Best camera settings for 4k?

I have achieved good results with dlog on my MP and expected to use dlog on my new P4P. Looks like many/most are not using dlog due to poor results or just preference? Appears it will come down to spending time and experimenting to find something that fits best with what I'm trying to achieve and fits into my work flow.

3840x2160
H264 Because I found this to not have banding issues in highlights in an old test as opposed to H265
Truecolor because doesn't push highlights as opposed to Cinelike
-1/0/0 because just best
@25p because I live in PAL area. If I were to shoot something 'cool' I'd shoot it in 50p for slow-mo ability.
Shutter always 1/50th. Have ND8 at disposal.

White balance can be hard set at 5500 (or 5000). You would never be under it unless you are shooting indoors or at night. Outside its rarely over 6500 unless in the snowy alps, or desert, during the middle of the day or something. Should fluctate between 5 and 6000ish.

Try to shoot at 2.8->6.1 f stop. Never over 7.

Personal opinion..

Read here for more info regarding White balance. Pretty important.. I cannot use auto mode because it shifts while recording and then you are in world of **** in post.

Introduction to White Balance

Last edited:
Reactions: BeeLab and trickhog
One of the simplest and most concise explanations of the 1/24, 2x standard/preference can be seen here:

How Shutter Speeds & Frame Rates Can Be Used to Change the Look & Feel of Your Film

I would say that for drone footage 24 fps is, as has been mentioned, just too slow and "jittery". 60 fps seems ideal but the quality just is not there yet (for 4k) so my current choice is 30 fps.

Still, I find that slowing down the shutter speed towards 2* framerate still has it's place to avoid the super-sharp look you get at say 1/1000.

This certainly depends on both the scene and the indented usage and therefore ends up as a creative choice.

In the example below, I have for the waterfall scenes, gone the other way by slowing down as much as possible (1/30 shutter at 30 framerate) to maximally blur the water and avoid a almost digital look.

(edit: go to 1:40 for waterfalls, the linking removed the time-indication)

But again, going for a super-fast shutterspeed is a valid creative choice.

Reactions: Dronefriend
Saying 24fps is too slow a frame rate for drone use is simply ridiculous. It depends what look you're going for (and what your subject matter is) but in general higher frame rates will give you a crisper look with less motion blur and 24fps gives a more cinematic look with more motion blur. Yes, if you are doing fast pans and your location has a lot of fine details with higher contrast then higher frame rates are called for but let's not claim that 24fps can't give a beautiful look from a P4P. That's just not true.

Reactions: KevMo Photog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94