AVIATION HANDHELD TRANSCIEVER

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried using an Aviation Handheld Transceiver to contact a control tower for permission to operate inside class D (5 mile airport traffic area) airspace?

I've had some issues contacting control towers by phone. I call, leave a message and get no reply multiple times. Anyone else have this issue?

Bob D.

This has been discussed a few times. The bottom line is you are not licensed and authorized to do so.

What would your station ID or call-sign be?

You're flying Part 101, right?

There have been some discussions on this in the past. The general consensus was, it's probably best not to use the radio to contact the tower as they may be very busy.

This has been discussed a few times. The bottom line is you are not licensed and authorized to do so.

What would your station ID or call-sign be?

I have an Airline Transport Pilot License and an old FCC Radio Operators License so that's not an issue for me. Call Sign would be my Drone Registration number.

I have an Airline Transport Pilot License and an old FCC Radio Operators License so that's not an issue for me. Call Sign would be my Drone Registration number.

That's great but it does not transfer to your remote aircraft.
You must have noticed no such study or test requirements were on your 107 test.

Reactions: John1960
I too have a VHF operators licence and I would use it to contact the ATC . By doing it that way, anyone on frequency will be able to know where and what you are flying. I would use my name as a call sign adding that it is a ground station. :)

Reactions: Bob D.
That's great but it does not transfer to your remote aircraft.
You must have noticed no such study or test requirements were on your 107 test.

I believe your wrong here. My FAA license (and FCC license) allows me to use a handheld to contact a control tower. It has nothing to do with being "transferred" to an aircraft or drone. I think its more a matter of if the tower would be pissed of that I used a handheld on their frequency for clearance to operate in their airspace.

Reactions: 10X
I believe your wrong here. My FAA license (and FCC license) allows me to use a handheld to contact a control tower. It has nothing to do with being "transferred" to an aircraft or drone. I think its more a matter of if the tower would be pissed of that I used a handheld on their frequency for clearance to operate in their airspace.

I think the tower would prefer that to you not saying anything, not to mention other pilots on frequency......

I not concerned. You do as you wish.

With all you're license and such you should be very aware of why the FAA did not require radio protocol training and testing.

The FAR's don't say you CAN'T use a handheld to contact a controller.... the average hobbyist wouldn't even know HOW to do that. But being an airline pilot, I know the how.... I'm just trying to figure out the "can I" without pissing the tower off....... That's why I brought this up for discussion here. I'm going to have to call my local FAA FSDO and talk with an inspector to see what the FAA stance on this is.... Its not always black and white. I'll give you an example... we all know the 5 miles from an airport but not every airport traffic area is a 5 mile circle around the airport. You would have to look at a VFR Sectional chart or Terminal Area chart to see the exact class "D" airspace dimensions. KFXE and KPMP are perfect examples of this.

A lot of folks like to complicate things.
A hobbyist only need notify tower if within 5 mile radius.
Within and beyond they should be below 400'. Well below the minimum altitude for full scale operation.

All of this is agreed to when you registered yourself with the FAA.

Within and beyond they should be below 400'. Well below the minimum altitude for full scale operation.

And that's what this whole discussion is about.... methods of notifying them....

400' is not the minimum for full scale operations!!!!!! We are allowed down to 10' if we wish...............in the right conditions....:)

Reactions: Bob D.
If you're flying 101, then you know you don't need "clearance." If you're flying 107, then isn't the procedure to notify online?

Consider that five other aircraft, all manned, might be requesting clearance at that moment, while you, who doesn't require clearance, is asking for clearance, and you're using the radio to do it.

But you're right - if the tower doesn't mind, then there would be no reason not to use the radio.

If you're flying 101, then you know you don't need "clearance." If you're flying 107, then isn't the procedure to notify online?

Consider that five other aircraft, all manned, might be requesting clearance at that moment, while you, who doesn't require clearance, is asking for clearance, and you're using the radio to do it.

But you're right - if the tower doesn't mind, then there would be no reason not to use the radio.

I just checked.....Your correct, under 101 all you have to do is give "prior notice".... it says nothing about how prior of if the tower can deny permission.....

1. Model aircraft that are operated in accordance with Part 101 Subpart E, Model Aircraft), which applies to model aircraft meeting all of the following criteria:

• The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;

• The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;

• The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;

• The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft;

• When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control (ATC) tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation;

• The aircraft is capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere; and

• The aircraft is flown within Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) of the person operating the aircraft.

That's is my understanding, All Part107 sUAV clearance request need to go through the FAA website. I also thought it was not recommend to 'self announce' unless absolutely necessary, and only at un-towered airports??

To the OP: I purchased the Yaesu FTA750L. Seems to have some very nice features, but a little pricey.

400' is not the minimum for full scale operations!!!!!! We are allowed down to 10' if we wish...............in the right conditions....:)
Please don't confuse the issue.
I am an inactive PP due to vision.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.