Battery Life after 11 Months of No USE?

Reaction score
What would happen to my P4P batteries if they not in use for 11 months? I have plans to out of country for 11 months and will not be using my P4P. Will the battery life be compromised if left to idle 11 months?

Tkx
Ben

Send them to me....i will fly them and take good care of them and re charge to proper storage levels after flights and send them back to you when you get back ;)...fair deal eh (LOL).. :)Now all kidding aside...what Nick has advised you should work OK.....good luck on the trip and wondering why you cant take the drone with you to Fly.....maybe a deployment as military type !

I suggest fully charging the batteries and then let them auto-discharge, which will leave them at the best level for storage. Make sure not to store them in a freezing environment. Or you might sell your batteries and then buy new ones when you return.
What is your concern with a “freezing environment”? It is unfounded. LiION chemistry will deliver reduced discharge performance at low temps and might be permanently damaged if charged however once returned to room temperature there is no detrimental effect from storing at very low temperature. It will actually prolong life as the chemical reactions that contribute to cell aging are slowed.

Reactions: IgorD2
What is your concern with a “freezing environment”? It is unfounded. LiION chemistry will deliver reduced discharge performance at low temps and might be permanently damaged if charged however once returned to room temperature there is no detrimental effect from storing at very low temperature. It will actually prolong life as the chemical reactions that contribute to cell aging are slowed.

Looks like you are right about that. Cold temps are good for storage. Freezing point of the electrolyte in Li-ion batteries is about -40 C, which is colder than you'd find in a food freezer. So best course for BenMara might be to charge them to the 50-60% mark and them leave them in the freezer while he's gone.

Reactions: IgorD2
Looks like you are right about that. Cold temps are good for storage. Freezing point of the electrolyte in Li-ion batteries is about -40 C, which is colder than you'd find in a food freezer. So best course for BenMara might be to charge them to the 50-60% mark and them leave them in the freezer while he's gone.
Electrolyte freezes below -40. You can actually get some power out of them at that temp (at greatly reduced C rating, couldn’t fly). If you were contemplating putting in the freezer you would be well advised to put them in a sealed bag first, avoid condensation.

What would happen to my P4P batteries if they not in use for 11 months? I have plans to out of country for 11 months and will not be using my P4P. Will the battery life be compromised if left to idle 11 months?

Tkx
Ben
Ben
Your drone batteries can’t go in the cargo hold of an airliner. So take your drone as a carry on or personal item as Mr. T suggested. No extra cost for that. Take mine with me that way. No issue so far. I do have a carry case for the drone and accessories.
Happy travels.

I have more things to carry with me, will be out of country for 11 months. So drone not priority.

I take my P4P in a ThinkTank backpack everywhere I go by plane as carry-on in the overhead. 11mos is a long time for me to be without my drone, I'm not sure I could do that. The backpack also holds my laptop and iPad, so I have those on the airplane. I also carry a small leather case that fits under the seat. This holds other items I need (food, chargers, paperwork, sunglasses, toothbrush, etc) on the plane. Everything else I check as baggage. However, with an 11mo trip you may have too many other valuables you need to take as carry-on, prohibiting the drone backpack. I always follow the rule to "NEVER check something you can't afford to lose" (cameras, computers, medications, data, jewelry, personal irreplaceables, etc).

Reactions: BenMara
So an update. Working in Kuwait for 6 months now.
Talked to family back home, P4p was never used.
1 battery totally dead, 1 half charge, other 2 no change after 6 months after being fully charged.

Totally Odd...

What are yall thoughts???

1 battery totally dead,

Probably in Hibernation mode ... can be woken up later possibly.

1 half charge,

Can family charge up that battery to repeat self discharge ?

other 2 no change after 6 months after being fully charged.

Do you mean still full charged ? Strange - they should be at storage level.

It cannot harm to get family to charge up and then stand aside to auto discharge.

Finally got brother to charge the ones that needed it, but totally discharged one is maybe Dead...

Its unfortunate these batteries are not longer being sold. Guess ill have to look into other ways to power the P4p when i return state side

DJI batterys are designed to self hibernate if they discharge too low in storage.

Basically they auto discharge to storage level. Once they reach that - the discharge routine shuts off. BUT batterys have Self Discharge of their own which in terms of LiPo - is a very low rate. This very low rate will drop the battery down to near critical level of 3.0V per cell ... at which the control board totally shuts down in what is termed Hibernation Mode to try save the battery.

Technically - the battery can be revived but needs a sequence :

1. Try switch on battery - ignore lights ... DO NOT TOUCH buttons again
2. Leave battery to one side for at least 5 minutes
3. Using DJI charger - plug into battery - DO NOT TOUCH battery button at all.
4. Leave charging ... it may take an hour ... it may take most of the day before any life signs.

The important part of the above are 1 + 2 and not touching that battery button again.

Will it work ? Some yes - some no. But its worth repeating the above ... I have had messages to me advising they followed above repeatedly and battery came alive ... The repeat needed unplugging battery. Leave for 10 mins or so and then repeat steps 1 - 4 again.

Reactions: Nightwolf

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20