Battery cool down, HUH?

Reaction score
I just read that the battery won't charge until its cooled down after a flight. That sucks major balls!
Lipos these days can charge at 5c or higher while maintaining a decent number of cycles... so not only are we charging these batts at close to 1c, and discharging only at around 4-5c, we have to wait 15 to 20 min before charging again? Insanity! I can usually fly my hobby rc stuff non stop on 2 batteries. With the delay, I would need 3 batts and 2 chargers, ugghhh

I just read that the battery won't charge until its cooled down after a flight. That sucks major balls!
Lipos these days can charge at 5c or higher while maintaining a decent number of cycles... so not only are we charging these batts at close to 1c, and discharging only at around 4-5c, we have to wait 15 to 20 min before charging again? Insanity! I can usually fly my hobby rc stuff non stop on 2 batteries. With the delay, I would need 3 batts and 2 chargers, ugghhh

or a fridge (kiddin)

Reactions: loganboyd
Thats why i have 3 batts ohh i have a garbage pv2+ as killercut put on last post

Hib bbfpv how thing are going on your woods

I always plugged my batteries for the p2v straight into the car charger after flight and they always seemed to charge, would I have done long term damage to them?

I gave the above post a 'Like'...

...now I give it a +1!

Reactions: -terry
This would not be proper care for any lipo, charging while still warm/hot. I run everything from 150mah to 22k mah packs, I would never charge one when warm.

This would not be proper care for any lipo, charging while still warm/hot. I run everything from 150mah to 22k mah packs, I would never charge one when warm.

And DJI's are not the only LIPO batteries that will not allow charging at high temps. There are many.

It looks like DJI have used a lower "c" rated Lipo on the phantom 3. Mine runs much hotter than my "garbage" p2 Lipo. I guess to fit a 4s into the same case the 3s Lipo they had to use a lower capacity lower c-rated lipo. Oh well! I love my p3p and it's streets ahead of the p2v+.

Reactions: bbfpv
That wait time for it to cool down is not a set time thing and its more just a thing were it can take 15-20 minutes for it to cool down enough for the charge to start. So i would think if some ones battery is not to hot to begin with or if its a colder spot it would be cool faster then if you are really flying aggressively or if its real hot out it could take even longer for it to cool down enough for the charger to start charging it.

Since it's summer and the air conditioning is usually on now, I just set the battery on a vent and it's ready to charge in about 5 minutes.

I definitely can't wait for the extra batteries to hit the market though.

Here's the way I look at it. If I run my battery out and remove it and the outside temperature is 40-50 degrees f, it would cool quicker because of ambient temperature. So...I've been putting mine in the refrigerator after I take it out and it cools very quickly. Just enough to get the temp down for charging. I plan on timing this to see when it takes a charge right away, so I know minimally, how long to keep it there. If in the field and I pack a cooler for drinks, I'll throw in a baggies and double bag it and throw in the cooler above the ice. I plan on getting a couple of more batteries and I've purchased an inverter to charge in the field. Getting a battery cooler quicker, allows me to charger quicker.

My wife runs a day care and there is less crying, whining and bitching there than in these forums.
lol lol lol funny coming from some one that most every post you have made on this forum is to cry and whine and ***** and accuse others of crying or bitching about something and you have not contributed any thing useful Other then your worthless two cents and pretentious attitude and criticize others posts. If you dont like a forum were people discus things pertaining to phantoms. Maybe try another forum.

lol lol lol funny coming from some one that most every post you have made on this forum is to cry and whine and ***** and accuse others of crying or bitching about something and you have not contributed any thing useful Other then your worthless two cents and pretentious attitude and criticize others posts. If you dont like a forum were people discus things pertaining to phantoms. Maybe try another forum.

I guess I struck a nerve there, little boy? What was that you were saying a few days ago about DJI's quads being made and soldered by 6 year olds? Nearly every post you make has some snarky, childish remark about DJI and their products. Makes the average reader wonder why you would claim to fly, and purchase products from a company you clearly think makes inferior products and claim hires 6 years olds to assemble their products. Your incessant whining, bitching and crying is EXACTLY what my post is talking about. If you don't like being called out for acting like an entitled child, go fly Walkera and ***** at their forums, you will have LOTS of company and feel right at home. I'll stay right here with the people who are truly interested in the hobby.

You guys seem a little worked up. I suggest you both relax and remember this is just the internet there are no rewards for winning.

If the world hadn't gotten to the point it's at with all the PC bs I would have posted the arguing on the Internet is like winning a race in the special Olympics picture (for those that are curious use google).

Amazes me how many things people are capable of bitching about.
Agreed. They seem to hate DJI so much they should just give their money to Yuneec or something.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.