Reaction score
Hello,
I would like to charge my DJI phantom 3 batteries on the go and I had an idea on how to do it...
my plan is to attach the battery (charger) to a portable power bank (see Anker PowerCore 20100 - Ultra High Capacity Power Bank: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics) however, the main problem is the charger is connected using a standard wall socket. So I need to convert it to a USB interface? Here's what I came up with, I will connect an official DJI 2 Pin to DC power cable (Buy DJI Battery (2 PIN) to DC Power Cable | DJI Store) to the battery then connect the DC power cable to this USB male to female DC adapter (USB Male to 3.5mm DC Female Cable + Mini USB to DC Plug Adapter 2 Pcs: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories) Then into the portable power bank. Will this work? If not any idea how I could get this to work? Any information/help will be appreciated. Note* I don't know if this is relevant as I think the batteries are the same but I use the P3S Aircraft.

Thanks in advance,
Lewis W

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm planning on using a power inverter from my car battery, that way can charge Dji batteries and use laptop on the go or on location shooting.

That hurt my head. That battery pack won't be enough. They do sell larger portable power with AC outlets. You could use one of those... but they are larger and heavier.

Based on some quick math, here is what i got:
In short, what you have there is not going to work since USB voltage is only 5v and the rated voltage for DJI chargers is 17.4v
If you do want to make it work, you will need to step up the voltage from 5v to 17.4v, which is 3.48 times more voltage.
The capacity of that power bank is 20000 mah or 20 amps. If voltage is going to be stepped up to 3.48 times, the amperage must also be lowered 3.48 times per the equation (volts x amps = watts.)
After the conversion, you are left with about 5.75 amps to work with.
Phantom 3 batteries have a capacity of 4480 mah or 4.48 amps, which is just over 1 amp less than the output that you will be getting after the voltage step up.
If you are able to successfully step up the voltage, you might be able to get one full charge on the Phantom 3 battery from the power bank. The reason I say might is that i can not account for the energy lost from the voltage converter.

Also going to add if you attempt this, I wouldn't recommend using all the different conversions you listed, just splice a usb cable from the power bank onto the converter and from the converter onto a charger header for the DJI battery, the whole process would be much simpler.

Based on some quick math, here is what i got:
In short, what you have there is not going to work since USB voltage is only 5v and the rated voltage for DJI chargers is 17.4v
If you do want to make it work, you will need to step up the voltage from 5v to 17.4v, which is 3.48 times more voltage.
The capacity of that power bank is 20000 mah or 20 amps. If voltage is going to be stepped up to 3.48 times, the amperage must also be lowered 3.48 times per the equation (volts x amps = watts.)
After the conversion, you are left with about 5.75 amps to work with.
Phantom 3 batteries have a capacity of 4480 mah or 4.48 amps, which is just over 1 amp less than the output that you will be getting after the voltage step up.
If you are able to successfully step up the voltage, you might be able to get one full charge on the Phantom 3 battery from the power bank. The reason I say might is that i can not account for the energy lost from the voltage converter.
Also going to add if you attempt this, I wouldn't recommend using all the different conversions you listed, just splice a usb cable from the power bank onto the converter and from the converter onto a charger header for the DJI battery, the whole process would be much simpler.
Thanks, I may try this but I am beginning to think it will be both safer and easier if I just buy another (Official) Battery. Thanks for the help and if I do try this I will keep this thread updated and informed.

picked up this power inverter from amazon for like $25 & i always keep it with me now. It comes with a cigarette lighter adapter & battery clamps so you have both options. throw it on your car battery while out in the field or plug into your car power outlet while traveling to the next spot. worth every penny & no mods or messing around with power banks or cutting soldering wires. simple solution & 2 day delivery with prime membership.
my recommendation 100%. i've seen other inverters for over $80 so this is a great compact size, 2 power plugs & 2 usb outputs. never leave without it.

AUKEY 300W Power Inverter with Dual Outlets & Dual 2.4A USB Ports for Laptop, Tablet, Smartphone and more

712lk9iwVBL._SX425_.jpg

Have one to sell?Sell on Amazon

Ad feedback

• 51f7cYtmJUL._SS40_.jpg
  • 511ifq84BAL._SS40_.jpg
  • 51A1BSePXaL._SS40_.jpg
  • 519QA4dAaDL._SS40_.jpg
  • 51XnVMnlWDL._SS40_.jpg
  • 51fGk656uVL._SS40_.jpg
  • 51wch8nCSUL._SS40_.jpg

I just started to use a power inverter for the car cost me £23 from eurocarparts here in the uk, direct connection to the battery and it has a plug socket in it. Then i decided rather than use the actual battery in my car, i fitted a separate 075 battery in the back of my car (£34). I just then take it out to charge it when needed. Works a treat for me!!

I just started to use a power inverter for the car cost me £23 from eurocarparts here in the uk, direct connection to the battery and it has a plug socket in it. Then i decided rather than use the actual battery in my car, i fitted a separate 075 battery in the back of my car (£34). I just then take it out to charge it when needed. Works a treat for me!!

You could charge the second battery with a split charge relay, so your alternator charges both when the car it on, but its isolated when the car is off. Its what ive done.:D

You could charge the second battery with a split charge relay, so your alternator charges both when the car it on, but its isolated when the car is off. Its what ive done.:D
Yeah i did think of that, but just not got round to it!

I use my wife's battery jumper box. It has an inverter on the back and if the internal battery gets low I put the battery clips on the car batt to boost it(using a car battery to boost a low jump pack lol)

Sent from my phone by pushing buttons with my fingers

Update : so this does not work unfortunately, it looks like it wants to with the power button switching on, the green charging lights then going through the battery but the the red power light turns off and the whole process starts again.

So close yet so far ..

My next idea is to get one of these: Goal Zero Yeti 150 Universal Power Pack, 230 V - Silver/Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EVV24LM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_k9kVxbGNVTJB2

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT