App crash in flight

Not willing to try and 'back out' Android 5.0.1 to 4.4.2 from my Samsung S4, I searched for solution to 5.0.1 issues. This is what I found:

http://www.androidpit.com/galaxy-s4-lollipop-problems-and-how-to-fix-them

I went ahead and cleared the cache and turned off all window animation, transition animation and animator duration scale using the instructions in the link above.

After completing these two changes, I powered up the P3A, controller, S4 and started recording. The changes appear to have fixed the increasing lag issue I had last evening using the same test configuration. I let the test run for 10 minutes and did not noticed any lag longer than ~300mS. I have not flown with these changes yet.
thanks for the link I have just done this to my phone turned on DJI app and it is a lot quicker. but have not tried in flight yet. Fingers crossed hope to test today

thanks for the link I have just done this to my phone turned on DJI app and it is a lot quicker. but have not tried in flight yet. Fingers crossed hope to test today

Well, this issue is very intermittent. I did a couple more bench tests and the app ran fine, sometimes, but would slowly start to increase lag and then crash/restart.
The DJi app on Google store appears to run longer before crashing than the DJi app. But, it still is intermittent.

I don;t want to have to purchase another Android device, but it may come down to that....

Just an update to my earlier post...
I reset my nvidia shield to factory defaults, unfortunately that still left me running lollipop...I would have preferred to go back to KitKat but that's not really an option. I updated all preloaded applications, and installed the latest dji pilot.
Day 1: All looks good, no crashes.
Day 2: Completed the flight, hit the physical record button on the controller to end the recording session, the app hangs. Eventually I got a message saying that the app was not responding, so I clicked ok, and it reopened. The P3 was already on the ground during all of this, so no moments of panic.
Day 3: Flawless.
Day 4: P3 on the table, powered up while I run through the various photography settings, and take test photos. During this period I had the app hang twice, both times when it recovered it brought up a random settings menu within the dji app (one time it brought up the battery view, second time one of the sensors menus). The third time was a full on crash where I got the Google apps error message, screen went black, and then it recovered. I went for a 10 minute flight (straight up, to test some photography settings). No issues during the flight itself.

Nothing else is installed except for the DJI Pilot app. The application would be fantastic if it didn't crash all the time. This is really disappointing...

Last edited:
Well, this issue is very intermittent. I did a couple more bench tests and the app ran fine, sometimes, but would slowly start to increase lag and then crash/restart.
The DJi app on Google store appears to run longer before crashing than the DJi app. But, it still is intermittent.

I don;t want to have to purchase another Android device, but it may come down to that....
hi have you gone in to develop mode on phone go in to about device and wear you see build tap repeatedly and develop mode will come up and then turn off animations will speed up phone because the app uses a lot. all the best Craig.

hi have you gone in to develop mode on phone go in to about device and wear you see build tap repeatedly and develop mode will come up and then turn off animations will speed up phone because the app uses a lot. all the best Craig.

Yes, read my post at the bottom of page 2.

But, I don't think this is a CPU 'horsepower' issue.

Hi, I've had my first Pilot app crash yesterday. I was about 1500m away when signal begins to get week and then after a 3 seconds freeze, the app crashes and close itself. I was afraid to restart the app and just pushed the RTH button.
After 3 long minutes it appears on the sky, then I regained control and land it visually.
I was using Ipad mini with Pilot 1.2.1 and firmware 1.1.9.
Video cash is turned on and has about 1 Gb. Wifi on and using 3rd party lightning cable.

Just home from work and anxiously waited for the P3A and my controller to update. As it was updating, I started to read this thread forum.dji.com/thread-16777-1-1.html and my hopes of an FPV lag fix in this version of FW quickly faded away.

The upgrade went as planned, but a quick test showed the lag was still prevalent and seems to start sooner than it did using 1.1.8...

Come on DJi, get your act together. I am tempted to email customer support and get a refund.

Reactions: gabrieldps
I have had 2 flights since updating to 1.2.6. So far not a single app crash. Keeping my fingers crossed...

My DJI GO app crashes at least once per flight. WiFi on or off, airplane mode on or off, doesn't matter.

I was 1/2 mile out at 300ft over water when it crashed last time. It was scary, but I mashed the RTH button and restarted the app and it came back on.

Im going to call DJI and see what's up. So far I'm not impressed with their customer service.

My DJI GO app crashes at least once per flight. WiFi on or off, airplane mode on or off, doesn't matter.

I was 1/2 mile out at 300ft over water when it crashed last time. It was scary, but I mashed the RTH button and restarted the app and it came back on.

Im going to call DJI and see what's up. So far I'm not impressed with their customer service.

You on Android? If not buy an iPad Mini 2 or wait until end of September when the new iPads come out. You'll be able to get an iPad, whichever older model, much cheaper. The Pilot and now GO App run buttery smooth and rock stable on IOS.

Reactions: Sneaky_ru
You on Android? If not buy an iPad Mini 2 or wait until end of September when the new iPads come out. You'll be able to get an iPad, whichever older model, much cheaper. The Pilot and now GO App run buttery smooth and rock stable on IOS.
Yes Android 5.0 Galaxy S4.

My thoughts exactly. Gonna try the iPad Mini 2 or 3. I've never had an Apple device before, but I hear people say they'll never go back to anything else after making the switch. :)

Yes Android 5.0 Galaxy S4.

My thoughts exactly. Gonna try the iPad Mini 2 or 3. I've never had an Apple device before, but I hear people say they'll never go back to anything else after making the switch. :)

Mini 2 is the same as Mini 3, except for the color options and fingerprint reader. If you're set on a Mini wait until Apple announces the new one then grab a Mini 2 for even less.

I used a Mini 2 at first but it wasn't cellular. So I got an iPad Air 2 cellular. It handles the heat a little better than the Mini although I only had a couple times when the App quit due to heat with the Mini. The Air 2 is also a little better from an anti-glare and brightness standpoint.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav