App crash in flight

Has anybody tried to disconnect the tablet after launch? In a nightmare scenario, how will the P3 behave if the tablet and app completely disconnect but the RC stays on? You would hope that it all still works! Even the RTH.
Try it. Go in an open field. Pull the usb cable out. You should still be able to controller the bird. Now trigger RTH with the physical button.
It should come home as the RTH commands is through the controller and not the app.

Haven't seen it on the iPad Mini or the iPhone 6+ (yet). But from what I have found it is not DJI specific, and affects other apps also. But you can't be seeing this message on any IOS device as its a Android error message. I have seen my screen blink off and then right back on, sometimes when taking photo's or switching from maps to live view, I just thought it was normal behavior.
thanks for information might have to by IOS device .more money. but may be it might get sorted by Google soon ??.

I have been using the Google Play DJi app for a couple of weeks. In that time and about 10 flight, I only had one 'freeze', then in about 5 seconds, the app returned to normal operation,
Since I have been unable to download the DJi app from DJi to my Samsung S4, I downloaded it to my PC and then downloaded it via USB to my S4 phone. It installed fine.

First flight tonight...app stops working. Good thing I was at 30% battery and was close by. Second flight went without issues.

My P3A is still at 1.0.8.

I was flying last night using a Note 4 for the first time and the app crashed with that message. Has never happened on the ipad air but it has other issues with connection. Scary loss I know my battery was critical when it crashed the app.

This exact same thing happened to me today, like you say nothing weird happened but i'd of been nervous if it had been further out, latest 1.1.9 firmware and pilot app from the dji website.
Same thing happened again today but this time i was out 2500ft :eek: this is a MAJOR ISSUE! The quad did not do anything weird and held its position but it felt like a lifetime until the app rebooted! I remained calm and let go of the sticks and the app came back onto the camera view after a few seconds, another worrying thing was when i had the view back the compass in the app was not functioning correctly saying it was actually behind me! I had to move the tx in a semi-circle and the radar corrected itself to the right position and i flew it back to me, Lucky for me i knew roughly where the quad was before i lost connection in the app so i knew the radar was incorrect when it first come back on.
I can see this being a major concern for new flyers as they would probably just follow the initial radar.
Wi-fi and bluetooth was turned off before flight and the video cache locally is switched off, no other apps are running on the Sheild so no problems there. Its obviously a bug in the pilot app or the latest 1.1.9 firmware not sure?
I really hope this gets fixed soon!

It happened to me again yesterday morning in the backyard she was way up there, I knew just stay calm and the screen will come right back up. Sure enough she did, just continued flying like nothing happened. The more we get the word out to new owners the better, seeing this is not their fault. The first time it happened to me I shut the app off and restarted it freaking out at the same time, now it's like yeah relax....

Happened again. I was just up. Everything as usual except that I had a slow SD card. I was experimenting with the x5 stills bursts and it was taking a while to write. I just hovered while it wrote the files. Then I got a NO SIGNAL in red on top of the app. But I did on fact have signal because I retaned control. Then the app crashed and I brought the bird down as normal.
Then I tried something: I rebooted the app and the P3 and setup for another flight. When everything was go, I unplugged the tablet. I was still able to start the motors and tale off. All controls normal. The gimbal wheel worked but not the c1 button (camera straight to down). I didn't have the guts to fly it out and try RTH because I was over a wheat field and I didn't want to just land and trash the farmers crop. But at least I know I'll keep control when the app crashes.

after 24 flights, I had my first android app crash! Not far away, 250m high and 100m far, but did not have a visual. Fortunately enough, having read similar accounts in this forum I did not panic at all. 20 seconds later it connected again. So, thx to you guys!

Reactions: envisionabove
Two Very Scary times for me today, disconnected.... Cables checked, airplane mode, no apps in background, a place I few before.
Disconnect One : very close by me and tx 15 feet, school grounds basketball courts, (the poles should not cause disconnect? didn't before )
Disconnect Two: Moved to baseball area no poles, disconnect.

Android Nexus 7II
NOT the app crashing, app stayed on, just gray disconnect.
Both times waited and waited still bird was in my control. (manual land)
Baseball area shut down app and restarted, bird still in control, did not reconnect.(Bad Manual Land)

Both times brought bird down manually . ( Learn to land manually! )
Restarted launched... walked around while connected sat's 16 linked, tried to recreate disconnect no luck.
Landed and took off a few times to hover about 15' walked away and back and around, stayed connected.

Too freaked out lost confidence to do some practicing.
Came home cleaned the bird up as she flipped on my second manual landing.
Birds fine some dust and prop burns. and a bruised ego.

Recharging to go back out to an open field I fly at.

Filming in 4096x2160 24fps Scan Disk Ultra 64gb formatted
:(

EDIT: Forgot extra battery in back pocket? You think?????

Had three app crashes (2013 Nexus 7) in one flight this evening.
I've deleted the app completely and re-downloaded.
But can't try again because still waiting for additional batteries ordered weeks ago.

Something seems to be getting worse and worse with it, seems some kind of caching issue is likely.
The first few flights it never crashed at all.

Had three app crashes (2013 Nexus 7) in one flight this evening.
I've deleted the app completely and re-downloaded.
But can't try again because still waiting for additional batteries ordered weeks ago.

Something seems to be getting worse and worse with it, seems some kind of caching issue is likely.
The first few flights it never crashed at all.

Going to do the same...
Even Wondering if I should do a reset for the hell of it.
Still getting the gapp error too...

iOS, I was 1.59 miles out today and got the Gray Disconnect Banner. The App stopped showing any telemetry or video but it stayed up without an error. 7-10 seconds later I got the iOS "Trust this Computer" prompt (iOS does this for plugged in devices). The App didn't reboot though just the prompt. Then I regained telemetry and video.

I found that I still had RX control while it was "Disconnected" as I saw in the video afterwards that it yawed then started going backwards as I commanded it when I was trying to turn it around and fly back to me during the "Disonnect".

I do not know if RTH would have worked in this situation as I didn't try it. But let's hope it would as I would have no idea which way it was facing if the App didn't reconnect. Remember I was 1.59 miles out and about 250-290ft up.

As an experiment, I put the P3A on the table and pointed the camera at the television set. Powered everything up, started DJi app, recording and watched.

As time went on, the delay (lag) between live TV and FPV increased until there was more than a four second interval before the FPV would update.
The app did not crash freeze or stop. I let it run for about 13 minutes.

My craft is still at 1.1.8 and using a Samsung S4 at Android 5.0.1.

I experienced the same delay using the Google Play app.

I have downgraded my galaxy s4 from 5.0.1 to android 4.4.2 and installed 1.1. pilot app. first flight finished without any problems. With 5.0.1 after 10 mins app starts to freeze until chrashes. :)
I am running P3P

I bought a 2013 Nexus 7 to act as monitor and when I first set it up let it sync the apps as on my Phone.
Anyway the Pilot app was crashing ever more frequently so decided to wipe it back to factory condition and only install pilot and one or two basic things like ES file explorer.
This seems to have stopped the crashing and also eliminated the little squares you'd sometimes see when turning sharply.

Since it worked OK for several flights with the other apps installed, I aren't convinced the problems won't return though.
I was a bit surprised that the factory reset didn't revert to Android 4 from the 5 I updated it with on day one, seems to be OK with it though.

I bought a 2013 Nexus 7 to act as monitor and when I first set it up let it sync the apps as on my Phone.
Anyway the Pilot app was crashing ever more frequently so decided to wipe it back to factory condition and only install pilot and one or two basic things like ES file explorer.
This seems to have stopped the crashing and also eliminated the little squares you'd sometimes see when turning sharply.

Since it worked OK for several flights with the other apps installed, I aren't convinced the problems won't return though.
I was a bit surprised that the factory reset didn't revert to Android 4 from the 5 I updated it with on day one, seems to be OK with it though.
Whew I just bought a Nex 7 also and I thought you were going to say it's screwed or something lol. I'm supposed to get mine tomorrow. Been using an S5 but it's just too small.

I've had the app disconnect (iOS) lots of times. I've even had to reboot the app completely while the P3 was still in the air. I believe it's more of a WiFi issue. I had problems with my FC40 like this trying to use a WiFi extender to connect to a GoPro. The main thing is not to panic. Your controller is still what's driving the P3 and you have to be patient to reboot the app, and maybe unplug and replug the USB cable. Thus far, I've always gotten the connection back.

I fly where there's lots of WiFi signals around and even try, but often forget to turn off my phone WiFi, so I'm guessing that's why there's disconnects and app crashes (where it won't reconnect unless you restart the app). If I'm in a WiFi congested area, I try to stay line of sight. That way, I can still fly the drone home. Long story made short, don't panic as you can probably get the app restarted and reconnected to the P3 and get full control.

Try it. Go in an open field. Pull the usb cable out. You should still be able to controller the bird. Now trigger RTH with the physical button.
It should come home as the RTH commands is through the controller and not the app.
yes today app whet off so decided to pull cable out quad was ok had fly about with out app no problems also before pulling cable out started recording after about 8mins used RTH worked fine. Got home had a look at SD card and the recording was all on card. so all I can say is don't worry if it happens if your a new pilot.

Not willing to try and 'back out' Android 5.0.1 to 4.4.2 from my Samsung S4, I searched for solution to 5.0.1 issues. This is what I found:

http://www.androidpit.com/galaxy-s4-lollipop-problems-and-how-to-fix-them

I went ahead and cleared the cache and turned off all window animation, transition animation and animator duration scale using the instructions in the link above.

After completing these two changes, I powered up the P3A, controller, S4 and started recording. The changes appear to have fixed the increasing lag issue I had last evening using the same test configuration. I let the test run for 10 minutes and did not noticed any lag longer than ~300mS. I have not flown with these changes yet.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20