Battery Care

Reaction score
Hi.I was told always keep your batteries at 60% in storage.How long can you keep the 100% batteries charged before having to bring them down to 60% for storage?

How long can you keep the 100% batteries charged before having to bring them down to 60% for storage?
Technically? Forever. You just need to keep pressing the battery button and/or charge them.

When you're not using batteries, it's best to keep them at the storage level. They will last longer that way.

Reactions: rfaaj and gagetman
Technically? Forever. You just need to keep pressing the battery button and/or charge them.

When you're not using batteries, it's best to keep them at the storage level. They will last longer that way.
Thanks.So you can switch the batteries on and discharge them down to the 60% storage or use the drone to to do it?But when is it considered time to put them in storage?In other words when is it considered time to store them?How many days can they stay at 100%?

So you can switch the batteries on and discharge them down to the 60% storage or use the drone to to do it?
No need to do this. The batteries will discharge on their own as long as you don't press the battery button.

when is it considered time to put them in storage?
You should let them auto discharge down to the storage level when you're not using them.

How many days can they stay at 100%?
They will stay at 100% for the number of days you have selected in the setting below. That setting must be set for each battery (while it's installed in your Phantom and your Phantom is connected to DJI GO).

DJI-GO-Battery-Time-To-Discharge.jpg

Reactions: gagetman
No need to do this. The batteries will discharge on their own as long as you don't press the battery button.

You should let them auto discharge down to the storage level when you're not using them.

They will stay at 100% for the number of days you have selected in the setting below. That setting must be set for each battery (while it's installed in your Phantom and your Phantom is connected to DJI GO).

View attachment 105519
So if you touch the button then you'll have to put the batt.back in the drone with the App.on to re-set the battery's discharge time that appears in the App?What is the best amount of days to to set for the discharge to begin?? So each time I put a battery in the drone it will automatically be set at the same discharge of days as the one before it?So what is the ideal storage %?

So if you touch the button then you'll have to put the batt.back in the drone with the App.on to re-set the battery's discharge time that appears in the App?
No. If that setting it set to 10 days (for example) and you touch the button, the battery will wait 10 days from the day you touched the button to begin discharging down to the storage level.

What is the best amount of days to to set for the discharge to begin?
How often do you fly?

So each time I put a battery in the drone it will automatically be set at the same discharge of days as the one before it?
No. Putting a battery in the drone allows you to access the above setting in DJI GO. That setting is saved on the battery itself.

So what is the ideal storage %?
The range in this red box:

64475b96525f9d8739fa5f05d3920b25ccb60624.png

No. If that setting it set to 10 days (for example) and you touch the button, the battery will wait 10 days from the day you touched the button to begin discharging down to the storage level.

How often do you fly?

No. Putting a battery in the drone allows you to access the above setting in DJI GO. That setting is saved on the battery itself.

The range in this red box:

View attachment 105523
Hi Mike.Forgot to tell you it's your worst nightmare here again .Why I'm so confused and in need proffessional help is thanks to droneworld's technician here in South Africa who told me I must always use the drone to run the batteries down to 60%.!!! So you know see how simple in the head he was! So when I put all my batteries into the drone one by one and if in the App.it's set for 3 days each one of those batteries will only start discharging after the 3 days are up?So I don't need to change that 3 day setting unless I want them all emptied for longer or shorter times? Well as yet I still have to fly as this company droneworld has been giving me the run around since July when I bought this bird from them.It had to go back and forwards for no reason at all really and the mini iPad was a wreck which I've been fighting with them about from day one.Finally I got a new one out of them.But only 1st. Generation.Will that be a problem?Where do you look for that diag.you showed me of the battery storage levels?Sorry I see the correct levels in that box in the diag. but the led's got me stumped.

Forgot to tell you it's your worst nightmare here again
It's no trouble at all. I'm always happy to help :)

So when I put all my batteries into the drone one by one and if in the App.it's for 3 days each one of those batteries will only start discharging after the 3 days are up?
That means the batteries will start to auto discharge after 3 days (as long as you don't charge them or press the battery button). Depending on the current charge level, it could take 2 to 3 additional days to discharge the battery down to the storage level.

So I don't need to change that 3 day setting unless I want them all emptied for longer or shorter times?
Ideally, you shouldn't be charging your batteries unless you're going to fly today (or tomorrow) or if your batteries drop below the charge level in the red box above. If you're charging the batteries no more than 1-2 days in advance of the next flight, then 3 days (or 2 days) would be an okay setting to use.

the mini iPad was a wreck which I've been fighting with them about from day one.Finally I got a new one out of them.But only 1st. Generation.Will that be a problem?
If using an iPad Mini, you'll need either an iPad Mini 2, 3, or 4. I sometimes see people say they are using an iPad Mini 1. However, I don't know that DJI GO can still be installed on them and I doubt the performance is good.

Where do you look for that diag.you showed me of the battery storage levels?Sorry I see the correct levels in that box in the diag. but the led's got me stumped.
If you press the battery button and only one light is solid or blinking, you should charge the battery until the 3rd light starts blinking. If you press the battery button and more than one light illuminates, then you don't need to do anything. And you of course should fully charge the batteries before flying.

Last edited:
It's no trouble at all. I'm always happy to help :)

That means the batteries will start to auto discharge after 3 days (as long as you don't charge them or press the battery button). Depending on the current charge level, it could take 2 to 3 additional days to discharge the battery down to the storage level.

Ideally, you shouldn't be charging your batteries unless you're going to fly today (or tomorrow) or if your batteries drop below the charge level in the red box above. If you're charging the batteries no more than 1-2 days in advance of the next flight, then 3 days (or 2 days) would be an okay setting to use.

If using an iPad Mini, you'll need either an iPad Mini 2 or iPad Mini 3. I sometimes see people say they are using an iPad Mini 1. However, I don't know that DJI GO can still be installed on them and I doubt the performance is good.

If you press the battery button and only one light is solid or blinking, you should charge the battery until the 3rd light starts blinking. If you press the battery button and more than one light illuminates, then you don't need to do anything. And you of course should fully charge the batteries before flying.

So if I had to charge all the batteries that weren't charged to their storage levels I'd the have to put them all back in the drone to remind them that in 3 days the can start discharging?Why would you want to keep the batteries fully charged for say 10 days?Isn't that bad for the batteries?Well touch wood the App. loaded fine.Simulator works.Updates to iPad and no fly zones took place O.K.The old iPad I sent back to them was the one I updated the bird's and controllers firmware.I won't have to do it again will I? How will I know if the iPad mini is performing as well as a 2 or 3? Now for the lowest charge to be left in a battery.This other guy that repairs drones said to me when you've finished flying bring the drone to you,let it hover till about 4% and then land.He says you get more amp hours out of your batteries?So now in my case that I'm not flying you say if all 3 lights aren't all shining then I must charge them till they do and then go and put them back into the drone 1 by 1 until all of them have had their memories updated?

So if I had to charge all the batteries that weren't charged to their storage levels I'd the have to put them all back in the drone to remind them that in 3 days the can start discharging?
No. You'd only have to put those batteries back into the drone in order to view that setting or change it. The setting will remain in place until new firmware is installed on the battery. Installing new firmware on the battery will reset the setting to its default.

Why would you want to keep the batteries fully charged for say 10 days?
That setting is not ideal for most people. If you were going on vacation and wouldn't have access to a charger (for example), then 10 days could be the best setting.

Isn't that bad for the batteries?
If you're always using the batteries after charging them, then that setting wouldn't hurt or harm them even if it was set to 10 days. If you continuously fully charge the batteries and then let them sit for 10 days, that would most likely decrease the lifespan of the batteries.

The old iPad I sent back to them was the one I updated the bird's and controllers firmware.I won't have to do it again will I?
The firmware is installed on the bird, remote controller, and batteries. Changing mobile devices will not reset the firmware and/or create a situation where the firmware needs to be installed again.

How will I know if the iPad mini is performing as well as a 2 or 3?
You won't if you don't have an iPad Mini 2 or 3 to compare.

This other guy that repairs drones said to me when you've finished flying bring the drone to you,let it hover till about 4% and then land
That sounds like a lot of work. You'll then need to charge all of your batteries up to the storage level since they'll be below that level after trying to run them down to 4%.

So now in my case that I'm not flying you say if all 3 lights aren't all shining then I must charge them till they do and then go and put them back into the drone 1 by 1 until all of them have had their memories updated?
If your batteries are currently only showing one light when the battery button is pressed, you should charge them until the 3rd battery light starts blinking. You don't need to put them back in the drone to charge them. And there is no memory to update.

Keep in mind each battery remembers it's own "days to auto discharge" changing the first battery to 3 days (or whatever number you decide on" will only change that particular battery. Inserting another battery will change the setting in the app to it's own setting, meaning, you will have to reselect the number of days in the app for each battery. Also, i would never recommend flying or even hovering with a battery at less than 10%, if one of cells drops below critical voltage, the battery will shut off and the AC will fall to the ground. Only once have I landed with a battery at less than 30% and that was only to verify the low battery warning worked. If my battery is between 45 and 65% when i land i leave it alone until time to fully charge for a flight, if its lower, as been said above, i charge till the 3rd battery light starts to blink and then disconnect and store it.

No. You'd only have to put those batteries back into the drone in order to view that setting or change it. The setting will remain in place until new firmware is installed on the battery. Installing new firmware on the battery will reset the setting to its default.

That setting is not ideal for most people. If you were going on vacation and wouldn't have access to a charger (for example), then 10 days could be the best setting.

If you're always using the batteries after charging them, then that setting wouldn't hurt or harm them even if it was set to 10 days. If you continuously fully charge the batteries and then let them sit for 10 days, that would most likely decrease the lifespan of the batteries.

The firmware is installed on the bird, remote controller, and batteries. Changing mobile devices will not reset the firmware and/or create a situation where the firmware needs to be installed again.

You won't if you don't have an iPad Mini 2 or 3 to compare.

That sounds like a lot of work. You'll then need to charge all of your batteries up to the storage level since they'll be below that level after trying to run them down to 4%.

If your batteries are currently only showing one light when the battery button is pressed, you should charge them until the 3rd battery light starts blinking. You don't need to put them back in the drone to charge them. And there is no memory to update.
So now as far as this setting in the App. Is concerned for maintaining the batteries at the amount of days you select does keep each battery you put in for 3 days till it discharge?Is that why they call it a "smart battery" or is it the intelligence of the battery to know that after having been put in the drone that it has been set to discharge after the three days?So what should the minimum charge be in a battery be?How do people go on holiday by air with their drones? People say you must fully discharge your batteries when you do?But you can't even buy batteries from Amazon due to airline restrictions?
Keep in mind each battery remembers it's own "days to auto discharge" changing the first battery to 3 days (or whatever number you decide on" will only change that particular battery. Inserting another battery will change the setting in the app to it's own setting, meaning, you will have to reselect the number of days in the app for each battery. Also, i would never recommend flying or even hovering with a battery at less than 10%, if one of cells drops below critical voltage, the battery will shut off and the AC will fall to the ground. Only once have I landed with a battery at less than 30% and that was only to verify the low battery warning worked. If my battery is between 45 and 65% when i land i leave it alone until time to fully charge for a flight, if its lower, as been said above, i charge till the 3rd battery light starts to blink and then disconnect and store it.

So now as far as this setting in the App. Is concerned for maintaining the batteries at the amount of days you select does keep each battery you put in for 3 days till it discharge?Is that why they call it a "smart battery" or is it the intelligence of the battery to know that after having been put in the drone that it has been set to discharge after the three days?So what should the minimum charge be in a battery be?How do people go on holiday by air with their drones? People say you must fully discharge your batteries when you do?But you can't even buy batteries from Amazon due to airline restrictions?
Thanks for helping me out too 3rdof5.Ole Mike done a duck?So the secret that has been kept from us is the part you nicely mentioned about having to reset each battery to let's say 3 in the App. everytime you recharge or push the battery button.

Is that why they call it a "smart battery" or is it the intelligence of the battery to know that after having been put in the drone that it has been set to discharge after the three days?
I guess they call it smart since they built this extra intelligence into their batteries. Or maybe it's just fancy marketing?

How do people go on holiday by air with their drones? People say you must fully discharge your batteries when you do?
Some people say it, but I don't think any airlines require it.

How many people do you know that drain their mobile phone and/or laptop batteries before getting onto a plane? Most people I know won't step foot on a plane with a mobile phone and/or laptop battery that is anything but fully charged.

But you can't even buy batteries from Amazon due to airline restrictions?
Amazon sells lots of batteries.

Thanks for helping me out too 3rdof5.Ole Mike done a duck?So the secret that has been kept from us is the part you nicely mentioned about having to reset each battery to let's say 3 in the App. everytime you recharge or push the battery button.
Well, once the battery's days to discharge has been set in the app (and the AC is powered off) that setting is written to the board in the battery and remains that way until changed in the app again. Pressing the power button on the battery simply resets the timer for that battery. So for example, you have a fully charged battery set to auto discharge in 3 days, and on day 2 you press the power button to check the charge level, the timer resets back to 3 days from that point.

So. I was told today not to deep discharge my batteries every w0 or so flights due to failure possibilities while flying. With this thread in mind was he right?

So. I was told today not to deep discharge my batteries every w0 or so flights due to failure possibilities while flying. With this thread in mind was he right?
Yes he's right. There's no need to deep discharge LiPo batteries, they don't have the "memory" issue that the old NiCd batteries did. Too low of a charge is not good for them nor is leaving them fully charged. Maintain them exactly as described in this thread and they will function best and last the longest.

Reactions: JazzAir
Well, once the battery's days to discharge has been set in the app (and the AC is powered off) that setting is written to the board in the battery and remains that way until changed in the app again. Pressing the power button on the battery simply resets the timer for that battery. So for example, you have a fully charged battery set to auto discharge in 3 days, and on day 2 you press the power button to check the charge level, the timer resets back to 3 days from that point.
Hi Mike and 3rdof5.Yes Amazon sells batteries but they won't ship to deepest,darkest war- torn Africa -Durban - South Africa. Only can get from local DJI suppliers at a rip-off price of ZAR3,500 which In dollars$ might sound cheap but with our devalued ZAR caused by our communist regime govt.it works out too be a helluva lot for just ONE battery! Now I'm a bit confused again over this "smart battery" and it's discharging cycle.I was led to believe the settings in the battery returned to the default.Then you have to put that /those batteries back into the drone for them all to register the 3 days discharge to storage level again?Obviously when you do this the drone must be on and the controller? OR must the drone be off and only the App. on?

Hi Mike and 3rdof5.Yes Amazon sells batteries but they won't ship to deepest,darkest war- torn Africa -Durban - South Africa. Only can get from local DJI suppliers at a rip-off price of ZAR3,500 which In dollars$ might sound cheap but with our devalued ZAR caused by our communist regime govt.it works out too be a helluva lot for just ONE battery! Now I'm a bit confused again over this "smart battery" and it's discharging cycle.I was led to believe the settings in the battery returned to the default.Then you have to put that /those batteries back into the drone for them all to register the 3 days discharge to storage level again?Obviously when you do this the drone must be on and the controller? OR must the drone be off and only the App. on?
So these batteries that have all been set for say 3 days will always remember this not matter how many times you charge them or press their buttons?Then only when you change the amount of days in the App. do their memories change to the new number of days?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.