Are Prop Guards worth keeping

Reaction score
There is a post elsewhere today which seems to infer Prop Guards are trouble.
I'm past the "starting" stage but still a relative beginner, any advice most welcome.

As a beginner you should be in open/clear spaces to learn. No need for them in such situations.

I personally never owned/used them.

Reactions: Pharm and pandora
rumour has it a branch getting stuck betwixt the guard and the prop will burn out the motor. I used mine for about a week and retired them. If you take off the brackets as well make sure you use shorter screws as the ones that come with the guards are too long without the bracket and will kill the motors

Reactions: pandora and Oso
Prop guards are a great accessory if you're flying indoors or near people. Unless you're an expert pilot, you probably shouldn't be doing either of those things.

Hi folks, I'm a relatively new pilot, just finally signed up to the forum properly.
Prop guards - I've been using them since getting my standard just after Christmas. The only drawback I've found is that they can come into view on camera when you're pitching forward. I usually tilt the camera down slightly to avoid this. A positive incident was one time when landing manually, I accidentally pushed the right stick, before the engines shut down. This made the drone try to fly backwards when it was touching the floor. So it fell over backwards and bounced up and down on the prop guards till I got the engines shut off. If I hadn't had them, my rear props would have been toast.
So, pros and cons I guess, but I'm keeping them for now.

Reactions: sdileon
Hi folks, I'm a relatively new pilot, just finally signed up to the forum properly.
Prop guards - I've been using them since getting my standard just after Christmas. The only drawback I've found is that they can come into view on camera when you're pitching forward. I usually tilt the camera down slightly to avoid this. A positive incident was one time when landing manually, I accidentally pushed the right stick, before the engines shut down. This made the drone try to fly backwards when it was touching the floor. So it fell over backwards and bounced up and down on the prop guards till I got the engines shut off. If I hadn't had them, my rear props would have been toast.
So, pros and cons I guess, but I'm keeping them for now.

I'm a new drone pilot. The first few times taking off the drone tilted sideways and beat up my props. My fault completely, but after having to replace props I'll keep my prop guards on until I become a better pilot.

The first few times taking off the drone tilted sideways and beat up my props.
I always takeoff manually, with gusto. Full throttle to ~10 ft... never had a tip-over even in windy conditions

Reactions: caupwhiting
I always takeoff manually, with gusto. Full throttle to ~10 ft... never had a tip-over even in windy conditions
I learned the hard way to give it the gas and get it into the air as quickly as possible. I haven't had any issues since but feel better knowing the prop guards will help if the drone tips a bit on takeoff or landing. As I become more proficient, I may remove them.

Cheers

Reactions: umanbean
I learned the hard way to give it the gas and get it into the air as quickly as possible. I haven't had any issues since but feel better knowing the prop guards will help if the drone tips a bit on takeoff or landing. As I become more proficient, I may remove them.

Cheers
Keep the guards on, near walls updraft tips it over. I've found that if you take off from a slope, manual landing is crap, have to hand catch.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic