Another failed mission due to DJI's unlock system

Reaction score
Is there anyone to talk to about the DJI "Fly-safe" system? Twice in a row now, I will be unable to fly my Phantom, first time (last Thursday) in class G airspace with a rarely used airstrip about 4 miles away and this time, in Class D airspace with Military tower and the FAA's permission, but can't unlock it due it showing a crossing airstrip that doesn't exist (it's showing an airstrip where a medical helo lands.) I can unlock either, but the drone doesn't recognize two unlocks, so there is no way to fly in this spot. I had a similar problem 1.5 months ago, and the drone took off, it got it 100 feet out, and it landed due to detecting the other airspace. I had no control over it, which is dangerous. Luckily, nothing moved under it while it was landing.

Is there anyone to talk to about the DJI "Fly-safe" system? Twice in a row now, I will be unable to fly my Phantom, first time (last Thursday) in class G airspace with a rarely used airstrip about 4 miles away and this time, in Class D airspace with Military tower and the FAA's permission, but can't unlock it due it showing a crossing airstrip that doesn't exist (it's showing an airstrip where a medical helo lands.) I can unlock either, but the drone doesn't recognize two unlocks, so there is no way to fly in this spot. I had a similar problem 1.5 months ago, and the drone took off, it got it 100 feet out, and it landed due to detecting the other airspace. I had no control over it, which is dangerous. Luckily, nothing moved under it while it was landing.
Solution is to buy a system that does not have an NFZ software controlling the system. Only accepting one unlock at a time is stupid when there are overlapping zones in DJI’s system.

Give me a call, 904-274-1079

Agree with DoomM, if flying that often in or near NFZs its worth a look at alternative drones. Especially if getting paid for the flights and receiving legal permission. Sad/dumb really. GL

Check out this video and see if it helps.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Bill32174
Been there, done that

Why have you not looked into No Limit Dronez? All it took for me was losing the first job and I knew something different had to be done. It was honestly the best 50 bucks I've ever spent. Still fly the same and follow all the same rules just no more big brother looking over my shoulder messing things up. Nothing sucks more than standing there with the customer trying unsuccessfully to get your drone in the air. Looking all kinds of stupid trying to explain why you can't unlock your geo-zone thanks to DJI. NOT DOING THAT AGAIN... EVER LOL.

Reactions: Droneted and MTO
Anyone else used the Autel Evo for jobs?
What are the camera specs?

The solution for me was legacy firmware and a legacy version of the Go 4 App. I fly wherever I wish whenever I wish. I follow the rules, of course, but am not bound by DJI.

D

My backup P4P has old firmware that still allowed disabling the GEO system in the unencrypted configuration. It works fine with the current version of the GO 4 app.

Rarely have needed it since the first time I had a problem years ago.

The solution for me was legacy firmware and a legacy version of the Go 4 App. I fly wherever I wish whenever I wish. I follow the rules, of course, but am not bound by DJI.

D

Reactions: BigL
Autel Evo is the answer.
The problem with the Evo is the lack of 3rd party app support. The only real advantage I can see is the no geofencing so if you can negate that in some way ( I chose NLD but there are other ways too) there are not enough Pros to outweigh the Cons. Just my opinion.

Reactions: MTO
The problem with the Evo is the lack of 3rd party app support. The only real advantage I can see is the no geofencing so if you can negate that in some way ( I chose NLD but there are other ways too) there are not enough Pros to outweigh the Cons. Just my opinion.
The lack of third party app support CAN be an issue. That’s why I keep my P4P around. But
the Evo handles wind better, flies when and where I want, and doesn’t have the DJI over saturated images.
I’ve only had to unlock my DJI drones twice, took nearly an hour each time.
No chinese company should control MY drone, ever. Especially when I have authorization from the FAA and have clearance from the tower.

Reactions: robport
New problem now. Been trying to get an unlock for 6 hours now. Supposed to fly tomorrow and the next day. Guess I won't be using the Phantom again It doesn't send me a verification number and when I repeat it, it tells me my phone number is wrong.

I'm risk adverse. In case something goes wrong, I don't want to have to say I modified the software with something the manufacturer didn't approve. Been trying to unlock it for another place to fly tomorrow for two hours now. No luck. I must have gotten on one of their lists or something. I'm happily using my Evo II Pro, which used to be a backup. I want to use the Phantom for backup now, but apparently can't even do that.

New problem now. Been trying to get an unlock for 6 hours now. Supposed to fly tomorrow and the next day. Guess I won't be using the Phantom again It doesn't send me a verification number and when I repeat it, it tells me my phone number is wrong.

Log on to DJI, go to my account. Under account overview click on address book. You should see your name, address, and telephone number. If the number is wrong you probably will have to contact them.

Can’t wait to see all the [emoji2]’s when RID becomes mandatory.
It may be a pain, but it's a totally different type of issue. RID will not keep you from getting a job done. DJI "Fly-Safe" does. By the way, I emailed DJI and explained the problem. After telling me I should send them all the information well in advance for them to unlock a "self-unlocking" zone, I got another email telling me they were interested in checking the problem out so would I kindly send my drone to them...and $65 to check it. They wanted me to pay them to help them determine what their problem was.

Solution is to buy a system that does not have an NFZ software controlling the system. Only accepting one unlock at a time is stupid when there are overlapping zones in DJI’s system.
Why have you not looked into No Limit Dronez? All it took for me was losing the first job and I knew something different had to be done. It was honestly the best 50 bucks I've ever spent. Still fly the same and follow all the same rules just no more big brother looking over my shoulder messing things up. Nothing sucks more than standing there with the customer trying unsuccessfully to get your drone in the air. Looking all kinds of stupid trying to explain why you can't unlock your geo-zone thanks to DJI. NOT DOING THAT AGAIN... EVER LOL.
I own several ( as in more than 10) DJI drones. Mostly P4P. I bought a crashed P4P from a guy that flies in the mountains. It took a while but I discovered it had "No Limit Dronez" firmware. I use it for these kind of cases and it works great. I almost took it out but after talking to the previous owner, I decided it might come in handy. He used it because it will take out altitude limits.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31