Anyone take a P4P camera apart?

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has taken one apart, I am curious about the lens configuration. On the P3 and P4 the lens is a type that can be replaced, I was wondering about the P4P in case I could increase the focal length. A slightly longer lens would make inspections easier without having to get closer to objects and I would prefer to stay with the P4P rather than an Inspire. Thx

I haven’t bought my drone yet, but flew RC planes several years, and also ran RC cars for racing. I’ve never understood why cameras, especially DJI, don’t have at least digital zoom in them. I’m wanting to buy my drones for SAR purposes mainly, and the ability to zoom in would be fantastic. As of now, if I want a closer pic or video, I have to fly closer. If I’m looking for a bad guy in a field or around buildings, I would rather stay higher.

I haven’t bought my drone yet, but flew RC planes several years, and also ran RC cars for racing. I’ve never understood why cameras, especially DJI, don’t have at least digital zoom in them. I’m wanting to buy my drones for SAR purposes mainly, and the ability to zoom in would be fantastic. As of now, if I want a closer pic or video, I have to fly closer. If I’m looking for a bad guy in a field or around buildings, I would rather stay higher.
In short, a optical zoom lens is a much more complex construction than fixed focal length meaning much more glass (several elements) and thereby more weight and size. This is currently reserved for larger drones. Digital zoom will not help you and can always be done in post.

I’ve never understood why cameras, especially DJI, don’t have at least digital zoom in them.
Actually DJI does incorporate lossless digital zoom in the P4 and Mavic. When recording in 1080 video you can zoom in 2X, which is a cropping of the 4K sensor. It works great, and it's a very clear view in the iPad with no loss of resolution. This is something I wish my P4P supported, but DJI hasn't bothered to include that yet on their 1" sensor cameras.

That’s what I’m leaning towards, the P4P. I don’t want 2000k of equipment close enough for a bad guy I’m trying to keep track of until officers can get to him, to be able to throw a rock or something, and hitting it. Sure, if I’m able to see him start throwing, I can quickly go up. But the ability to check for injuries, bleeding, or even responsive of say a lost child located in a field, would help the response.

That’s what I’m leaning towards, the P4P. I don’t want 2000k of equipment close enough for a bad guy I’m trying to keep track of until officers can get to him, to be able to throw a rock or something, and hitting it. Sure, if I’m able to see him start throwing, I can quickly go up. But the ability to check for injuries, bleeding, or even responsive of say a lost child located in a field, would help the response.
P4P doesn't support zoom. Only P4 and Mavic support the lossless 2X zoom.

Hijacking my own thread back I am not looking for digital or optical zoom, just the ability to change the focal length of the lens. The P4 and P3 lenses could be changed, used a standard type cctv lens. I am looking to capture more detail without getting closer. I know the Inspire cameras have focal length and zoom options but the P4P fits the mission better.

Hijacking my own thread back I am not looking for digital or optical zoom, just the ability to change the focal length of the lens. The P4 and P3 lenses could be changed, used a standard type cctv lens. I am looking to capture more detail without getting closer. I know the Inspire cameras have focal length and zoom options but the P4P fits the mission better.
If you've never seen a P4 with 2X zoom operate, you should look at that, unless you already have a P4P, making it too late to change direction. The 2X zoom in P4 works great because it's lossless, cropping the 4K sensor to get the clear picture in the iPad, since it's only 720 resolution. This assumes you're only interested in SEEING closer during inspections or SAR while flying, and the captured data isn't as important. And if you did change the lens in the P4, it would be even closer with the 2X zoom. The P4P doesn't offer 2X zoom, so I'm not so sure that's your best option if I understand your goals.

Does anyone check which lens is in Phantom 4 Pro? Does it the same as the P4 and P3 lens? I've found the not expensive spare lenses for GoPro, which capable with P3 and P4 lenses in China (AliEx..), for 15 - 25 dollars. They have M12 thread

HTB1bwPKOFXXXXadXFXXq6xXFXXXc.jpg

And also there are many CCTV telephoto lenses also with M12 thread
HTB1SpwsjzuhSKJjSspmq6AQDpXam.jpg

Does anyone check which lens is in Phantom 4 Pro? Does it the same as the P4 and P3 lens? I've found the not expensive spare lenses for GoPro, which capable with P3 and P4 lenses in China (AliEx..), for 15 - 25 dollars. They have M12 thread

HTB1bwPKOFXXXXadXFXXq6xXFXXXc.jpg

And also there are many CCTV telephoto lenses also with M12 thread
HTB1SpwsjzuhSKJjSspmq6AQDpXam.jpg
It not same does- P4 advanced has a variable aperture incorporated. It would also require a larger circle of illumination to cover the 1” sensor. You won’t find one. Too small a market .

An interchangeable lens would be interesting, like a lightweight 1 Nikkor lens, but nobody will make this thing focusing...

An interchangeable lens would be interesting, like a lightweight 1 Nikkor lens, but nobody will make this thing focusing...
Good point- the third party supplier would need to incorporate all the mechanical components for aperture and AF including the associated electronics to be operable with the P4A/P electronics or for fixed focus as a minimum electronics that would inform the P4 of fixed aperture value. The later option would cripple the camera functionality. Reality is the demand would not justify the engineering time and production cost.

So... DJI Phantom 4 Pro copter is a good big and expensive... toy. It can't be a good instrument because you can lost your dron sometimes when it is necessary to fly closer to the object. It is even not a good flying camera because camera needs zoom to make a good shots and movies. P4P is just a way to spend 1000 bucks and to find out that you need a more expensive Inspire ))

It's no secret that even P3's are used for work, not to mention P4P's, with their limitations. Shooting for Hollywood? Get that XXXL octo and a dual Red Epic setup. Shooting weddings outside (fair lighting)? Even a SPARK would do for most clients...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik