Australian Phantom Flyers!

I got the DJI Phantom 3 4K for $799 from Kogan. I figured that was a good compromise between value and cost and with the money I saved I can get an extra battery. I know it doesn't have Lightbridge but as a beginner I would freak out if I lost something that costs so much.

I've been watching videos all weekend but they make it seem so easy to fly . On a scale of one to ten how hard is it for a beginner to get the hang of?

You got it from a store in Adelaide? What store and how much?

Any tips for me or videos of your flights I can watch? What area are you in? I'm trying to find areas in Adelaide which are clearly okay to fly in but still wide open space but the only place I know of is Victoria Park.

8/10 its fairly easy to get a hang of.. just start off slowly and with beginner mode.

8/10 its fairly easy to get a hang of.. just start off slowly and with beginner mode.

So, I just got mine. How much truth is there in that I shouldn't upgrade the firmware for my Phantom 3 or I'll start to lose signal at 50m? Is this documented anywhere as a fault or just something you have experienced? Or does it not matter since mine is a Phantom 3 4K?

Its fine to upgrade firmware...basically just wait a few days let others make the jump first and u will know if there was something wrong with the update before u take yours to flight

Allways remember to set your return to home to 50.find a good open place away from powerlines etc calibrate your compass and stick with that calibration,unless u travel a great distance.

Jordan id still go out and buy a $50 quadcopter u really need to know how to fly good incase **** hits the fan.

Hey guys, does anyone knows where to get batteries and props in Melbourne from except online or ebay ?

Last edited:
Thanks mate, went to metro hobbies in the city and got myself a new battery and the last set of props the8had left lol

Hey guys do any of you Aussie pilots bother with a drone tracker? Marco Polo?? I will be soon travelling around Australia and whilst I haven't experienced a fly away I don't want be in remote areas and loose the drone.

I don't use a tracker. A lot of the really pretty areas if the drone goes down it is often inaccessible places anyway.
Or no mobile reception.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

@clu51
If you do get a tracker,one like the marco polo would be better as no sim card or phone sevice is needed.No mobile service is common in remote areas and even near major cities if you are in the more scenic areas due to the terrain.
A lot of the really pretty areas if the drone goes down it is often inaccessible places anyway.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
+1
Keep it in the air until it's at your feet.

Enjoy your trip.
Watch out for the beasties.

Hey i'm going to sydney and perth this july/august does anyone from there know any good places to fly my Phantom 3 Standard in either Perth or Sydney?
I prefer flying over water, or near water. That way, if I get into any trouble and lose control, there's less chance of harm to people or property.

I presume you want to capture photo and video - hey, why else would you have a Phantom? Advice is given on that basis...

Any coastal areas in Perth will be fine, but note that the best conditions for lighting (late afternoon with the setting sun shining back onto the shore line) are also the worst conditions for flying, with late afternoon sea breezes. The marina in Fremantle is good fun.

I haven't flown along the Swan River yet, but plan to take advantage of the morning sun shining on Kings Park from over the river. Also, the new Perth Stadium being built at Burswood would be a good spot to film from a river vantage point. Afternoon sun would be best there.

In Sydney, I'd probably head down to Port Hacking. You've got nice waterfront urban development on the river on the North side, and the Royal National Park on the South side. Be wary of proximity to Sydney Airport, although you're well out of the NFZ.

Other spots could include along the Parramatta River around the Olympic precinct, although I'd resist temptation to fly over the top of anything other than water. Silverwater Jail isn't too far down the river from there, and they're probably still jumpy after that helicopter break-out a few years back. Further along the Parramatta River, I reckon around Gladesville Bridge would be pretty spectacular, and then around the corner you've got Iron Cove Bridge too.

Too much closer to the city and I reckon you're starting to raise alarm bells. Sydney Harbour would be amazing, but I'd be scoping things out very carefully first. Maybe a quick dash from Cremorne Point to get the best view of the Opera House and the Bridge, but you're gonna have company! There's a lot of helicopter activity in the harbour, too.

I reckon the coastline from South Head down to Bondi Beach would be cool, and then the Bondi to Bronte Coastal walk too. Early morning to catch the best sun is obvious, but rather than sharing the trail with ambivalent tourists later in the day, it's more likely to be hostile locals on their morning walk.

Have fun!

A quick video of Black rock beach in vic, as soon as I took off i got a warning regarding some propulsion system battery saving so didn't wanna go too far on the water just in case

I dont bother with another tracker the dji app does it pretty well imo..ive had 2 fly aways because i was being an idiot calibrating and flying under powerline boxes at 2 am in complete darkness only to find it 20mins later from the apps google map tracking,its that good.

Hey boom if your near the mordiallic pier you should try some long exposures at night or take some footage just as the suns going down out from the pier,would look ace.

What was that shot in ?fps etc?
Hey Jake it was shot in 4k at 30 fps, haven't been to mordialac pier mate, might go some time. Don't get heaps of time to go out, im in mill park so it takes time to getvto ocean lol

And yep dji go app tracks everything on maps so you don't need any drone trackers for phantom

Also, avoid upgrading firmware. I upgraded mine and I could barely get 50m before loosing signal.... Returned it to store, got s new one, didn't upgrade and now can go easily 500m before I freak out cause I can't see it and bring it back!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

So has anyone tested the maximum flying capabilities of their Standard/4K?

I was at Victoria Park yesterday testing out my DJI Phantom 3 4K to see what the capabilities were and if the firmware update has messed anything up. But not testing it before upgrading the firmware I have no comparison.

I was able to fly it straight overhead to a max altitude of 112m before I started getting Signal Lost messages on the display. I set the max height to 120m so is that about right?
I was also able to fly it to a distance of 179m but wasn’t gutsy enough to go on any further because I started to lose sight of the drone. It definitely felt further. No signal loss.
Does anyone know if these details sound about right?

What have firmware upgrades done to limit people’s drones?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor