ARRIS CM2000 Brushless Gimbal for GoPro

Yep, powering from the phantom battery using the auxiliary out cables; getting about 7 minutes of flight time right now. I ordered the phantom-arris battery cable to get it a bit better looking http://www.hobby-wing.com/cm2000-phanto ... -wire.html

No fpv yet, but if all goes well I hope to get started next month (can't wait.. :p )

I need some help wiring a gimbal if anyone is willing to message me, would really appreciate it.

Gizmo3000 said:
auck said:
3 - what is your flight time?
...flight times are coming in at between 5-7 minutes. basically what you'd expect with a 250-270g payload...
So it is a very short flight time... Payload cca corresponds with GoPro and FPV Tx ?

gardenroute said:
Gizmo3000 said:
auck said:
3 - what is your flight time?
...flight times are coming in at between 5-7 minutes. basically what you'd expect with a 250-270g payload...
So it is a very short flight time... Payload cca corresponds with GoPro and FPV Tx ?

I've not had a chance to test on my Phantom (still waiting for new controller) with FPV
but yah. the gimbal weighs 195g (not 155g as advertised :p ) GoPro is 75g. = 270g
so it'd be 300g with FPV

I have a fatshark predator fpv so i know the transmitter's power consumption is next to nothing vs the motors. how much power on average does the ARRIS CM2000 gimbal use? would it be worth it to tack on a secondary battery and parallel it to get a longer flight time? i am looking for a flight time of aprox 10 min.

Hello everyone!

Allow me to introduce myself real quick: I'm a video hobbyist from Finland who's just placed an order for the Phantom & Hero3 combo, and expecting to receive it later this week.

I've spent a few days reading forums and browsing eBay for an affordable brushless motor gimbal, and at the moment it looks like ARRIS CM2000 is The One. I love how stable the footage looks in YT videos.

Now, I'm a total newbie when it comes to Quadcopters and gimbals so you'll have to excuse me for any dumb questions I might be posting. I promise to do some reading and learnin' before opening my mouth. This thread has already been a goldmine for information and I hope to add my experiences to it eventually.

My aim is to have manual control over pitch and roll of the camera -- as well as to have a functioning FPV system so I can see what I'm shooting. I'm aware I might be looking at a heavy payload and short flight times but that's not an issue for me.

I've already placed orders for a very tiny 5.8GHz transmitter and an LCD monitor with built-in 5.8GHz receiver, along with cloverleaf antennas. The unit is supposed to have a range of only 100 meters but it should suffice for starters.

I'd appreciate any recommendations and words of warning you might have as I embark on this journey :)

Thanks for reading!

auck said:
I have a fatshark predator fpv so i know the transmitter's power consumption is next to nothing vs the motors. how much power on average does the ARRIS CM2000 gimbal use? would it be worth it to tack on a secondary battery and parallel it to get a longer flight time? i am looking for a flight time of aprox 10 min.

from the tests that others have done, the Arris doesn't consume much power at all.
and adding an additional battery to power it (and FPV) will only decrease flight time due to the additional battery weight.

adding another parallel battery to power the Phantom itself is the only solution to add flight time
..but that also adds weight, making the phantom heavy and adding more strain on the motors and props and changes flying characteristics.
most tandem battery setups I've seen have used identical batteries, not really sure how it would work if you could strap on a 1000mah battery.
this is where it would be nice if DJI had made the Phantom with a larger battery compartment! (which I'm sure is coming in the future, since they're doing so with the Phantom Vision)

Soo... if I want to control both pitch and roll, I need to buy another transmitter. Is Futaba T8J the one to go for?

And if I get another controller, I need to replace the receiver in Phantom... or add another next to the existing one?

pteittinen said:
Soo... if I want to control both pitch and roll, I need to buy another transmitter. Is Futaba T8J the one to go for?

And if I get another controller, I need to replace the receiver in Phantom... or add another next to the existing one?
Not true, there are aftermarket pieces that work on the "hidden channel" on the Phantom tx.
http://www.simensays.com/
Although most other 8 channel remotes have such knobs or sliders used to move the pitch. Futaba is good, but pricey, and there are other more economical options out there.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... stems.html

pteittinen said:

if you want to manually control/adjust pitch, you can still get by with the Phantom Tx, using the little hidden 7th channel on the back with one of the little arms that some guys are selling.
If you want to manually adjust the roll tho, that would require getting another Tx/Rx
I played around with my servo gimbal, and discovered that even with my Futaba, the NAZA does not seem to allow any manual control of roll via the 8th channel to pass thru to the roll (like it does with the pitch ) (perhaps eventually they will add it with firmware/software,)
But to be honest, manual roll is something most flyers can live without. (but it does open up some possibilities).

The T8J is the minimum of the Futaba's you'd want to get to replace the Phantom Tx, because it has 8 channels.
tho it only has a single extra dial that can be used to control pitch and such.
the 8FG Super is pretty rad tho, but even more pricey. - but it does have TWO dials on front (and I think some on the back as well), which is nifty.
and there are other brands that you could go with.

most come with Rx's the box as wel, and are pretty easy to install. you would remove the Phantom Rx, unplug the S-bus and then plug it into the Futaba Rx. simple as that. (I think tho, that some people keep their original Rx inside their phantoms just in case)

Gizmo3000 said:
pteittinen said:

if you want to manually control/adjust pitch, you can still get by with the Phantom Tx, using the little hidden 7th channel on the back with one of the little arms that some guys are selling.
If you want to manually adjust the roll tho, that would require getting another Tx/Rx
I played around with my servo gimbal, and discovered that even with my Futaba, the NAZA does not seem to allow any manual control of roll via the 8th channel to pass thru to the roll (like it does with the pitch ) (perhaps eventually they will add it with firmware/software,)
But to be honest, manual roll is something most flyers can live without. (but it does open up some possibilities).

The T8J is the minimum of the Futaba's you'd want to get to replace the Phantom Tx, because it has 8 channels.
tho it only has a single extra dial that can be used to control pitch and such.
the 8FG Super is pretty rad tho, but even more pricey. - but it does have TWO dials on front (and I think some on the back as well), which is nifty and there are other brands that you could go with.
most come with Rx's the box as wel, and are pretty easy to install. you would remove the Phantom Rx, unplug the S-bus and then plug it into the Futaba Rx. simple as that. (I think tho, that some people keep their original Rx inside their phantoms just in case)

I just got the 8fg super, it has sliders on the back, they are nifty to fly and adjust on the fly. They need to be broken in, but I do like the "beep" at center of the sliders. I just watched a video on adjusting the roll manually, using the Futaba t8j. I'll look for it later. My favorite feature is the sbus, its allows 14 channels with one wire. She still feels a bit awkward after 3 flights with her, and the switches can scare the crap out of you if you hit the wrong one (manual mode). :shock: Although it can be a LOT intimidating just looking at the menus and trying to get your mixes down. I have TONS to learn.

Thanks guys for the informative posts!

So, if I understood correctly, I need 8 channels to work both pitch and roll of the gimbal - and Phantom's own transmitter only does 7, with the 7th one being "hidden" and kinda awkward to use without modifications to the tx. Right?

And basically any 8 channel tx + rx combo will do, even the cheap-ish ones from Hobbyking..? (Except they don't appear to have cheap 8ch ones.)

Ooh, I can't wait to receive my Phantom :)

pteittinen said:
Thanks guys for the informative posts!

And basically any 8 channel tx + rx combo will do, even the cheap-ish ones from Hobbyking..? (Except they don't appear to have cheap 8ch ones.)

Ooh, I can't wait to receive my Phantom :)
What is your definition of cheap?
9 channel radio: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... dule_.html
And you can manually move roll axis, with proper mixing, on the Futaba.

MX45OR said:

Heh OK, that's dirt cheap! Oh, but it needs a separately sold RF Module... well, those aren't expensive, it seems.

You know, I must have browsed only the first page of transmitters as I don't remember seeing any Turnigys. D'oh!

pteittinen said:
MX45OR said:

Heh OK, that's dirt cheap! Oh, but it needs a separately sold RF Module... well, those aren't expensive, it seems.

You know, I must have browsed only the first page of transmitters as I don't remember seeing any Turnigys. D'oh!
No worries, I just didnt want you to get discouraged by feeling "stuck" with a Phantom tx.
I happen to have one of these 9XR radios with the FRSky module and a battery. I bought this radio and a week later I found an unused 8FG super with rx, neck-strap, battery and charger for less than $300. I had to buy it, so now the 9XR is for sale. My wife says,"You spend too much on unneeded stuff and just let it collect dust". Yup, guilty,as charged.

Hey Guys
Im a newbe on here as I just got hooked with the phantom and in the past week got every bell and thing amagiggie to go with it! :lol: This is an addiction I ordered the fat shark / the arris two go pros everything thats extra with a go pro case extra shell the list goes on. My question is I ordered the arris last wednesday 29th and got this" Your order has been updated to the following status:
New status: Delivered"

but nothings been deleverd and I cant get a reply from [email protected]... Has anyone else had any shipping issue with them?
I was told it would ship ups
e/m from amy..
Yes, you could receive it if we send it by UPS.

Regards,
Amy

于 2013-05-29 00:53, Curtis 回复:
Hi
I just put a order in and was curious when the shipping would be as I
need this for a shoot in Mexico as I leave on the 13th of june do you
think i will receive it before then? Thanks in advance.. : )

Order Number: 4xx
Date Ordered: Wednesday 29 May, 2013
Detailed Invoice:

Head over to rc groups. Look for an Arris thread under multirotors. The person you want is nancy1987. It a great support thread with the manufacturer! Sorry Adam for directing away from this forum!

where do you live?
unfortunately the CM2000 is taking them awhile to send out, as they test each one individually and such.
However, if you got a email saying it was sent out, it should arrive to you within 8-10 days.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl