Battery cells in Yellow at 50% battery

Reaction score
I am getting yellow battery cells at 50% battery when flying slow.
By 43% all cells are yellow when just hovering. Little or no wind.
The cells are balanced. The battery is 25c to 35c (have had 3 flights like this)
The battery shows 12 charges.

I've had 14 flights but don't remember seeing this before.
Healthy drones shows nothing abnormal.

Is this normal?

I'm not sure what the colors are depicting. However, I think it's best to watch the battery voltage. Colors, percentages, and the like can be ignored.

It might help to create a Healthy Drones account and download a couple of flights.

I have been watching healthy drones for a few months. When I look at my file there is nothing wrong with battery cell deviation.
It does show the battery is a 4517 mah
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

I change the setting to show cell voltage on the main screen. As soon as I go below 50% the cell voltage turns from green to yellow.
When I bring up the battery screen. 1 or 2 cells are yellow. By time I hit 47% battery, all cells are yellow.

This time I checked when in a hover 5ft up. Battery at 30% cells at 3.6.volts. When I landed the cells went to 3.7 and turned green.
I only have one battery so far as the weather is restricting me to back yard flying.

Other wise I would put in another battery to compare.

I have nothing to compare with other than you guys.

Thanks to those that responded.

If it helps, I normally never see yellow until I am in the low thirties (30's). I would definitely not push the quad hard when you see yellow, next stop being red. Some may suggest that you deep cycle the battery to 8%. You can search the forum for many conversations on the subject of deep cycle. You will find both pro and con statements in regard, but deep cycle does follow the DJI recommendations.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes Skyone that helps. Thanks.
I don't think mine showed yellow before. But I am not positive.
I did the deep cycle yesterday. But it made no difference.
The only thing that happened during the week I did not use it was the go app updated to ver 2.61.

I had a similar situation the other day, cell one dropped into yellow, and then cell 4 did the same. I was around 50% battery. Healthy drones showed everything was good ??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters"

I had 2 cells drop way out of balance during flight , brought it home immediately and landed it. Cell 1 was the main culprit and cell 4 also had deviations.

Approx 00:03:50 - 00:03:56 I had major deviations of 0.07 - 0.106

Cell one went yellow during that entire time cell 2 and 3 were green and cell 4 went yellow intermittently.

I plugged into my computer and uploaded straight to Healthy Drones expecting to see major deviations but it said all was good?
I must be missing something,

Phantom 3 Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Approx 00:03:50 - 00:03:56 I had major deviations of 0.07 - 0.106
I don't think anything under 0.1 is something to worry about. And, if 0.1 or higher for a very short period of time, I wouldn't worry about that either.

I don't think anything under 0.1 is something to worry about. And, if 0.1 or higher for a very short period of time, I wouldn't worry about that either.

Ah ok, the thing that really confused me was that healthy drones said everything was good ??

Thanks as always for helping out msinger !

Yep. It looks good to me too.

I guess this is pretty normal on occasion ??
And what is causing the voltage to go yellow at 50% battery (even red sometimes) ? Is that normal too, I guess with all the talk of batteries shutting down mid air I'm over thinking it maybe ?
37fc0e9fb9e7d9bdce330c223f5039be.jpg

I guess this is pretty normal on occasion ?
The battery cells are rarely even at any point during flight. Are you seeing lengthy spans of large deviation during the same flight? If not, you're good to go.

And what is causing the voltage to go yellow at 50% battery (even red sometimes) ?
Like I said above, the colors are really of no use. Nor is the percentage of battery remaining. You should be focusing on the battery voltage. That's all that matters.

The battery cells are rarely even at any point during flight. Are you seeing lengthy spans of large deviation during the same flight? If not, you're good to go.

Like I said above, the colors are really of no use. Nor is the percentage of battery remaining. You should be focusing on the battery voltage. That's all that matters.

Ok perfect !! No I don't usually see large deviations, but I will monitor this battery closely. And I had a read through the info you sent regarding voltage !! Very helpful. Thanks man !!

My battery cells are all yellow by 47% when in a hover. Today I landed at 30% all cells yellow.
A soon as I landed all cells turned green.

At 30% before landing. (in hover)
18th flight Battery info at landing.mp4_000009519.jpg

18th flight Battery info at landing.mp4_000010687.jpg

Landed
18th flight Battery info at landing.mp4_000065085.jpg

Motors off. BAck in green.
18th flight Battery info at landing.mp4_000067240.jpg

P3P Canada. You posted about the same thing as I get.
Are you getting the same results on all your battery's? I only have one battery right now. So I have nothing to compare with.

I am paying more attention to voltages now as Msinger says.
But the yellow still spooks me. It seems like the yellow more to do with current draw on the battery at a given voltage.

In my 3rd picture at 27& battery I have yellow 3.57 V. Then I turn motors off. Still at 27% and voltage pops up to Green 3.67 V.
Yet when I was flying I got the yellow and the voltage was higher than 3.67 v.

Yesterday was windy. Coming back I was against it and got yellow at 67%. Don't remember the voltage.

I emailed DJI on Friday. No reply yet. I am going to order another battery soon.

Last edited:
P3P Canada. You posted about the same thing as I get.
Are you getting the same results on all your battery's? I only have one battery right now. So I have nothing to compare with.

I am paying more attention to voltages now as Msinger says.
But the yellow still spooks me. It seems like the yellow more to do with current draw on the battery at a given voltage.

In my 3rd picture at 27& battery I have yellow 3.57 V. Then I turn motors off. Still at 27% and voltage pops up to Green 3.67 V.
Yet when I was flying I got the yellow and the voltage was higher than 3.67 v.

Yesterday was windy. Coming back I was against it and got yellow at 67%. Don't remember the voltage.

I emailed DJI on Friday. No reply yet. I am going to order another battery soon.

It seems to be one of my batteries acting up more than the others, but in fairness I hadn't been paying much attention. So before I make an issue out of this I am going to charge up a few of my batteries and see how they act. I'll let you know.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl