Best approach for wind speed

Their is an app for IOS that's called drone buddy that's good to. Just remember at ground level a 15 mph wind at 200 ft can be 25-35 mph. image.jpeg

Great idea Wibble. I was able to find the bubbles, but am having a hard time finding the bubble blower.

LOL she does blow pretty hard................
Seriously though I do take bubble mixture with me sometimes if I am flying in awkward areas around waterfalls etc it is great for seeing where the wind currents are - that is my excuse anyway!!!

I look around for tell tale signs..
Trees uprooted...
Cows missing...
Cars on their side...
Neighbours chairs in your pool...
Oh... common sense... if it looks and sounds windy... then call it day or wait till it passes.

Reactions: yorlik
The wind at 5 feet is usually much different than the wind at 400 feet. This is especially true if you live in a hilly area with lots of trees. That's why I am putting in another vote for uavforecast. It's not always precise - but it tends to err on the high side which means the wind may not be quite as strong as forecast. Also, the direction may be off a bit. Still - it's better than anything else I've seen.

I always find it interesting to look at my healthy drones report on wind speed. It amazes me sometimes because on days when I feel it's just a light wind, my HD report shows there was 30mph gusts.
Some other days where it is a little windy I find its up around 40mph!

Most definitely that upper level wind is not what it seems on the ground.

For certain, these phantoms handle strong wind pretty **** well. Of course it's a drain on the battery and possibly impacting the health of the drone, but hey; I'm glad I got up in the air that day. :)

Been super windy in Michigan lately.. I fly anyways, my phantom holds up pretty good on high winds. Make sure your props are balanced and set the braking super low.
What is this? Is there a setting somewhere that adjusts the braking action that I haven't found?

Hi, I would like to discuss what is the best app for checking the wind at my place of flight.
I want opinions of pilots to make sure I get the correct wind speed at my local area
Checking wind speed at the 5 foot mark only tells you what the wind speed is at 5 foot. Many times you'll be sheltered from true wind, and winds aloft can increase substantially with elevation. If in doubt, proceed with caution, or wait for another day.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20