Are my batteries just bad?

Reaction score
I bought my P2 drone back in 2014. At the time I got some extra batteries for it and have 3 total packs. Each battery has maybe 4-8 flights on it and I use the battery charger from B&H that came with it.

The problem is that about a year after I bought the drone, I had an incident where on a fully-charged battery and about 2 minutes into the flight, the drone went into auto-land mode (all red flashing) and I just about lost it because of this.

The drone sat in a box for quite some time and I now just recently took it out again. I fully charged all battaries and went for a flight over water. Batteries were showing full voltage and 9X% charge. Then within a minute, voltage dropped to 10.X volts and the drone went into auto-land. Almost lost the damned thing again!!

I drained all 3 of my batteries down to 0% by running the drone on the ground (which took for ever and was really annoying), then charged them. I was able to replicate batteries going from 100-85% to under 10% charge within seconds a few times and it seems to be entirely random when it happens, but usually within 5 minutes of the flight.

I am not sure if my batteries (which have had very little use) have gone bad, or if my drone is jacked somehow. It almost feels like a voltage mis-read by the drone, honestly. How can I test actual battery voltage with a multi-meter?

Any other ideas on what I should do here?

I bought my P2 drone back in 2014. At the time I got some extra batteries for it and have 3 total packs. Each battery has maybe 4-8 flights on it and I use the battery charger from B&H that came with it.

The problem is that about a year after I bought the drone, I had an incident where on a fully-charged battery and about 2 minutes into the flight, the drone went into auto-land mode (all red flashing) and I just about lost it because of this.

The drone sat in a box for quite some time and I now just recently took it out again. I fully charged all battaries and went for a flight over water. Batteries were showing full voltage and 9X% charge. Then within a minute, voltage dropped to 10.X volts and the drone went into auto-land. Almost lost the damned thing again!!

I drained all 3 of my batteries down to 0% by running the drone on the ground (which took for ever and was really annoying), then charged them. I was able to replicate batteries going from 100-85% to under 10% charge within seconds a few times and it seems to be entirely random when it happens, but usually within 5 minutes of the flight.

I am not sure if my batteries (which have had very little use) have gone bad, or if my drone is jacked somehow. It almost feels like a voltage mis-read by the drone, honestly. How can I test actual battery voltage with a multi-meter?

Any other ideas on what I should do here?

If those batteries were never stored at 50% and checked in all those years It's time to replace them. If you live in the states DJI stock batteries cost $129.00 but you can buy aftermarket batteries online from eBay for $54.00 and up. Just get on eBay and type in 5400mAh 11.1v batteries for phantom 2 vision.

If those batteries were never stored at 50% and checked in all those years It's time to replace them. If you live in the states DJI stock batteries cost $129.00 but you can buy aftermarket batteries online from eBay for $54.00 and up. Just get on eBay and type in 5400mAh 11.1v batteries for phantom 2 vision.
There are so many aftermarket batteries out there, and I haven't read a great review of any and hesitant to try one. Any recommendations, I looked on the DJI site and I didn't see any batteries available for the P2.

There are so many aftermarket batteries out there, and I haven't read a great review of any and hesitant to try one. Any recommendations, I looked on the DJI site and I didn't see any batteries available for the P2.

I've been using a 6000mAh battery without any problems and many I have been in contact with using the 5400mAh batteries have had no problems either. As the four DJI batteries, I have need replacing I'll go with 5400mAh batteries and when those are no longer available the P2 can be modified to use standard li-pos for even less money. Here is a link for the 5400mAh battery on eBay.

New For DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus Drone Quadcopter 5400mAh 11.1V Battery Part | eBay

The decision is up to you either pay $129.00 or $48.89 for an aftermarket battery.

I have three batteries too and they're going from 100% charged to 1 green light and not being able to fly in just a few minutes.

I have three batteries too and they're going from 100% charged to 1 green light and not being able to fly in just a few minutes.

You've seen what I posted above have you not? If you purchased a used P2 and the batteries are not giving flight times of 10, 15 or more minutes then you should fully charge each battery then check the current values of each vs the number of cycles. There have been quite a few used P2 on the market in which the previous owners hadn't stored the batteries correctly and causing new owners having to purchase new batteries. A new battery should give flight times of 15 minutes loaded and close to 20 minutes without extra equipment.

Finding OEM batteries is becoming difficult to find and the cost can be $129.00 and up. There are aftermarket 5400mAh batteries available for P2 for as little as $48.89 on eBay look at post #4 above for the link.

You've seen what I posted above have you not? If you purchased a used P2 and the batteries are not giving flight times of 10, 15 or more minutes then you should fully charge each battery then check the current values of each vs the number of cycles. There have been quite a few used P2 on the market in which the previous owners hadn't stored the batteries correctly and causing new owners having to purchase new batteries. A new battery should give flight times of 15 minutes loaded and close to 20 minutes without extra equipment.

Finding OEM batteries is becoming difficult to find and the cost can be $129.00 and up. There are aftermarket 5400mAh batteries available for P2 for as little as $48.89 on eBay look at post #4 above for the link.

These aftermarket batteries work well? The P2 does not give any “ not ome certified “ batteries?

These aftermarket batteries work well? The P2 does not give any “ not ome certified “ batteries?

Why not buy one and try it out. But you shouldn't have any problems with aftermarket batteries. If you buy from Amazon or eBay both have a return policy. If you live in the states there are plenty of dealers sell the 5400mAh batteries.

After some advice from Jason on a diff thread ive bought an aftermarket one in the UK, delivered in a day or two and worked fine today.
I stupidly didnt store my battery correctly hence needing new one, and its not till ive compaired the two ive noticed how puffy my old one is. Might even buy another aftermarket one now as I always wanted two batteries!

After some advice from Jason on a diff thread ive bought an aftermarket one in the UK, delivered in a day or two and worked fine today.
I stupidly didnt store my battery correctly hence needing new one, and its not till ive compaired the two ive noticed how puffy my old one is. Might even buy another aftermarket one now as I always wanted two batteries!

All batteries will get puffy but that doesn't necessarily mean the battery is bad and if they were in hard plastic case you'd never see that happen.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl