At last.

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm Chris. I joined this forum a long time ago when i was about to buy my first Phantom. I had an unexpected money problem which put the drone on hold for a while LOL. Anyway, I've got my first Phantom now. It's a P3S It's a great little machine. I'm still a beginner so that's why i got the Standard. I love it.

Greetings from the UK.

Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

Reactions: Cnw1971
Welcome and congratulations on the new quad Chris!

I like the look of the Mavic pro. Just gotta get more experienced before i spend that kind of money tho. I wish these things were cheaper. o_O

I like the look of the Mavic pro. Just gotta get more experienced before i spend that kind of money tho. I wish these things were cheaper. o_O
Have you looked at the Spark? It has come down a lot in price and they have a deal now where the controller comes with it for free. - https://store.dji.com/product/spark

Anyway, I've got my first Phantom now. It's a P3S It's a great little machine. I'm still a beginner so that's why i got the Standard. I love it.

Congratulations on becoming the proud owner of a P3S, Chris, and welcome to the forum. I expect that you'll get many hours of enjoyment and satisfaction from your Phantom. The P3S may be an affordable entry level model but, it's still an amazing machine for the investment. I'm still amazed at what it can do, and I've had mine for well over a year. Don't underestimate its capabilities. I'm not at liberty to say what my P3S is actually capable of for range but, suffice to say, I got far, far more for my money than I was expecting. I recently upgraded to a P4 but, it certainly wasn't because my P3S disappointed me in any way. Quite the opposite. I have no plans to ever get rid of my particular P3S simply because it performs exceptionally well for what it is. Don't hesitate to reach out to the members of this forum if you have questions or issues. Overall, this is an outstanding group of experienced pilots who truly want to help and assist others. I'm still amazed at the manner in which they respond to others. Good luck.

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
0rojyyg-png.95983

Congratulations on becoming the proud owner of a P3S, Chris, and welcome to the forum. I expect that you'll get many hours of enjoyment and satisfaction from your Phantom. The P3S may be an affordable entry level model but, it's still an amazing machine for the investment. I'm still amazed at what it can do, and I've had mine for well over a year. Don't underestimate its capabilities. I'm not at liberty to say what my P3S is actually capable of for range but, suffice to say, I got far, far more for my money than I was expecting. I recently upgraded to a P4 but, it certainly wasn't because my P3S disappointed me in any way. Quite the opposite. I have no plans to ever get rid of my particular P3S simply because it performs exceptionally well for what it is. Don't hesitate to reach out to the members of this forum if you have questions or issues. Overall, this is an outstanding group of experienced pilots who truly want to help and assist others. I'm still amazed at the manner in which they respond to others. Good luck.

Yeah that's why i joined this forum, i know there will be lots of experienced flyers i can call on for help. I love my P3S. I might look at increasing its range soon.
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Ya, I just got my first drone about a month or two ago (also a P3S). Honestly, I think that and the Spark are the two best DJI drones you can get for your dollar. Of course now that I know I really enjoy the hobby, I'm already looking at what I'd like to upgrade to next. Just gotta keep telling myself to wait a while. Maybe make a personal rule that there has to be at least a 12 month buffer period between drone purchases? :D

All National Parks are NoFlyZones, US and Canada. Part of the canyon must be out of the park somewhere.

Welcome to the forum Chris ,

I hope you find the following information useful.

To protect yourself in the case of an accident, insurance is a good idea. e.g. (BMFA) British Model Flying Association (UK). It costs £35 at the time of writing. Click on the link to view their web site :-

Members Insurance

You can also insure your UAV against damage : -

Drone Insurance - Phantom Flight School

The next thing to do is join a flying club to learn the ropes. Its more than likely there will be members only too glad to help out with advice or find someone near you who has a Phantom.

After some time, something to aim for is :-

Multi-Rotor –

You might like to try the following apps. The first one shows UK airspace and includes NOTAMS.

UK AirspaceAVOID for Pilots – Android Apps on Google Play and :- No Fly Drones

One item that I have found to be of great help is a clear coloured strobe light. I affixed mine to the rear of my P3 and it is easily seen in daylight for some distance. It helps greatly to determine orientation.

STROBON Cree® Standalone - Flytron

If you are going to carry out any flights you can register the area you will be operating at with dates, times and the grid reference to the RAF who will issue a NOTAM to relevant agencies. Their number is Low Flying Ops 0800 515 544.

This might sound OTT, but helicopters have a nasty habit of sneaking up on you sometimes at below 100 feet. Such examples are the electricity, RAF, air ambulances, police and private owners to mention a few. Helicopters can do whatever they want to - where ever at altitudes from 0 - 3000 feet.

Even though I do advise the LFO of my flights above 150 feet you still have to keep your ears in radar mode. I don't advise LFO of flights below 100 feet because it does not take long to descend in an emergency.

With my P3A I practised an emergency descent at 200 feet by cutting the motors with the left stick hard back, and then at 100 feet, three quarters throttle. It worked well and recovered normal flight. Nice to know it works though. Real brown trouser job the first time. You might think I am paranoiac but I do have lots of helicopters flying around here.

It does make me shudder when I think of what might happen if one of the helicopters airmisses my P3. Probably nothing - but then again ....... Anyway, the grid reference can be found on :-

Grid Reference Finder

If you haven't already done so, consider adding your LOCATION to your forum profile to help us know where you are when you post suggestions or ask for assistance. It helps a lot more than you might think especially because this is an international forum with members are from all parts of the world.

If you have any questions try doing a search first by clicking the magnifying glass top right. You might find your question has already been asked and it will save you a lot of time. If you can’t find an answer, then just post the question. If you want to check your spelling, put your cursor over the word with a red line under it, click once right and choose the correct spelling.

The golden rule :- Always get permission from the landowner to take off and land.

Enjoy the forum.

Attachments

• dronecode PDF.pdf
    131 KB · Views: 123
Welcome to the forum Chris ,

I hope you find the following information useful.

To protect yourself in the case of an accident, insurance is a good idea. e.g. (BMFA) British Model Flying Association (UK). It costs £35 at the time of writing. Click on the link to view their web site :-

Members Insurance

You can also insure your UAV against damage : -

Drone Insurance - Phantom Flight School

The next thing to do is join a flying club to learn the ropes. Its more than likely there will be members only too glad to help out with advice or find someone near you who has a Phantom.

After some time, something to aim for is :-

Multi-Rotor –

You might like to try the following apps. The first one shows UK airspace and includes NOTAMS.

UK AirspaceAVOID for Pilots – Android Apps on Google Play and :- No Fly Drones

One item that I have found to be of great help is a clear coloured strobe light. I affixed mine to the rear of my P3 and it is easily seen in daylight for some distance. It helps greatly to determine orientation.

STROBON Cree® Standalone - Flytron

If you are going to carry out any flights you can register the area you will be operating at with dates, times and the grid reference to the RAF who will issue a NOTAM to relevant agencies. Their number is Low Flying Ops 0800 515 544.

This might sound OTT, but helicopters have a nasty habit of sneaking up on you sometimes at below 100 feet. Such examples are the electricity, RAF, air ambulances, police and private owners to mention a few. Helicopters can do whatever they want to - where ever at altitudes from 0 - 3000 feet.

Even though I do advise the LFO of my flights above 150 feet you still have to keep your ears in radar mode. I don't advise LFO of flights below 100 feet because it does not take long to descend in an emergency.

With my P3A I practised an emergency descent at 200 feet by cutting the motors with the left stick hard back, and then at 100 feet, three quarters throttle. It worked well and recovered normal flight. Nice to know it works though. Real brown trouser job the first time. You might think I am paranoiac but I do have lots of helicopters flying around here.

It does make me shudder when I think of what might happen if one of the helicopters airmisses my P3. Probably nothing - but then again ....... Anyway, the grid reference can be found on :-

Grid Reference Finder

If you haven't already done so, consider adding your LOCATION to your forum profile to help us know where you are when you post suggestions or ask for assistance. It helps a lot more than you might think especially because this is an international forum with members are from all parts of the world.

If you have any questions try doing a search first by clicking the magnifying glass top right. You might find your question has already been asked and it will save you a lot of time. If you can’t find an answer, then just post the question. If you want to check your spelling, put your cursor over the word with a red line under it, click once right and choose the correct spelling.

The golden rule :- Always get permission from the landowner to take off and land.

Enjoy the forum.
Thanks for all the help.
:)

Welcome to PhantomPilots from Dayton Ohio! Fly safe and have fun!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl