apparently...

FAA requires notification, not permission, to fly near an airport or helipad, including hospital helipads. Was the hospital notified before your observation flight? If it was, and you had a name to put with the notification, you are covered. You would have done all that the FAA requires of drone pilots in this instance.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
We all are learning. Thanks

You say you "almost" had the cops called on you. How do you know this? Did someone at the hospital see your drone from that far away?
they approached me and told me i was breaking the h.i.p.a.a. law and that i was to put my drone back in its case and drive away otherwise they were gonna call the police

Last edited:
It would be the NFZ of the Heli pad they use for Flight4Life that got him in trouble. Not shooting video or photos of a hospital.
they were shouting more about me breaking the h.i.p.a.a. law than the helicopter pad

FAA requires notification, not permission, to fly near an airport or helipad, including hospital helipads. Was the hospital notified before your observation flight? If it was, and you had a name to put with the notification, you are covered. You would have done all that the FAA requires of drone pilots in this instance.

negative on notification

they were shouting more about me breaking the h.i.p.a.a. law than the helicopter pad

AFAIK, you are not bound by the HIPAA law. They are though.

they approached me and to me i was breaking the h.i.p.a.a. law and that i was to put my drone back in its case and drive away otherwise they were gonna call the police
You don't say who told you.
Just because some unknown person told you it was against HIPAA laws doesn't mean that the person was correct.
It could be that they really have no idea what they are talking about.
Here's a summary of the privacy provisions that are covered by HIPAA:
The HIPAA Privacy Rule
The HIPAA Privacy Rule establishes national standards to protect individuals’ medical records and other personal health information and applies to health plans, health care clearinghouses, and those health care providers that conduct certain health care transactions electronically. The Rule requires appropriate safeguards to protect the privacy of personal health information, and sets limits and conditions on the uses and disclosures that may be made of such information without patient authorization. The Rule also gives patients rights over their health information, including rights to examine and obtain a copy of their health records, and to request corrections.

Were you looking at patient's confidential medical records?
It would appear that your source is misinformed as to what is covered by HIPAA.

Reactions: Sim597
@Meta4 they thought i was spying on patients through windows because according to them (hospital staff members) they said a patient reported seeing a drone outside their window that flew by, which is funny because i wasn't any where near windows not even close... like i stated in my original post i took a pic of the construction that was going on

Explain your opinion please.

that's not my opinion, i just answered your question about me notifying the hospital before flying, which i did not if.im misunderstanding your question please restate it differently.

Yep, Meta4 is correct on the HIPAA regs. But, since you were in proximity to the helipad I would recommend in the future contacting the hospital and get a name to put with the notification. Most of the time if you tell them you'll bug out if you see any aircraft activity they are good with that.

Reactions: Romans109
that's not my opinion, i just answered your question about me notifying the hospital before flying, which i did not if.im misunderstanding your question please restate it differently.

Sorry. I was a bit vague. My apologies.

Sound's like common sense to me.
Any invasion of privacy is bound to be an issue.
Hospitals, School's, Business's, Playgrounds, etc....
Fly smart and stay out of trouble.

There is no hard and fast rule of invasion of privacy. It all depends on who, what, why, when, and where for each particular case.

You don't say who told you.
Just because some unknown person told you it was against HIPAA laws doesn't mean that the person was correct.
It could be that they really have no idea what they are talking about.
Here's a summary of the privacy provisions that are covered by HIPAA:
The HIPAA Privacy Rule
The HIPAA Privacy Rule establishes national standards to protect individuals’ medical records and other personal health information and applies to health plans, health care clearinghouses, and those health care providers that conduct certain health care transactions electronically. The Rule requires appropriate safeguards to protect the privacy of personal health information, and sets limits and conditions on the uses and disclosures that may be made of such information without patient authorization. The Rule also gives patients rights over their health information, including rights to examine and obtain a copy of their health records, and to request corrections.

Were you looking at patient's confidential medical records?
It would appear that your source is misinformed as to what is covered by HIPAA.

I would agree with you Meta4. If this is the summary, it says nothing about someone looking in a patients window, only their medical information of any type.

except these three hospital staff members stated that i was on "private hospital property" so i don't think they will take kindly to me if i "notified" them that i was gonna fly there if did again at all lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4