Reaction score
I recently flew my phantom 3 advanced in Arizona, and after landing it, k noticed I had trouble getting the battery out, i i pled it out and noticed it was very hot, the temperature out side was around 90 ( so it is my fault). After feeling the battery, I noticed it was a little stretched out ( casing was just bending slightly, not cracked). I let the battery cool it's self down, and it is no longer enlarged, but the sides allow me to push down on it (only like a millimeter). It still turns on, and I have not tried to charge it yet, I was just wondering if it is still safe to use, or is it not worth the risk. I have two batteries to use, and buying another won't be a big issue, any help or opinions would be appreciated, thankyou

I would agree with Rod and Droner above, that battery may be compromised due to overheating. It must have gotten really hot if the case actually deformed. I always recommend having a couple of spares on hand, if for nothing else other than additional flight time. In your case, I definitely suggesting buying at least one more spare to replace the suspect battery. New DJI P3 batteries can be found on eBay for well under $100. Seems like I saw someone recently selling two of them for not much much money in the Classifieds section on this site. You might want to contact DJI to get their recommendation on the future of that battery. Good luck.

I have one battery - DJI original - that has a slight bulge - and I have to shove a bit harder to get it in ... works fine ... been like that more than a year.

True puffing where you cannot get it in ... discharge it and dispose of it....

Nigel

So how hot is too hot in y'alls experience? I have one that gets hot to handle after a full flight (17 - 20 minutes) but there is no bulging.

So how hot is too hot in y'alls experience? I have one that gets hot to handle after a full flight (17 - 20 minutes) but there is no bulging.
I'd keep a close eye on it, to say the least. If it's heating that much, it will likely be bulging soon. I just "retired" two P4 batteries myself.
Like the man says, "You can pay me now, or you can PAY me later!" :)

If you cannot hold the battery - its too hot.

Note : Heated batterys are an indication of either / both :

1. High demand for extended period in work. ie Full throttle or high speed for significant part of flight causing high amp drain.
The Quad has an additional factor in this ... hovering actually can create a high load especially in conditions where a lof of corrective action is going on by Flight Controller to maintain against winds etc. Usually hovering will be moderate load but strong or buffeting winds can create high load.

2. Battery getting older and its internal resistance increasing. This is an irreversible item and will only get worse over time. With a battery that stays less hot in short or mild flight - then this battery is good for short use or doing updates / simulator etc. But as it starts to increase its temperature in use - then its getting ready for retirement to bench use only.

Nigel

Nigel, what is the highest temperature that won’t deform the battery ? I have one that keeps reaching 56*C after long run flights (it has <60 charges).

Nigel, what is the highest temperature that won’t deform the battery ? I have one that keeps reaching 56*C after long run flights (it has <60 charges).

That is like asking - how long a piece of string.

If the battery is getting old and high resistance ... then a lower high temp will do it.

The age-old saying ... too hot to handle ... is good enough factor to use.

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20