Balancing the hub as well as props

Reaction score
I have a question regarding balancing prop hubs. I used the sandpaper method to balance my props so I figured I could sand down the hub as well to balance. Well, some of my props required a lot of sanding and I wasn't sure if that was unsafe to do. Is it okay to sand the hub or should I look into adding glue or tape to counter balance instead?

Anyone? I've already sanded one side of the hub a lot and it's noticeable but wasn't sure how unsafe it was as far as structural integrity is concerned. I want to fly it soon but wanted to check in here first before I do. I don't want it falling it out of the sky. Thanks in advance.

First step is to balance prop blades so that they balance horizontal. Next step is to make the prop stand at 45 deg left or right. This step requires balancing the hub. Some use fine sand paper and others use tapes. Both are OK. Tapes can be easily addicted but may come off in due course. I had to never balance / sand so much and a little sanding was good enough. Hope you are using a good balancer like Du-bro.

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I am using a Du-Bro balancer and I've balanced my props horizontally. One of my props when I tried to balance it vertically, it was way off. I ended up sanding quite a bit on one side of the hub to the point where you can visually see that it was sanded down maybe 1-1.5mm but it still didn't balance. I didn't want to sand anymore as I was afraid that it would mess up the prop and cause my p3p to crash. Is it okay to sand the hub down like that?

Yes its OK to sand it on hub surface but I doubt if you need to sand so much. May be your horizontal balancing was not right.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl