Battery Retirement Poll

For those who have retired a battery, how many charges did it provide?

• 50-100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100-150

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • 150 to 200

• 200 to 300

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • over 300

• Total voters
Reaction score
I've heard for a couple years that DJI batteries last about 100 to 150 charges before they start having such cell deviations that the battery wasn't trustworthy, so they have to be retired. What has your experience been? I have so many batteries that I've never gone over 75 charges yet, so I'm wondering what your experiences have been.

Im talking 200 flights, that’s 138 to 142 charge cycles flying down to around 30% remaining capacity as an average. I never leave a pack at 100% charge for more than 24 hours and aim for 40% storage level, packs are stored in clip lock bags in the fridge if I won’t be using for more than a week, other than that below 24deg C. I could have flown them longer, no significant balance issues over 70mv however capacity was lost and I spend a LOT of time in circumstances where a mishap would be an unrecoverable AC (over rough terrain or salt water).

Currently at 187 flights, 770 klms and between 105-110 charging cycles for my batteries. I took @With The Birds advice ages ago regarding charging, storage and end of flight % and I'm sitting at approximately 90% remaining life (according to
Airdata). I've had a couple of >70 mV deviations but no issues as yet and from memory I was giving the drone a hard time being the fool.
Doing pre and post start inspections and giving Dorothy a little kiss at the end of each flight doesn't go astray either...

Currently at 187 flights, 770 klms and between 105-110 charging cycles for my batteries. I took @With The Birds advice ages ago regarding charging, storage and end of flight % and I'm sitting at approximately 90% remaining life (according to
Airdata). I've had a couple of >70 mV deviations but no issues as yet and from memory I was giving the drone a hard time being the fool.
Doing pre and post start inspections and giving Dorothy a little kiss at the end of each flight doesn't go astray either...
That’s seeming on the money! The one I quoted on was the worst pack I have had (earliest retirement). He was down 20%+ on initial new capacity.

Reactions: tevek
At 88% life with 56 charges on one battery and 84% with 76 charges on another battery. That can't be right???

That’s seeming on the money! The one I quoted on was the worst pack I have had (earliest retirement). He was down 20%+ on initial new capacity.
Well hopefully I can get to 150+ cycles out of the batteries and either retain them for upgrades etc when they become 'iffy' to trust for normal flying or hold some sort of disposal ceremony when they are finally spent. Apparently my pre start routine is similar to that of Valentino Rossi before he races - so says the wife.
Cheers!

I have 3 batteries 2 of which charge normally but number 3 which is the newest will only charge if I turn it on.
Any ideas?
Have you had a battery you have retired due to condition? How may charges had it had? You could complete the poll while your at it.

Usually the needing to be turned in to charge js because the lack is close to fiull.

Hopefully we can keep this thread on track- this is a great idea for a poll- haven’t see. One for a while.

Last edited:
At 88% life with 56 charges on one battery and 84% with 76 charges on another battery. That can't be right???
It might be. How far do you fly them down to? What level do you stor them at etc. I have seen lipos killed with a dozen flights on them, usually from being allowed to discharge tknir below 3v/cell.

It might be. How far do you fly them down to? What level do you stor them at etc. I have seen lipos killed with a dozen flights on them, usually from being allowed to discharge tknir below 3v/cell.
I usually come in to land at 30% and then hover till it gets to 20% so I'm not sure why it's getting bad. I use a 3rd party charger where it charges 3 batteries and the controller at the dame time. Do you think that might cause the problem?

I usually come in to land at 30% and then hover till it gets to 20% so I'm not sure why it's getting bad. I use a 3rd party charger where it charges 3 batteries and the controller at the dame time. Do you think that might cause the problem?
Personally I try to get to the drone landed at roughly 30% as I don't trust the % and use the voltage icon as an indicator as to what is going on with the battery. As for your charger setup, you can still check the app to see where your battery is sitting after charging up. My take would be that if the charging setup is not up to it, all your batteries including the RC would be giving you grief. You can also review the AC battery performance on Airdata if you have access to it.

Reactions: Neon Euc
Which battery is doing better, new or OEM?

The new battery is doing better and both OEM but I am def going wrong somewhere if your getting better results. Still confused about this

Is this 3rd party charger , charging the batteries at the same rate and temp as the genuine DJI charger ?
Fast charging at a higher temperature could reduce cell life

battery charging.JPG

fast charge.JPG

Last edited:
Is this 3rd party charger , charging the batteries at the same rate and temp as the genuine DJI charger ?
Fast charging at a higher temperature definitely impact cell life. It is unlikely to be an issue for Neon however. The charging circuitry is Pachaged with the so called “smart DJI battery”. You could attach a power supply capable of charging the pack at 100C but the battery cells will be charged no quicker.

View attachment 89276

View attachment 89277

Fast charging at a higher temperature definitely impact cell life. It is unlikely to be an issue for Neon however. The charging circuitry is Pachaged with the so called “smart DJI battery”. You could attach a power supply capable of charging the pack at 100C but the battery cells will still be charged at the same rate as with the standard power supply.

Fast charging at a higher temperature could reduce cell life

View attachment 89276

View attachment 89277
@lannes, The last part you highlighted in yellow doesn't applies to DJI batteries, only dumb batteries. The smarts in DJI batteries won't allow anything greater that a 1c charge rate, and charging slower than 1c is OK. DJI batteries always equalize with any charger that provides adequate voltage. That's part on the onboard smarts in each battery.

I think neons issue is from something else, like storing batteries in heat, like a hot car multiple times, or storing batteries at 15% for weeks, or maybe storing for months during winter in 20f temps with no cycling.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification , I was hoping for a different story with the P4P intelligent batteries when compared to P3 batteries. According to post 7 on this thread the P3 intelligent battery circuitry does not do a balancing charge across individual cells, glad to hear this has changed with the P4P battery

???Question About Phantom 3 LiPo Battery Balance Charging/Discharging???

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification , I was hoping for a different story with the P4P intelligent batteries when compared to P3 batteries. According to post 7 on this thread the P3 intelligent battery circuitry does not do a balancing charge across individual cells, glad to hear this has changed with the P4P battery

???Question About Phantom 3 LiPo Battery Balance Charging/Discharging???
You will find very little difference between the P3 and P4 battery (hardware and firmware), both work identically with respect to the charging routine and balancing, they simply switch in bleed resistors on the high cells.

Have you had a battery you have retired due to condition? How may charges had it had? You could complete the poll while your at it.

Usually the needing to be turned in to charge js because the lack is close to fiull.

Hopefully we can keep this thread on track- this is a great idea for a poll- haven’t see. One for a while.
Sorry to be a bit O T but I thought while discussing batteries it might be a good time to ask for some help.
BTW this one battery does it no matter what the remaining charge.
Poll filled out.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4