Battery Care

With drone connected to controller and GO app running whatever the days to discharge depicted in the appis will remain until you set a different value. It is that simple.

Reactions: gagetman
So these batteries that have all been set for say 3 days will always remember this not matter how many times you charge them or press their buttons?
They will remember that setting until you install new firmware on the batteries.

So these batteries that have all been set for say 3 days will always remember this not matter how many times you charge them or press their buttons?Then only when you change the amount of days in the App. do their memories change to the new number of days?
Correct. They remember the setting you select in the app.

Well thank you "With The Birds" Mike and "3rdof5" for educating me so thoroughly on battery care and maintenance.It's all been invaluable info.that I now can pass down to my African peers.
And now that I still have you three experts at hand.My next subject:Extended landing gear.The high ones.This is the second time now I've had to send these gimbal guards back. They ALL touch my P3 Advanced camera.I've tried both shapes that Amazon sells.Tried EBay and AliExpress.No such luck! Sent all back.What has me worried about those extended landing legs is that will those 4 aerial things that are in the legs still be long enough.This is I feel is the only way I can see by still keeping the gimbal guard on(giving more stability to the legs?)and making the drone higher off the ground.

The problem I encountered is when they discharged to storage level, something comes up I need to grab my drone and fly, the batteries need to be recharged and by time I get a battery charged, the incident is gone I needed to fly!

Hi Mike and 3rdof5.Yes Amazon sells batteries but they won't ship to deepest,darkest war- torn Africa -Durban - South Africa. Only can get from local DJI suppliers at a rip-off price of ZAR3,500 which In dollars$ might sound cheap but with our devalued ZAR caused by our communist regime govt.it works out too be a helluva lot for just ONE battery! Now I'm a bit confused again over this "smart battery" and it's discharging cycle.I was led to believe the settings in the battery returned to the default.Then you have to put that /those batteries back into the drone for them all to register the 3 days discharge to storage level again?Obviously when you do this the drone must be on and the controller? OR must the drone be off and only the App. on?

No. While you must initially put the battery into the drone and get the app going and set the number of days until discharge, once you do that it will stay that way unless you change it. It does not automatically reset when you put it back into the drone. Clear?

No. While you must initially put the battery into the drone and get the app going and set the number of days until discharge, once you do that it will stay that way unless you change it. It does not automatically reset when you put it back into the drone. Clear?
Nearly.So 1stly.Everytime I put a charged battery whether or not I've pressed the button or not into the bird those days set in the app. are imprinted on every battery unless I've changed the amount of days?

Sorry for not being more clear. You must have a battery in the drone to be able to set the days until discharge. Once set, it is set for that battery that is in the drone and that battery will maintain that number of days until discharge after you remove it from the drone. After you remove that battery from the drone, you must repeat that process for your other batteries. The days until discharge is maintained internally on each individual battery not on the drone or in the controller.

Each battery will begin to discharge after the number of days you have set UNLESS you press the button on the battery at which point it starts the counter all over again. So, for example, if you have set the number of days until discharge at 5, and you have a charged battery and after two days, you press the button it will then wait another 5 days until it begins the discharge process. The battery will begin to discharge after the 5 days even if it is not in the drone. Even if you insert the battery back into the drone, it will have no effect on the days until discharge set in that battery unless you go through the process of resetting it for each battery.

in the event that you update the internal firmware for the battery, I am not sure, but I think it returns the number of days to discharge to the default of ten days, I believe, for each battery for which you have updated the internal battery firmware.

Thanks for the video.What's not clear to me is must the drone and the batt.be switched on and obviously the App. when setting the days down to discharge level.Every battery after being fully charged and gets put in the drone has the amount of days imprinted on it?

Sorry for not being more clear. You must have a battery in the drone to be able to set the days until discharge. Once set, it is set for that battery that is in the drone and that battery will maintain that number of days until discharge after you remove it from the drone. After you remove that battery from the drone, you must repeat that process for your other batteries. The days until discharge is maintained internally on each individual battery not on the drone or in the controller.

Each battery will begin to discharge after the number of days you have set UNLESS you press the button on the battery at which point it starts the counter all over again. So, for example, if you have set the number of days until discharge at 5, and you have a charged battery and after two days, you press the button it will then wait another 5 days until it begins the discharge process. The battery will begin to discharge after the 5 days even if it is not in the drone. Even if you insert the battery back into the drone, it will have no effect on the days until discharge set in that battery unless you go through the process of resetting it for each battery.

in the event that you update the internal firmware for the battery, I am not sure, but I think it returns the number of days to discharge to the default of ten days, I believe, for each battery for which you have updated the internal battery firmware.
Thanks for that clear info.So is the drone switched on with the App.when setting your days of discharge?Surely when that date is set for that battery every other batt will have the same amount of days set on it?

Thanks for the video.What's not clear to me is must the drone and the batt.be switched on and obviously the App. when setting the days down to discharge level.Every battery after being fully charged and gets put in the drone has the amount of days imprinted on it?
The charge level of the battery makes no difference. The RC must be on and connected to your device so you can open the Dji go app. Each battery must be inserted into the AC and everything powered on to change the setting FOR THAT PARTICULAR battery. You must repeat this procedure for each battery. Once the days to discharge has been set simply power off the AC to write the setting to that battery. Each battery will remember it's own setting unless the battery's FW gets updated in which case you will likely have to repeat the procedure once again. Pressing the power button on the battery after that will NOT change the days to discharge setting. It WILL reset the internal timer on that battery to zero and it will start counting up to the time to discharge again.

The charge level of the battery makes no difference. The RC must be on and connected to your device so you can open the Dji go app. Each battery must be inserted into the AC and everything powered on to change the setting FOR THAT PARTICULAR battery. You must repeat this procedure for each battery. Once the days to discharge has been set simply power off the AC to write the setting to that battery. Each battery will remember it's own setting unless the battery's FW gets updated in which case you will likely have to repeat the procedure once again. Pressing the power button on the battery after that will NOT change the days to discharge setting. It WILL reset the internal timer on that battery to zero and it will start counting up to the time to discharge again.
So when you say the remote controller and the device must be on you mean the device to be a cellphone/iPad? Is it best not to reset the internal timer?

So when you say the remote controller and the device must be on you mean the device to be a cellphone/iPad? Is it best not to reset the internal timer?
Yes everything must be connected and powered on (same as if you are going to fly, just dont start the motors) and yes if the battery is being stored do not touch the power, just leave it alone, like I said earlier, every time you press the power button it resets the timer, meaning if the battery is set to discharge in 3 days and u press the power button on day 2, it will take another 3 days from the time you pressed the power button to auto discharge.

Yes everything must be connected and powered on (same as if you are going to fly, just dont start the motors) and yes if the battery is being stored do not touch the power, just leave it alone, like I said earlier, every time you press the power button it resets the timer, meaning if the battery is set to discharge in 3 days and u press the power button on day 2, it will take another 3 days from the time you pressed the power button to auto discharge.
So resetting the timer is not good for the battery?

So resetting the timer is not good for the battery?
No its not. A LiPo will be slowly damaged if stored with a full charge, Dji knows this and that's why they added the auto discharge function to protect the battery. If the battery is fully charged and u keep pressing the power button before it auto discharges it will never discharge to a safe level and will be damaged. If you store the battery at a charge level below 65% its safe and the auto discharge wont activate. If its stored at a higher charge level of 65% it will discharge to below 65% automatically after the set number of days has timed out. Do not press the power button during that time.

No its not. A LiPo will be slowly damaged if stored with a full charge, Dji knows this and that's why they added the auto discharge function to protect the battery. If the battery is fully charged and u keep pressing the power button before it auto discharges it will never discharge to a safe level and will be damaged. If you store the battery at a charge level below 65% its safe and the auto discharge wont activate. If its stored at a higher charge level of 65% it will discharge to below 65% automatically after the set number of days has timed out. Do not press the power button during that time.
3rdof5?What's your name?Because I'd like to shake your hand.Your knowledge is appreciated Thanks.No one has told me that.Only that it will reset your timer.

Reactions: Rodee34
3rdof5?What's your name?Because I'd like to shake your hand.Your knowledge is appreciated Thanks.No one has told me that.Only that it will reset your timer.
My name is Mike. And I'm happy to help. I've only owned my Phantom for about 3 months and knew nothing about them whatsoever until I joined this forum. I'm simply passing on information I've learned from other great members here.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl