Attaching dog tag on Phantom 4

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Our Dutch government decided that 'drones' have to be marked with a dog-tag providing contact details. Somehow they made up that it has to be made out of metal, sigh.

Now the Phantom 4, as small as it is, has to be provided with this dog-tag. Does anyone know the best placement location so that the chance on interference/blockage of signal is the smallest?

I was thinking maybe on top? Under the DJI logo, or at the bottom? ( See the attachment for the pictures)

Hope someone has a tip!

Attachments

• IMG_5360 kopie.jpg
    IMG_5360 kopie.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 790
  • IMG_5362 kopie.jpg
    IMG_5362 kopie.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 866
Not on top. GPS antenna is located there.

Bottom location looks good.

Reactions: PeterGNJ
I hope the tags are aluminum , and not metal, also can you post a picture of the tags them selves, We make the Phantom Rain Wet Suits and may be able to make a pocket for that tag to sit in safely. Keep me posted. Phantomrain.org

Hook it on the leg. It won't come off.

Looks like stainless steel (edelmetaal) which is not magnetic if I'm correct so should be fine.
RVS brandplaatjes (Drone plaat) | Legerplaatjes Dog Tags

Question is also how you attach it. Don't use metal stuff.. Don't attach it loose thru it's hole as he will move in all directions.

Find example but Phantom has no flat surfaces like this..
34df5471a4087d9c97a45b28a84d8896.jpg

Bending the tag to adopt surface shape is maybe possible but 3D printed holder would be cool..

Last edited:
Some metals are not ferromagnetic and pose no issue, such as aluminum.
The ferromagnetic metals are compensated for during compass compensation.
It is important that the item not move after compensation otherwise it will need to be done again.
Thus motion in/during flight could be problematic.

Reactions: RémyHeli
I experimented this case in the past by adding one metal ring to each leg. GO4 app displayed compass errors right away. Without recalibrating compass in this case.

adb28f2f7da0a5f8afc7762d6d0adbf1.jpg

I experimented this case in the past by adding one metal ring to each leg. GO4 app displayed compass errors right away. Without recalibrating compass in this case.

adb28f2f7da0a5f8afc7762d6d0adbf1.jpg

That’s to be expected.

Now make sure the are fixed in location and perform the compass compensation.

There are some cases where items too close to compass or too large can not be compensated for.

Are there minimum size requirements? How much info is required? If it’s minimal look into small copper tags. They are bendable and you can wrap it around a down arm on the landing gear.

I attached a pic.

Attachments

• 3D22D9C7-CEB2-4472-B5C0-5CF40EB84EA3.jpeg
    3D22D9C7-CEB2-4472-B5C0-5CF40EB84EA3.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 513
In the nl link I have provided looks like the following is recommended. Despite not reading dutch..

- registration number (ph-nummer)
And ideally:
- owner name
- address
- email
- phone

Netherland one.

Just curious, what happens if you're caught without a dog tag?

If this is not aluminum than you are going to need something to shield it , my advice is to pick up a Phantom Rain Wetsuit and will custom fit a pocket for the tag,, you can slide it right in, and you have all the benefits of the Wet Suit and than some, and maybe you will be glad you got the tag in the first place. Phantomrain.org Keep us posted. We have a laser cutter if we would need to trim the metal but I think it would be ok as is.

Hi everyone,

Our Dutch government decided that 'drones' have to be marked with a dog-tag providing contact details. Somehow they made up that it has to be made out of metal, sigh.

Now the Phantom 4, as small as it is, has to be provided with this dog-tag. Does anyone know the best placement location so that the chance on interference/blockage of signal is the smallest?

I was thinking maybe on top? Under the DJI logo, or at the bottom? ( See the attachment for the pictures)

Hope someone has a tip!
This should be protested vigorously. Some bureaucrat with no knowledge of drones or electronics making up a rule that can actually cause additional danger to the very product they are trying to regulate.

Geo

Reactions: UAVIZ

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna