BATTERY ISSUES (Early Autoland)??? POST HERE

pgesler said:
Is anyone having "Early Autoland" issues even if the osd voltage doesn't drop?
Yes, I've been experiencing early Autoland when the battery still shows much more voltage than required to trigger the event. I have just received a warranty replacement battery from DJI Service for one that had puffed up. I will test fly that today and post my observations later.

Ok - I am new to the Phantom 2 - but not new to RC helis/quads. But this thread concerns me (as it does many of you :) )

Once you experience this - is there no recovery? For example can you put it in regular flight mode (no assist) and force it to fly back to you?

I have the iPad ground station and know I can pick up the regular controller and take over the flight if I need to - but I don't know if that would help in this case.

The reason I ask is - Being in Florida, it is pretty usual for you to fly over even small bodies of water (like retention ponds)... and if there is no warning that this could happen and there is no way to gain control of the quad I am afraid of it happening particularly over water.

Obviously, until we get to the bottom of this, purposely flying over a lake (like I did yesterday before I read this thread) - just seems stupid. But now I feel like I need to fly and set waypoints to avoid even retention ponds (which might be 18 only inches deep but still water :) ) in case it decides to fall out of the sky.

Thanks for any insight...

Buckaye said:
Ok - I am new to the Phantom 2 - but not new to RC helis/quads. But this thread concerns me (as it does many of you :) )

Once you experience this - is there no recovery? For example can you put it in regular flight mode (no assist) and force it to fly back to you?

I have the iPad ground station and know I can pick up the regular controller and take over the flight if I need to - but I don't know if that would help in this case.

The reason I ask is - Being in Florida, it is pretty usual for you to fly over even small bodies of water (like retention ponds)... and if there is no warning that this could happen and there is no way to gain control of the quad I am afraid of it happening particularly over water.

Obviously, until we get to the bottom of this, purposely flying over a lake (like I did yesterday before I read this thread) - just seems stupid. But now I feel like I need to fly and set waypoints to avoid even retention ponds (which might be 18 only inches deep but still water :) ) in case it decides to fall out of the sky.

I don't have the iPad GS, but I would assume that if you are using the latest firmware (3.06) you should see a similar indication to the one on the P2 Vision's smartphone interface. This calculates when RTH is initiated using a combination of battery voltage, altitude, and distance from the home point. The interface tells you when it is time to return home and you have the option to do so or not. If you choose not to and the battery voltage drops below a certain point, "Autoland" will be initiated and the Phantom will make a controlled descent wherever it happens to be at the time. I believe that you can assume manual control with your handheld transmitter at any time, but if the aircraft has gone into Autoland, you will have to give it UP stick and continue to fly home to avoid a descent into terrain. Again, I do not have an iPad GS, so if anyone else has better info, please chime in on this.

droneranger said:
Buckaye said:

I don't have the iPad GS, but I would assume that if you are using the latest firmware (3.06) you should see a similar indication to the one on the P2 Vision's smartphone interface. This calculates when RTH is initiated using a combination of battery voltage, altitude, and distance from the home point. The interface tells you when it is time to return home and you have the option to do so or not. If you choose not to and the battery voltage drops below a certain point, "Autoland" will be initiated and the Phantom will make a controlled descent wherever it happens to be at the time. I believe that you can assume manual control with your handheld transmitter at any time, but if the aircraft has gone into Autoland, you will have to give it UP stick and continue to fly home to avoid a descent into terrain. Again, I do not have an iPad GS, so if anyone else has better info, please chime in on this.

Thanks - good info. Yes I get a lot of that info on the GS - but I am specifically interested in your answer about "autoland" as that appears to be the sudden symptom folks are experiencing with this crazy battery issue. If I can pick up the controller and get into manual mode and manually fly it to a safe place to land, I'll feel a bit better (of course, I need to keep my wits and calmly pull that off... but that's something I can practice).

My main fear was that if it went into autoland mode, there was no way to take control and at least fly it to dry land. So that's the part I am seeking to verify.

Another question I have for those who have experience this issue... when it happens is the Phantom under load? In other words, are you increasing throttle dramatically? In a hover? does it matter? Partially I am just curious.... but anecdotally I know when I was flying heli's with telemetry - an increased load would make the voltage temporarily drop (or appear to). Though not my more than a volt or so... just wondering if it's possible the increased load might be dropping out the voltage in this firmware or something?

Buckaye said:
Another question I have for those who have experience this issue... when it happens is the Phantom under load? In other words, are you increasing throttle dramatically? In a hover? does it matter? Partially I am just curious.... but anecdotally I know when I was flying heli's with telemetry - an increased load would make the voltage temporarily drop (or appear to). Though not my more than a volt or so... just wondering if it's possible the increased load might be dropping out the voltage in this firmware or something?
It is certainly more pronounced under load. My quad is loaded out to near MTOW so when Autoland has happened to me, I have needed to apply near full-up stick. Gently increasing the throttle is not effective, you need to firewall the thing. Then it begins to climb, but maintaining a constant altitude is nearly impossible. Essentially, I have gotten the POGO effect if I want to thwart Autoland: STICK UP and I climb as I am returning home, but if I back off the stick even a bit, the bird starts to descend again, so it is STICK UP and climb again, repeatedly. So your altitude will oscillate until either you get back home and let Autoland finally take over or until the battery voltage drops below the minimum and the quad turns into the aerodynamic equivalent of a bowling ball. Essentially, below a certain voltage, it just shuts off all power to the motors and you're done for.

Can you take over with the RC once an autonomous flight path has been programmed into the GS and you are airborne? I certainly hope so; it would seem ludicrous not to be able to do that. But not owning a GS, I have no first-hand knowledge of what happens in that case.

droneranger said:
Can you take over with the RC once an autonomous flight path has been programmed into the GS and you are airborne? I certainly hope so; it would seem ludicrous not to be able to do that. But not owning a GS, I have no first-hand knowledge of what happens in that case.

Yeah you can take it over.. just grab controller and switch off GPS - takes a second or two but then you've got it.

I have the exact same problem. I am getting fobbed off from both my dealer - BUZZFLYER who refuse to replace clearly defective and DANGEROUS battery because they claim battery warranty expired (Phantom bought in March, developed the issue in July) and also from DJI who claim the issue is with the battery firmware and they ask me to contact the dealer to update it. Rediculous. I am supposed to pay for shipping to UK (I am located in Bulgaria) to update the firmware and then pay for return costs as well only to find their firmware did not help. This is so frustrating, having such expensive parts die out that quickly without any kind of support is just making me so angry.

Here is reply from DJI

Dear sir ,
Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.
Thanks for your images and it is very helpful.
The issue is that: battery firmware should the 2.0, the latest one. i suggest you contact dealer and ask them to help update it for you.
Thank you for choosing to fly with DJI.
Best Regards

Yavor D
Aug 27 02:35
Hi, to your questions here are my answers,
1,your location city & dealer: My location is Sofia, Bulgaria. Item is purchased from Buzzflyer UK (www.buzzflyer.co.uk)

2 what is your production: p2v

3, MC VERSION: 29.0.2.1 (see attached picture), firmare is 3.06 – tried with earlier versions and it’s the same

4,camera firmware version: 1.1.9

5,dji app firmware version: 1.0.52, tried earlier versions - same

6, issue description: p2v autolands at 70% battery. Dji App shows blinking red screen and battery indication is blank (still shows 70% though). Rear phantom lights blink red. See full description in my initial email

7,any video or picture about this issue: see attached pic
I have also included pictures from the info screen from the Assistant and battery information (when fully charged) from the Assistant.

Thank you
От: Zach Zhang (DJI)
Изпратено на: ‎вторник‎, ‎26‎ ‎август‎ ‎2014‎ г. ‎16‎:‎40
До: Yavor D
Attachment(s)
camera.jpg
information.jpg
battery screen.jpg

Zach Zhang (DJI)
Aug 26 21:40
Dear sir,
Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.
i got your email and in order to make it more clear, would you pls provide the below info:
1,your location city & dealer:
2,what is your production: p2v
3, MC VERSION:
4,camera firmware version:
5,dji app firmware version:
6, issue description:
7,any video or picture about this issue:
Thank you for choosing to fly with DJI.
Best Regardshello, sir,
thanks!

DJI Support (DJI)
Aug 26 04:10
Products: Phantom 2 Vision
Name: Yavor D
Email:
Dealers: Buzzflyer
Tel: 3
Subject: Faulty battery
Message: Hi, on 13.03 I made an order for a Phantom 2 Vision (I have proof of purchase which I can post if necessary). Unfortunately the battery appears to be faulty now. I was flying normally when suddenly arround 50% charge the dji vision app showed the battery to be empty (still showed about 50% charge but battery indicator and the whole screen was blinking red and also rear lights of the phantom itself flashed red) and the phantom began to autoland. I have tried to discharge it completely (below 8%) and then charge it again, but it does the same thing. Now every time an autoland is triggered at about 70% charge and again on the dji app it shows empty battery and flashing screen. The battery is only 24 cycles and is practically new. This is quite disappointing for such an expensive part. Can you please advise if and how I can send it for a replacement as I believe it still should be under warranty. P.S I am located in Bulgaria
Thank you
DJI Innovations

Re: 25%-40% Battery Warning and Auto Descend??

Hi, I´m adding to this group
Here's my input:

Firmware: 3.2
Weight: stock P2V
Warning levels: 20% / 15%
Battery life: 95% (charge cycle 21)
Flight condition: calm / steady hover
Flight time:9:30
Battery auto land: 70%

here is the story...recently happens when the battery falls below 80% of charge, the phantom´s leds blinking red rapidly and the message on the phone alerts that there is a low battery condition, but when you move down the throttle stick to the descend position just a little, the battery alert goes away and phantom´s led become green again. In this case, you are descending with no power enough to maintain altitude.
In order to know what was going on with my battery, I was checking the battery cells using the assistance software but the readings were very close from one to another, so my first conclusion was to perform a total battery discharge until it was reached between 6% or 8%, then start to charge up again in order to balance each battery cell. (accordingly with the assistance instructions)
After I did it, I was running a flight check under controlled situation (holding with my hand one of the phantom´s legs) in order to prevent an accident, but the condition still exist.
Bty, my battery is around 21 cycles of charge.

please watch the video showing the condition above mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPfpEFU ... pgwzmHL4PQ

Re: 25%-40% Battery Warning and Auto Descend??

DJIp2v said:
Hi, I´m adding to this group
Here's my input:

Firmware: 3.2
Weight: stock P2V
Warning levels: 20% / 15%
Battery life: 95% (charge cycle 21)
Flight condition: calm / steady hover
Flight time:9:30
Battery auto land: 70%

here is the story...recently happens when the battery falls below 80% of charge, the phantom´s leds blinking red rapidly and the message on the phone alerts that there is a low battery condition, but when you move down the throttle stick to the descend position just a little, the battery alert goes away and phantom´s led become green again. In this case, you are descending with no power enough to maintain altitude.
In order to know what was going on with my battery, I was checking the battery cells using the assistance software but the readings were very close from one to another, so my first conclusion was to perform a total battery discharge until it was reached between 6% or 8%, then start to charge up again in order to balance each battery cell. (accordingly with the assistance instructions)
After I did it, I was running a flight check under controlled situation (holding with my hand one of the phantom´s legs) in order to prevent an accident, but the condition still exist.
Bty, my battery is around 21 cycles of charge.

please watch the video showing the condition above mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPfpEFU ... pgwzmHL4PQ

When did you purchase the phantom?

The strange thing with most of these is how it suddenly starts happening after no previous slow decline.
The battery percentage when the alarm/descending starts seems quite variable.
You have to wonder if it is a problem with the sensor which monitors the battery condition, rather than a real problem with the cells.

This idea seems baked up when the assistant only shows trivial differences in the cells.

Sorry guys I have completely neglected this topic (fail on my part). Obviously this is a battery issue and i am sure DJI is well aware of it by now. The best thing you can do is contact your countries DJI office and explain the issue and hopefully they will give you an RMA for a replacement battery. Most of the time your dealer will not help you if you are outside their 30-90 day product guarantee window and they will tell you to go strait to DJI, but you may get dealer here and there that will help you out.

I was not even aware of a new firmware for the battery, so I will probably check this out on mine. I assume it would upgrade when you plug in your assistant, but who knows. Still i don't think a firmware will fix this issue if you already have it, but it could prevent it from happening if the firmware adjusts how it balance charges each of the cells. This issues is defiantly caused by a bad cell or cells within the batter so i guess you could consider it hardware and we all know when hardware is bad there is no fixing it most of the time without replacing.

My P2 is having this kind of issue too, did some tests with the gimbal off the P, and batteries (2, round pin, not puffed yet) behaved normally, just read the 21 posts pages and others are having trouble even without the gimbal.

One idea I have is that if a P is carrying a heavy load (1300 grs or near that), the motors and battery gets warmer/hotter in a faster way, and batteries have a temp sensor that triggers the autoland to prevent battery damage, but if others are having trouble at low weight, not sure if this idea will hover.

If the overload is the cause of battery fail, guess the 9450 props will help a lot preventing it.
Hope we get to the bottom of this issue and solution soon.

I called DJI last week because 4 of my 6 mos. old P2 batteries were puffing out on the sides. The guy told me the warranty was only good for 3 mos. i asked to speak with a supervisor. After waiting on hold for 5 minutes, he came back on the phone with an RMA number for met to send them in.

Xrover said:
I called DJI last week because 4 of my 6 mos. old P2 batteries were puffing out on the sides. The guy told me the warranty was only good for 3 mos. i asked to speak with a supervisor. After waiting on hold for 5 minutes, he came back on the phone with an RMA number for met to send them in.

Yeah I bet how they are playing it is if it is the battery you got with the craft, which has a 1 yr warranty, they will do a warranty swap, but if it is a battery bought separately it is only a 3 month warranty. So if you are only having an issue with one battery just tell them it is the battery that came with the P2 and that you don't have any other batteries. If it is more than one battery then I am sure if you escalate the call to a supervisor they will award the warranty. I am sure all the bad batteries they get back they return to their vendor and get some money back or their vendor just swaps out the packs to new ones, which probably cost about $10us, and then DJI turns around and resells it. :roll:

Haha, Their vendor is probably a Chinese company also so they are probably getting lousy support from them.
My Batteries just arrived at DJI yesterday. Wonder how long this process will take.

Side note. Since i had to send back 4 batteries, I only have 1 battery which came with my new replacement P2 Zen. That new battery charges faster and fly's perfectly in my new P2. I have video jobs this week so I had to go buy a few more batteries. They are all the newer type with the square contacts. They also fly great! I had a nice Venice Beach flight yesterday using all 3 batteries and the P2 flew great all the way till I brought it back at 30-40%

Some people are talking about a Firmware update on the P2 batteries? I have never seen any update for the batteries. Nothing shown in the P2 Assistant Software.

Xrover said:
Haha, Their vendor is probably a Chinese company also so they are probably getting lousy support from them.
My Batteries just arrived at DJI yesterday. Wonder how long this process will take.

Side note. Since i had to send back 4 batteries, I only have 1 battery which came with my new replacement P2 Zen. That new battery charges faster and fly's perfectly in my new P2. I have video jobs this week so I had to go buy a few more batteries. They are all the newer type with the square contacts. They also fly great! I had a nice Venice Beach flight yesterday using all 3 batteries and the P2 flew great all the way till I brought it back at 30-40%

Some people are talking about a Firmware update on the P2 batteries? I have never seen any update for the batteries. Nothing shown in the P2 Assistant Software.
Xrover,

You will probably get a new one within 2 to 3 weeks since you are in LA. I am in Orange County and it was about a 3 week turn around from sending to getting the replacement.

My 2nd battery, bought a month or so after i got my P2 at the end of Dec autolanded at 38% last night. Less than 30 discharges on it.

Felt puffed up on 1 side.

Wow, £109 down the drain.

Geert said:
bells0 said:
My 2nd battery, bought a month or so after i got my P2 at the end of Dec autolanded at 38% last night. Less than 30 discharges on it.

Felt puffed up on 1 side.

Wow, £109 down the drain.

Contact your dealer or DJI.
They will change the battery for you.

Geert./.

Or maybe not :cry:

Response from FPV UK, the dealer who sold me the battery in Jan:

"Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your battery! You are correct in that the batteries do only have a 3 month warranty period. We as a company have a 6 month warranty period. Your order was placed 8th January 2014 which is nearly 8 months ago now. As much as I appreciate your frustration, as you are outside of the warranty period, we are unable to offer a free replacement for your battery.

All the best."

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT