Battery popped out when crashed? Theory: It was never in place!

Ummm...I'll supply the camera if you supply the P3P ;) While there is some flexing of the housing my visual evaluation says there is not enough to release the two lock tabs. YMMV

You are arguing for a scenario in which you have obviously have zero experience. I have crashed and seen many more others crash. If you fly long enough it will happen despite the best skill and intentions. I have never, not once, seen a crash, even from only a few feet, and little lateral motion, not eject the battery. It is probably designed to do that. You wouldn't want a fully charged batt pumping juice through shorted motor wires. Lipo fires burn fast and incredibly hot

Reactions: Mako79
If you guys figure this out then we can apply the theory to why people lose their shoes when hit by a car. I'm pretty sure they though their shoes where tight! ... Bad reference but funny thou ...

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
If you guys figure this out then we can apply the theory to why people lose their shoes when hit by a car. I'm pretty sure they though their shoes where tight! ... Bad reference but funny thou ...
Not funny if you in them shoes ! :)

You want the battery to pop out. This dissipates energy.
You are arguing for a scenario in which you have obviously have zero experience. I have crashed and seen many more others crash. If you fly long enough it will happen despite the best skill and intentions. I have never, not once, seen a crash, even from only a few feet, and little lateral motion, not eject the battery. It is probably designed to do that. You wouldn't want a fully charged batt pumping juice through shorted motor wires. Lipo fires burn fast and incredibly hot

I recall nokia having the same theory. This is why phones eject their batteries when dropped. This is to dissipate the energy. And you want this to happen so there is less chance of a short and lipo fire.

You misunderstand. I AGREE batteries are popping out when crashed! What I'm wondering is whether they were LOOSE prior to the crash and is some significant number of cases were the CAUSE of the crash.

Yesterday when I got home I found that I had received a third battery, a genuine DJI product, which was a birthday gift. I charged it up and tried to insert it into my P3P. It wouldn't go the last 3mm (3/32")! No matter how hard I pushed it, it wouldn't snap into place. I did not have time to troubleshoot why not, there's something hanging up preventing the last bit of travel. Now I'm wondering if any battery like this has ever been supplied with a new bird and the owner didn't realize it wasn't seating all the way.

I'd like to ask everyone who reads this to check and see if their batteries are actually sitting flush tight against the housing when fully inserted. They should be.

As to your theory that DJI makes these batteries to intentionally pop out in a crash, that would greatly surprise me!

I always sorta slap mine in till I hear a click and if I don't I do it again. Have had things get in there to prevent them from seating properly
or stuck to the bottom or back which ever ya want to call it on the battery.

I have something else to check. I now have received two batteries with a top release button that is very difficult to press down far enough to remove from a P3. Both of these batteries had a top button that did not depress even with 3x the force needed to fully depress the bottom button (and both buttons on my good batteries). In the photos you see >20 lbs but still not fully down while the other only needs 7 lbs to fully go down.
thumb_IMG_0679_1024.jpg
button_bottom.png

I discovered the first battery defect when I had great difficulty removing it after a flight. I recalled that it was a challenge to push in. I noticed the second during a detailed inspection. At 20 lbs I stopped the test since I was beginning to put a permanent mark on the mini grips on the release button.

Thanks to HeliDirect and Sure RC for working with me on the returns.

Last edited:
Have I got an unusual battery pop-out..I just started getting use to my P3A (11 flights). And loving the upgrade from my P2V+. SO on my trip to Lake Mead, first time flying over water, I flew the P2V. First battery was great but nervous over water. Second battery I got way over confident and had my friend drive the boat as I piloted the P2. All was going great sweet video. Lost orientation as we went around a cliff on the way to the dam. Instead of the aircraft being piloted correctly, like the boat was, I flew it into a 50' cliff at approx. 20 mph. What a terrible sound, plastic smashing into a rock cliff! Turned the boat around just as she tumbled down the cliff and into the water! It was not over confidence, in reality just STUPID. As we pulled up to the spot it entered the water, (depth around 60' by the cliff and dropping to 175' as you come away from the cliff closer towards the Colorado River).
I had really enjoyed that P2, (111 flights never any problems always hand catch for landings). We were sure all was lost but as we pulled up to the cliff, there it was hanging on a ledge about 3' from going submarine mode to 175' or so. It looked like the ledge was a foot under water but it turned out to be about 8' down on that ledge. Dove down brought her up, put it on the bow and to my pleasant surprise, the battery was long gone. Never saw it so it's probably on the bottom of the lake. After 7 full days in rice-bag set-up, she lives!
Tomorrow looks like a good day to IMU calibrate and hopefully do more than 1 flight. When I took it apart I found the connector to the speed controller was almost separated. I plugged it back in and now all motors are working. Prior to that fix, only 3 spun.
Sorry to ramble on but it feels great to be on the verge of having 2 phantoms again.
So back to the comments on this thread, crash, battery blow-out, submarine mode, speed control fix and 7 days in the rice bag!
Hopefully flight # 112 and many more to come. Many thanks to you folks for having the most informative forum and all the help info provided here. Al T

Found this on YT. Check out at around 11.50 minutes on the basket ball court

Look carefully and you see the battery fly out!
No doubt about it. It flew out on hard impact.
I agree totally that that can happen, My point is only that some mysterious sudden crash into the ground situations are due to loss of battery contact. My new third battery must be pushed in with over 20 pounds of force to get it to go the last little bit so I hear the latches click into place. If I were not careful would that battery vibrate free in flight?

I always have tightly snapped in and secured my battery, including the time it popped out upon impact. You can see the force of impact has ripped the locking tabs. Gravity is a strong force and somethings gotta give on impact.

Reactions: Dunbeazy
No doubt about it. It flew out on hard impact.
I agree totally that that can happen, My point is only that some mysterious sudden crash into the ground situations are due to loss of battery contact. My new third battery must be pushed in with over 20 pounds of force to get it to go the last little bit so I hear the latches click into place. If I were not careful would that battery vibrate free in flight?

I see you are posting about this in other threads. I had just post this in another thread to you:

You posted here about the battery like there is a epidemic with batteries being separated. The phantom was designed to become dislodged and separated from the aircraft at the time of a crash. These batteries are like mini bombs. Also crashes are almost guaranteed dead shorts, and should a battery stay connected the aircraft will become a melted mound of plastic in no time. Should you crash your aircraft and find the battery not separated, you should be concerned.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20