and probably a 3rd on one I just received. Not cheap! Worth checking the connections on it. symptoms are glitchy video and strange gimbal functions. Sound familiar? If confident enough, you could switch it with your good one before purchase, to confirm. This is separate from your connection problems, which takes priority.

Reactions: DrBoost
The plot thickens. I went to replace the flat cable (no, I didn't swap controllers, doing that today) and found that someone already has. With an aftermarket cable. There was a section that must have been too long so he doubled it up. And there is a little 'pigtail' from the ribbon that isn't connected to anything. So, I put it back together and I'll order the correct cable. I'm going to swap controllers today, but I think I have a gimbal issue (cale?) and another, unrelated issue that's causing the range issue.
IMG_2391.jpg

IMG_2390.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

Good find. Should fix camera / gimble issue. Look at your antennae connections while open. Others under the leg caps. Someone may have messed with them too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen