Beginner tips

Reaction score
Hello. I know that there are propably many topics like this. But i would like to make fresh one, maybe with some new questions, don't be mad :D

Tomorrow my P4A is coming, and i want to ask You more what i should NOT do, specially at beginning. And i heard maaaany different things about mobile device you are using with DJI drones, anyone got any experience with Pixel XL or Note 8? And should i go stright away with Litchi app, or start with DJI GO?

Is it like i should just update firmware, download app and I'm ready to go, or there is something more to do?

Much appreciate any help :)

Tomorrow my P4A is coming, and i want to ask You more what i should NOT do, specially at beginning. And i heard maaaany different things about mobile device you are using with DJI drones, anyone got any experience with Pixel XL or Note 8? And should i go stright away with Litchi app, or start with DJI GO?

Is it like i should just update firmware, download app and I'm ready to go, or there is something more to do?

Here's your manual, You have some homework to do before flying.
A couple of don'ts for you
Don't launch from or land on a steel or reinforced concrete surface
Leave things alone, don't try to calibrate anything before you fly
Don't try early flights inside or close to trees, buildings and other obstacles.
Don't even look at Litchi until you are completely familiar with flying your Phantom.
Litchi is a supplement to Go, rather than a replacement.

When you get it you'll find that it's much easier to fly than you imagine.
It takes about 5 minutes to learn - but a lot of practice and experience to become proficient.
Don't let the simplicity make you get too adventurous too early.
There are many things that can go wrong and you need to understand what they are and how to make sure they don't happen to you.

Do your early flights in a large open area, well away from trees, buildings and obstacles.
Be afraid, very afraid of trees, buildings etc. They are involved in most incidents.

Read up on return to home procedures, practise using RTH and cancelling it so you understand how it works and how you can resume control in an RTH situation.

Thanks, a lot :) But now i got different problem - my Phantom is here, but battery is like "dead", when charging - no led is lights up, that could mean that is fully charged, but when it's in drone, or in my hand, i cant get it to work, like I'm pressing button on it for few second, just clicking, clicking few times in a row - nothing seems to work. Am I missing something?

Thanks, a lot :) But now i got different problem - my Phantom is here, but battery is like "dead", when charging - no led is lights up, that could mean that is fully charged, but when it's in drone, or in my hand, i cant get it to work, like I'm pressing button on it for few second, just clicking, clicking few times in a row - nothing seems to work. Am I missing something?
If the LEDs don't light up when you press the battery button or when it's in the charger, then it sounds like the battery is toast. Where did you buy it from? Can you exchange the whole package for a new one?

I'm trying one "fix" that helped some people when the battery was "dead". I will let you know in like 1 hour if it worked.

Hope the battery fix works for you. As to what NOT to do, YouTube is full of videos showing that all too well... Some actually very good informative ones as well. My overall advice is to read the manuals carefully, and as a former full-size pilot, place a imaginary bit of yourself flying with the bird, don't push the envelope doing things you wouldn't risk with you in the cockpit. (unless you have unlimited funds for buying a replacement, and are sure you won't damage anyone or anything else if you lose it). Following this advice will earn you lots of hours of fun and seeing things from the air that you could never see from the ground.

No i don't have so much money to crash one after another :D I bought it because it was my little dream to have one, and in 1 month im going trip on few Europe countries like Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Italy, and i wanted to have as much souvenirs from there as i can get :p

OK just to update - no solution that i was able to find online worked ;) I bought new battery and will be sending "old" one to DJI.

Here's your manual, You have some homework to do before flying.
A couple of don'ts for you
Don't launch from or land on a steel or reinforced concrete surface
Leave things alone, don't try to calibrate anything before you fly
Don't try early flights inside or close to trees, buildings and other obstacles.
Don't even look at Litchi until you are completely familiar with flying your Phantom.
Litchi is a supplement to Go, rather than a replacement.

When you get it you'll find that it's much easier to fly than you imagine.
It takes about 5 minutes to learn - but a lot of practice and experience to become proficient.
Don't let the simplicity make you get too adventurous too early.
There are many things that can go wrong and you need to understand what they are and how to make sure they don't happen to you.

Do your early flights in a large open area, well away from trees, buildings and obstacles.
Be afraid, very afraid of trees, buildings etc. They are involved in most incidents.

Read up on return to home procedures, practise using RTH and cancelling it so you understand how it works and how you can resume control in an RTH situation.

Reactions: Fester
I was lucky, son brought my P3P in June, taught me how to fly it (he also has a Phantom) and I have a big empty field near my home to fly it The field overlooks the Pacific Ocean and I have permanent permission to fly there. I was, and am lucky, as flying only depends on weather.

I was lucky, son brought my P3P in June, taught me how to fly it (he also has a Phantom) and I have a big empty field near my home to fly it The field overlooks the Pacific Ocean and I have permanent permission to fly there. I was, and am lucky, as flying only depends on weather.
You ARE lucky!

Hello. I know that there are propably many topics like this. But i would like to make fresh one, maybe with some new questions, don't be mad :D

So you just spent about $2000 on your drone, My Advice, stop asking for advice and spend a couple more dollars and take a flight class.

You may want to watch this video before you do any flying then.....
How to crash your drone...

Cheers,
Ian

Reactions: novi81
So you just spent about $2000 on your drone, My Advice, stop asking for advice and spend a couple more dollars and take a flight class.

Good advice.

The opening post reads like:

"Hello guys, I just bought a guitar, yet I know nothing about guitars. So when it arrives, how do I play it?"

We need to have a poll here, about how long before Broniu starts a thread saying "Help! I crashed my P4A! Will DJI replace it, as it's the drone's fault!"

Good advice.

The opening post reads like:

"Hello guys, I just bought a guitar, yet I know nothing about guitars. So when it arrives, how do I play it?"

We need to have a poll here, about how long before Broniu starts a thread saying "Help! I crashed my P4A! Will DJI replace it, as it's the drone's fault!"

I think you're being a bit harsh here. He's asked for general adviice on what not to do, a lot of the advice we can give is not in the manual, and forums are generally for helping each other, not deriding new starters.
Sometimes you do try and buy a decent model so you don't have to spend more money upgrading. If photography is the OP's main reasion for buying, (as oppsoed to flying model aircraft), then that may have swayed his decision to go for the P4A....
In saying all that, let's hope he doesn't post a tale of woe on here shortly :)

Ian

Reactions: cneedelman
I think you're being a bit harsh here. He's asked for general adviice on what not to do, a lot of the advice we can give is not in the manual, and forums are generally for helping each other, not deriding new starters.
Yeah, I was just being sarcastic. Sort of.

There's a MASSIVE amount of this info on You Tube if people just look for it.

If the LEDs don't light up when you press the battery button or when it's in the charger, then it sounds like the battery is toast. Where did you buy it from? Can you exchange the whole package for a new one?
Wrong.... As the guy asked... You DON'T just press the button and it turns on

Press it once...

Then press it again and hold the button down.

It will come to life then [emoji4]

If it was in the charger and don't charge then I am wrong and apologise to anotherlab

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl