Battery is a little puffy.

Reaction score
I have a non DJI battery for a P3S. Noticed today that it is a little puffy. Air data says it's ok. No deviation. All looks fine. Should I keep using it?

I just through out a battery that was a little puffy. It still worked and fit in the drone.But why take the change of catching your drone fire,
Get rid of it.

Reactions: ishboo4343
I'd have to agree with @ianzone. Don't throw it out. Use it for checking settings, warming the IMU... I have 3 non Poem's for my P3S, and one is not necessarily puffy, but it's a snug fit. Has been since new. Haven't had any issues, but I keep close watch over it.
Brad

If you don’t mind me asking, what do you mean by “warming the IMU?” I’m interested in the benefits to this process.

You didn't finish the sentence, ish.
"...great excuse fir the wife ta kill ya in yer sleep!"
What mine keeps saying, anyway...

Brad
If you were to hold the presupposition many do that anything that involves spending money for your exclusive enjoyment might require consent from your partner you wouldn’t have missed this. To most that wouldn’t seems to be an incomplete sentence.

Reactions: Shoot4fun
I have a 'tight fit non original' battery and it flies fine.

When I feel its come to a level that is a risk - I shall only use for 'bench' instead of using a 'good' battery.

@itechnology "An inertial measurement unit (IMU) is an electronic device that measures and reports a body's specific force, angular rate, and sometimes the orientation of the body, using a combination of accelerometers, gyroscopes, and sometimes magnetometers...."

Making that thang ready

Brad

Gotcha. Thank you. However even though you may warm up the IMU with that battery, don’t you have to change it with another battery (since the other is bad) before flight which requires turning off then on the drone, which in return requires you to warm the IMU again?

Reactions: AndrewCCM
If you were to hold the presupposition many do that anything that involves spending money for your exclusive enjoyment might require consent from your partner you wouldn’t have missed this. To most that wouldn’t seems to be an incomplete sentence.
I was, however, assuming there were, potentially, those viewing said post with which this concept had not been fully implanted, be it by lack of marital maturity, or perhaps a stroke of pure luck. Therefore, I felt it necessary to finish said sentence so that I may help to prolong a fellow drone pilot's life until such time that said wife has reached the point of no return, and is forced to impale said drone pilot with a long, sharp instrument during his slumber... ? ?

Brad

@itechnology generally, I have no issues between battery changes, if they're done relatively quickly. Usually, say 5 minutes between battery changes, it doesn't seem to be a problem. Higher Outside temps will also speed up the process, so flying in winter, I've found it best to keep the drone in the truck, out if its case, and under heat before first flight. Winter IMU heating seems like it takes FOREVER! Probably not much longer than in warmer weather, but ya know what I mean.

Brad

Guess I should also state, for those who don't know, that IMU preheating is automatic. I haven't found an option to avoid it yet. My P3S will NOT launch until it is happy...

Brad

There is a simple way to reduce IMU heating time ...

I calibrated my IMU in winter ... outside in about about -5 .. -8C weather ...

I made sure AC was cold by leaving it our there ... then with battery from my pocket - so it would work immediately ... I powered up and into IMU as fast as I could ...

Why does this work ? It appears that IMU calibration uses the ambient temperature as its reference .. so the lower you can get it - the better.

It will speed up your cold weather starts and makes no problem in warmer weather.

There is a simple way to reduce IMU heating time ...

I calibrated my IMU in winter ... outside in about about -5 .. -8C weather ...

I made sure AC was cold by leaving it our there ... then with battery from my pocket - so it would work immediately ... I powered up and into IMU as fast as I could ...

Why does this work ? It appears that IMU calibration uses the ambient temperature as its reference .. so the lower you can get it - the better.

It will speed up your cold weather starts and makes no problem in warmer weather.
Ok. Guess my first question is, is this possible on P3S? Where do you look for that? Is it in A/C settings from setup screen? I'll throw mine in the freezer!
Brad

Ok. Guess my first question is, is this possible on P3S? Where do you look for that? Is it in A/C settings from setup screen? I'll throw mine in the freezer!
Brad
Under advanced settings,,,has compass and imu here,,,I put mine in fridge ,crazy but does work
Screenshot_20190722-090736.jpg
Screenshot_20190722-090752.jpg

Reactions: Shoot4fun
Thanks Ian and Shoot4fun! I appreciate the knowledge ?

I just through out a battery that was a little puffy. It still worked and fit in the drone.But why take the change of catching your drone fire,
Get rid of it.
Where would one "get rid of" a battery? Just in regular garbage?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31