ATTI mode yes, but is it sensible to learn MANUAL ?

Reaction score
As a cautious newbie I spent a week reading up on all the good advice I could find. The Summary Guide PDf is invaluable and I switched mine to NAZA-M and enabled IOC before I even flew it (I have a BIG sticker reminding me to check S1/S2 are UP though).

Lots of advice to learn to fly in ATTI mode, because at some point you may well need it. Being able to fly it without relying on GPS, RTH or HL makes SO much sense. Still on my learning curve with it, but getting much better.

I've seen some advice today that I should learn to fly it in MANUAL mode - I don't get that advice, it seems wrong to me. If I have it right that will take away any stabilisation, render the IMU and compass pointless ? Sounds to me like that's something only VERY experienced pilots should do - am I right ?

yep your right, unless you have a lot of experience with Heli's and quads and the way they fly I wouldn't consider using manual mode, that said it does bring a whole new way of flying into your hands and if you are careful its worth having a play with it, remember if you lose control just hit the S1 switch up to put it back into GPS mode.

I think someone said if you want a go at it, take it up to about 200ft and see what happens when you switch to manual mode, then have your hand over the S1 switch if you lose control.

Most people will say learn to fly in ATTI mode as you are more likely to lose GPS,

Ive flown the small Hubsan quad which is as close to a manual quad as you can get, and on fast setting its scary, but I don't mind if it crashes .

crash1sttime said:
yep your right, unless you have a lot of experience with Heli's and quads and the way they fly I wouldn't consider using manual mode, that said it does bring a whole new way of flying into your hands and if you are careful its worth having a play with it, remember if you lose control just hit the S1 switch up to put it back into GPS mode.

I think someone said if you want a go at it, take it up to about 200ft and see what happens when you switch to manual mode, then have your hand over the S1 switch if you lose control.

Most people will say learn to fly in ATTI mode as you are more likely to lose GPS,

Ive flown the small Hubsan quad which is as close to a manual quad as you can get, and on fast setting its scary, but I don't mind if it crashes .

Yeah I can see it would make sense to play with the cheap little quads on manual before going anywhere near it with the P2V+.

What I haven't got my head around is why you would ever need it (aside from it being more responsive and fun). GPS can fail so you need ATTI, but what can fail to mean you NEED MANUAL ?

Only thing I can see is I watched a video theorising that flyways would result from the P2V+ thinking it was more than 1500(?)m from it's home position and deciding to head there. Wouldn't switching to ATTI give you control though ? Any circumstances where you would need to switch to manual to regain control ?

Taking the Phantom up high for safety and recovery time is fine but being high, it's harder to tell the attitude of the craft being on the ground. I suggest after making sure you have gps and a good compass calibration.,,, is to takeoff in gps or atti. Make sure quad is flying well and holding position if in gps. Go up about 10 to 15 feet and when hovering, go to manual. Do this on a calm day. Give it very small stick input at first just to get the feel of it. If you have trouble, go back to gps quickly. When it is stable again, give it another try. Being close to you makes it easy to see the movement of quad per your stick input. That's harder to do if it's 2 or 300 feet up. IMO

I have both my Phantom s set up for manual. I feel it a last ditch effort to save the quad if gps, failsafe etc is not working. I can always turn tx off for failsafe

Yeah... if you don't have a lot of confidence - manual is risky. Having flown CP heli's you have to be very comfortable knowing how each input effects movement. That said - I think if you can learn manual flight it helps you better understand the characteristics of flying the quad.

The advice I would give on this would be the same for people learning to fly CP helis - get enough altitude so that you are three mistakes away from hitting the ground or another object. You WILL make mistakes... mistakes are only fatal if you don't have time to recover.

I guess ...

1) flipping S1 back to ATTI or GPS gets me back in control and the P2V+ will quickly stabilise itself (? what if it's upside down and heading for the ground ?)
2) I would certainly remove the gimbal and camera

There's no rush to learn it as it will be a journey more than a destination.

But definitely get some altitude in a clear space and try it so you know what to expect and quell some fear, anxiety, and plain 'ole curiosity.

RhythMick said:
I guess ...

1) flipping S1 back to ATTI or GPS gets me back in control and the P2V+ will quickly stabilise itself (? what if it's upside down and heading for the ground ?)

It will stabilize itself if it has enough time. You have probably seen the videos where the people throw the Phantom in the air while it is running and it will right itself and hover in GPS mode.

badbrad97 said:
RhythMick said:
I guess ...

It will stabilize itself if it has enough time. You have probably seen the videos where the people throw the Phantom in the air while it is running and it will right itself and hover in GPS mode.

Yes I'd seen those - and proven for myself how it stabilises itself both in GPS and ATTI while in a low hover. I'll keep practising with the £30 Hubsan Q4, then try the phantom without the gimbal later.

I would STRONGLY recommend NOT to try manual. I tried it once and it costs me over $200 to fix it after the crash.

i will try manual sometime beginning in the next few weeks. my main hesitation is the possibilityof accidentally bumping/hitting s1 and putting it in manual during flying. Or accidentally going all the way down to manual when I only wanted atti. Wish there was a 2 step process for manual mode activation... wonder if a mod is possible for that. Like two switches that have to be turned on for manual to be engaged. Either way i will try it. Now I have to find a nice open field with tall brush/grass to cushion it if it falls.

mendezl said:
i will try manual sometime beginning in the next few weeks. my main hesitation is the possibilityof accidentally bumping/hitting s1 and putting it in manual during flying. Or accidentally going all the way down to manual when I only wanted atti. Wish there was a 2 step process for manual mode activation... wonder if a mod is possible for that. Like two switches that have to be turned on for manual to be engaged. Either way i will try it. Now I have to find a nice open field with tall brush/grass to cushion it if it falls.

You could consider removing the gimbal/camera of course, to reduce the damage if you do crash it.

Khudson7 said:
I would STRONGLY recommend NOT to try manual. I tried it once and it costs me over $200 to fix it after the crash.

And thus I say that those who are afraid to fall will never fly, and if you cant afford the hobby then don't get into it.

I'm scared every time I take it up, because I wrecked my share of RC planes and helis in my over 40year career as RC pilot.

Still I take off, almost every day, if the weather allows, and I fly mainly over big water.

Nothing wrong with being a bit scared, it's called courage. :)

crash1sttime said:
Khudson7 said:

And thus I say that those who are afraid to fall will never fly, and if you cant afford the hobby then don't get into it.

I think that's a little harsh. I think it's wrong to rely on GPS and RTH, pilots should learn to be comfortable with ATTI for when GPS isn't available, but I've yet to hear an answer to my question : under what circumstances might I NEED to use manual (aside from sheer fun and achievement).

RhythMick said:
crash1sttime said:
Khudson7 said:

I think that's a little harsh. I think it's wrong to rely on GPS and RTH, pilots should learn to be comfortable with ATTI for when GPS isn't available, but I've yet to hear an answer to my question : under what circumstances might I NEED to use manual (aside from sheer fun and achievement).

I would say almost never... the only thing I can think of is if you are tying to get a very specific shot at an angle that GPS and/or ATTI won't readily allow you to provide... after that - I would say it's just a fun challenge for some people?

crash1sttime said:
Khudson7 said:

What an idiotic thing to say

Myownvisions said:
crash1sttime said:
Khudson7 said:

What an idiotic thing to say

:) well - I wouldn't go so far to say it's idiotic. For the question about whether someone should fly in manual mode - I would say if you're not comfortable with the risk (200.00 crash) - then stay far away from Manual mode... doesn't necessarily mean get out of Phantoms - but to fly manual (if you don't have a lot of experience) you are certainly adding financial risk.

In general though - the point is overall valid. #1... if you always play it safe - you won't advance your skill (afraid to fall will never fly). #2 - If you are living paycheck to paycheck and a complete loss (or a significant repair) will really stress you out financially - then yeah... find a hobby that makes more financial sense. Certainly #2 can play into #1.

I flew a T-rex 600 flybarless and a T-rex 500 flybarless - A wreck on the 600 could easily jump to $200+ dollars - whereas the same wreck on a 500 would cost 60% less. So I tended to fly the 500 more... and push my skills on it... and left the 600 on the shelf more (even though it was my favorite bird).

So - in a sense - I was following the "idiotic thing to say" - I wouldn't push myself on the 600... and I didn't feel like I could afford to crash... so I stepped down into the 500. In that context - the statement doesn't sound idiotic to me at all.

Thanks to those that defended my statement. For me, aerial flying is all about photography/videography. The only reason I can see to use manual is if you are a stunt flyer, wanting to do flips and things. More power to you. I prefer concentrating more on the video and letting GPS/ATTI do it's work, less to have to concern myself with, when videotaping. Manual is useless(and was expensive for me) when I tried it. In that one case, I was about 20 feet off the ground, when I flipped into manual, the phantom immediately turned upside down and made a B-line to the ground before I could re-act.

In no way, will it stop me from flying. I love the hobby, have done well so far, without ever needing it. Maybe someday, but I made the previous statement to warn any newbies, it is NOT something to take lightly. As others have said, give yourself plenty of air space so you have enough time to re-act. For newbies, I would recommend removing manual in the software and replacing with RTH, so you do not accidentally hit it. The first time you DO try it, you better be ready for the unexpected.

Buckaye said:
In general though - the point is overall valid.

Yeah the point is well understood, though that wasn't where I waas coming from. It's about where people are on the learning curve. With my few weeks of experience it would be idiotic to jump into manual mode, though I'm sure I'll try it at some point (after I can fly the Q4 comfortably, and even then without the camera at first). I just wanted to know if there were any scenarios where I might need to - and answer above indicates NO.

Thanks all. LOVING the P2V+ - I'm sure I would never have gotten into this hobby without something manageable out of the box, but equally I can see me wanting to build something at some point soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing