Best approach for wind speed

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to discuss what is the best app for checking the wind at my place of flight.
I want opinions of pilots to make sure I get the correct wind speed at my local area

A handheld wind meter (like this one) could come in handy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Falcon900
I take a different approach. If I know there is wind in the area, I'll get up to approx 100ft and go in atti mode and see which way it's moving and how much stick it needs to keep steady.

While this does not come in app form I like this site the best and they are a member here too.
UAV Weather Forecast
You can choose all the data, formats, and even the height the wind speed detects which is important as the wind speed will vary drastically from what is at ground level.

Been super windy in Michigan lately.. I fly anyways, my phantom holds up pretty good on high winds. Make sure your props are balanced and set the braking super low.

Worth noting (as others have done in atti mode) that just because your hand held meter shows a low wind speed does not mean its a low wind speed at 300ft, and vice versa.

Personally I also do visual checks like the speed/direction of clouds, maybe smoke, even tail trees to give me a general 'picture' of my environment.

Reactions: reboot81
Don't use only one source and as nickyb said, watch your environment.
Especially in mountain, the wind can be a lot strong if just fly over some mountain crest and get the wind in fully. The P3 is not always able to compete with such wind but it try always to come back home even if you have some very very long minutes till you see it back (own experience).

Reactions: nickyb
A wet finger. :p

If it's too windy at the surface it doesn't matter what it is above. ;)

While this does not come in app form I like this site the best and they are a member here too.
UAV Weather Forecast
You can choose all the data, formats, and even the height the wind speed detects which is important as the wind speed will vary drastically from what is at ground level.
This is the definitive weather Information service for UAVs and other aircraft.

Reactions: CloudsNeverDie
Use the apps mentioned for basic wind data at ground level. If you fly between structures, canyons, or high, assume there will be stronger winds aloft including wind gusts. I've see the phantom get stalled in my return direction when flying over a canyon due to unpredictable gusts. Just like rip currents in the water, fly to side, lower elevations, then try return direction again. Hopefully you are able to return to your home point eventually. Lost a bird this way but at least the HD uplink footage was spectacular!

Thanks everybody, I fly in Miami Florida and as you guys might knoe, in their season we get a lot of wind current due to hurricane season and tons of wind gusts at 15 and plus mph

.... I also do visual checks like the speed/direction of clouds, maybe smoke, even tail trees to give me a general 'picture' of my environment.

Down here, 'tailing' someone means to follow them. If you're following a tree, unless you live in a land with Ents, then it's probably blowing a little too hard for the Phantom ... probably too hard for a 747 actually ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl