Anyone using a GPS tracker?

http://www.amazon.com/Tile-Gen-Phone-Finder-Finder/dp/B011HT9AL2?th=1&psc=1

489f4c218fb8242e05f44db91792d1db.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

What you use I think depends on where you do most of your flying.

Marco Polo is probably the best if you fly in areas where cellular service is spotty or non existent.

In areas where solid cellular service is present, a TK102B or TK109B are very inexpensive and very reliable devices for locating.
Typically $20-$40 for the device and $3.00 per month (average) for service.
If you want to spend more, Trackimo for $140 plus I think $60 for 3 months is an alternative.

I use a TK109B.
The Teletrac website sucks. I can't see anything about the TK109B like size, weight, cost, s/w, without give out my personal info. Why do they want to make things so difficult? I'll try YouTube. Geeze.

Tooh,

I use the Marco Polo system on all 3 of my birds. It comes with a hand held tracker. All you need to do is be within approx 2 miles of where it went down to find it. My wife and I tested it and it performed very well in the field. No subscription or service fees.Jerry

Where and how do u mount this thing on the P3a ? Any pics mounted?

That's not going to work to find your drone. It's good for 30'. Why would you suggest this if you haven't used it?

It works within 100ft cheap, lightweight solution if you are willing to hunt a little for your device. I do have it and it works great! Get your facts straight before chastising someone.

1b4e4d50d691b62552cd2b15db20d403.jpg

It works within 100ft cheap, lightweight solution if you are willing to hunt a little for your device. I do have it and it works great! Get your facts straight before chastising someone.

1b4e4d50d691b62552cd2b15db20d403.jpg

lmao im guessing you never experienced a flyaway. let us know how it works for that with 100 ft range. plus 100 ft is optimal with no obstructions.

lmao im guessing you never experienced a flyaway. let us know how it works for that with 100 ft range. plus 100 ft is optimal with no obstructions.

How about we give the guy a break??? That's just his opinion and if he uses it and works well for him then he's just talking of his own experience, is up to us wether we take his recommendation or not.
Back to the topic trackimo is a great choice in my opinion. I use it, is lightweight and always accurate. Battery life is about 2 days which is always a plus.

Reactions: pomonabill220
lol i wasn't trying to give him a hard time...im just trying to make sure that if he ever does have a flyaway he actually finds his drone.

anyways, i use trackimo too and i love it. i'm usually around areas with cell reception so it's never been a problem for me. however, if i decided i wanted to start shooting up in the mountains or very remote places, i would consider investing in a marco polo. however, the other question is, if you're in a remote location and you lose your drone and you can find it, is it accessible? for example if you were flying in the mountains or near a lake or very deep forest...i only got my trackimo because i have had a flyaway and lost a P3P cuz of it...and in my case a trackimo would have prevented that. you live and you learn i guess...

It works within 100ft cheap, lightweight solution if you are willing to hunt a little for your device. I do have it and it works great! Get your facts straight before chastising someone. Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

OK, 100'. That's still very far from being practical. If your P3 landed in someone's back yard you'll never find it from the street. What are you going to do, knock on everyone's front door? I still don't know why you would recommend such a product for drones. It's just not practical.

I hope you don't lose your bird and depend on Tile. Good luck.:rolleyes:

Reactions: dirtybum
OK, 100'. That's still very far from being practical. If your P3 landed in someone's back yard you'll never find it from the street. What are you going to do, knock on everyone's front door? I still don't know why you would recommend such a product for drones. It's just not practical.

I hope you don't lose your bird and depend on Tile. Good luck.:rolleyes:

+1

I was reading another thread the other day, they used the last known gps from the controller and it got them to within 30 feet in tall grass...the tile which would have helped in that situation with an audible sound...j/s

And it's light weight....

Maybe not the only solution, but a helper if your in a forest or tall grass...

Maybe the Marco Polo and the tile...

Btw, I've done 0 research on any product yet...

lol i wasn't trying to give him a hard time...im just trying to make sure that if he ever does have a flyaway he actually finds his drone.

anyways, i use trackimo too and i love it. i'm usually around areas with cell reception so it's never been a problem for me. however, if i decided i wanted to start shooting up in the mountains or very remote places, i would consider investing in a marco polo. however, the other question is, if you're in a remote location and you lose your drone and you can find it, is it accessible? for example if you were flying in the mountains or near a lake or very deep forest...i only got my trackimo because i have had a flyaway and lost a P3P cuz of it...and in my case a trackimo would have prevented that. you live and you learn i guess...

You got really good points there. I think Marco Polo is too expensive but if people can afford one then good for them, is it worth that much? I don't think so. If you are using trackimo and it losses signal you can always go back to the tracking history and it'll give you a pretty good idea of where you can start your search, It has gps so it doesn't rely on network 100%, it might not be super accurate at that point but it can definitely get you out of trouble.

Thanks, you as well. Yeah, personally for what Marco Polo does, it seems pretty expensive and doesn't have any other use other than for tracking drones or maybe your pets? Even then you'll need the pet version with the shorter stubbier antennas. And even worse, you have to carry around the tracker even though most likely you'll never use it. I like the trackimo because i can put it in my car, luggage, drone, whatever and it provides many uses. The tile is seriously no good for other than keys or stuff you may leave around the house. Also, the battery dies after 1 year so that would be painful if you forgot.

The flytrex is also very cool and apparently takes very low data, but I don't like the fact that it's much more expensive, and mostly the fact that it doesn't have it's own standalone power supply. Now, most likely when the battery does pop out, which it most likely will during a crash, it'll have recorded enough data for you to get there, but $140 plus 1 year free sounded a lot better than $190 + SIM + service etc. I also like the fact that Trackimo works worldwide and is fairly easy to use.

For those concerned with the whole 2g data network going away after this year, well, Trackimo is aware and is developing one with 3g capability and will offer an upgrade for current 2g users. I did see a post where they stated that one of the frequencies Trackimo operates on is already 3g? Not sure, but either way it should be a good long term investment, and the batteries are cheap too for replacement. Great product, goes to sleep when you dont use it too and battery lasts a while. I do wish it did update a little quicker than 1 minute, but oh well, what can you do right?

Why would I install a gps tracker isn't it redundant? You get the full flight log ON your mobile / tablet device while flying this thing. It records the position speed every second.
Gps tracker is useless when you already have telemetry ,no?

Why would I install a gps tracker isn't it redundant? You get the full flight log ON your mobile / tablet device while flying this thing. It records the position speed every second.
Gps tracker is useless when you already have telemetry ,no?

Good question, but I'm guessing that in the case of loss of contact with RC, an app crash and/or potential fly-away, then your last point of contact in telemetry may not get you close enough for recovery?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31