AVIATION HANDHELD TRANSCIEVER

I'm a CFI, and I teach 107 knowledge content to drone pilots; non-hobbyists. 1-800-WXBRIEF has a flight plan form for drone operations and B4U FLY can also chart the area in which drones are flying.Class D airspace is controlled airspace and therefore requires authorization from the FAA for 107 drone pilots. The FAA says that 107 operations are enhanced by listening to radio communications, but to actually get the authorization to work in controlled airspace the PIC should contact ATC online 90 days prior to the operation. 107 does say the PIC should not be talking on the radio. It's for situation awareness. The idea is that if the drone pilot knows there is a manned aircraft in the area he or she will keep the drone out of the way.

I believe pe9999 is correct. Contact the tower or airport by phone then monitor handheld for situational awareness is correct for hobby use.

FAA certificated pilots can take the remote pilot course at no charge on the FAA Safety website. It's an informative course on the new regs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Philltayl
I keep reading about the height restrictions that people don't fully understand or read fully. Helicopters have no height restrictions if flying under FAR Part 91. If flying under FAR Part 135 with Passengers they are required to fly at no less than 300' AGL except when taking off or landing. Like I stated before I personally liked 300' AGL as it is a comfortable altitude to do a 180° autorotation into a confined area in an emergency.

Sent from my SM-N910V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Philltayl
If you're flying 101, then you know you don't need "clearance." If you're flying 107, then isn't the procedure to notify online?

Consider that five other aircraft, all manned, might be requesting clearance at that moment, while you, who doesn't require clearance, is asking for clearance, and you're using the radio to do it.

But you're right - if the tower doesn't mind, then there would be no reason not to use the radio.

To Bob D and Mark The Droner,
"if the tower doesn't mind"... How would you know if they mind if you don't contact them? Just do it once and you will know from there on out. Especially since you can't get in contact with them on the phone, and because you (Bob D) have the license and the I presume the experience to use the radio, just do it. Most of us on this forum I'm guessing don't use a radio or are licensed either. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Let us know what they say. Thanks.

I'm glad you responded. I stand corrected. Best not to contact them.

You also said in that other post; "Unless and until the FAA and FCC establish communications protocols for UAS..."

So, if we are to contact the tower, I'm guessing by phone, but they don't pick up the phone, and if we must have a station license to use the radio and know what to say; the part about we UAV users contacting the tower is moot. What to do?

This has been discussed before. Phone would be ideal obviously, especially if you want to fly immediately.

Otherwise, it's been suggested: you can email them, write them a letter and mail it to them, knock on their door, tape a note to their hangar wall, etc. Do your best to "notify" them, document it, and fly. But remember - it's your responsibility not to endanger NAS. If anything happens, it's on you.

I have an Airline Transport Pilot License and an old FCC Radio Operators License so that's not an issue for me. Call Sign would be my Drone Registration number.
I don't think it's a good idea to contact a tower. They can be super busy and beside the registration number, if it's as long as mine, would make
them crazy!. I too have the same licenses but, to do hobby on those frequencies, Nope not advised. :) Jim

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31