Anyone in Rhode Island?

I am new to the drone world and went to fly a colt state park in Ri. Got through my first battery and next thing I know three different DEM surround me. FYI can't fly at any state parks in Ri according to some law that they couldn't show anywhere.

U can fly over any state park as long as u are not standing on there property.anything one inch above the ground is open to fly.Congress is the only one able to change alter or change the law not the FAA.the FAA can only regulate manned airplanes.

Came here to follow up on this. Found this thread trying to find rules for RI's state parks to see if I could fly my spark and get some video while kayaking.

I emailed the RI DEM today and stated this:

My name is <Name> and I am a resident of Rhode Island in Warwick. I was writing to ask if the RI DEM had any specific rules on UAS/hobby aircraft flights in Rhode Island's state parks. I am a hobbyist looking to fly a small (less than 1 pound) quadcopter under the FAA's 336 rules for model aircraft (https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/model_aircraft/).

I am registered with the FAA, and I have contacted the Rhode Island Airport Corporation and spoken with our state aeronautics inspector and received permission from him for recreational flights, as well as discussed airspace restrictions in the state of Rhode Island.

I have heard reports of some individuals being told by RI DEM park employees that they were not allowed to fly in state parks, but those reports appear to be inconsistent, and the state of Rhode Island currently has no laws restricting recreational/hobby aircraft flights beyond the FAA rules.

Please let me know what is permitted, and any specific laws or statutes if there are any restrictions or if flights are prohibited in RI State Parks.

Thank you for your time,

I received this as a response:

According to the Park and Management Area Rules and Regulations 1.9 Section C ( http://sos.ri.gov/documents/archives/regdocs/released/pdf/DEM/8580.pdf ) we only allow the use of unmanned aircrafts with official written permission from the facility manager. At this time, we are not granting permission to the public to use unmanned aircrafts at any of our park locations. With the increased popularity of “drones” among the public we have had several accidents that have caused damage to State property. We have only permitted a limited number of requests for very special circumstances such as for filming during special events.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

So it sounds like to me that the state parks are treated as private property/airspace in this case, and have their own rules beyond the state or local municipality. They can grant permission, but stated that they simply won't, which I find frustrating. Sounds like a few people didn't play by the rules and ruined it for everyone.

I really do love our state parks, and was looking forward to getting some footage of them, but that won't happen anytime soon it seems. At least they don't govern the city/town parks.

Came here to follow up on this. Found this thread trying to find rules for RI's state parks to see if I could fly my spark and get some video while kayaking.

I emailed the RI DEM today and stated this:

My name is <Name> and I am a resident of Rhode Island in Warwick. I was writing to ask if the RI DEM had any specific rules on UAS/hobby aircraft flights in Rhode Island's state parks. I am a hobbyist looking to fly a small (less than 1 pound) quadcopter under the FAA's 336 rules for model aircraft (https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/model_aircraft/).

I am registered with the FAA, and I have contacted the Rhode Island Airport Corporation and spoken with our state aeronautics inspector and received permission from him for recreational flights, as well as discussed airspace restrictions in the state of Rhode Island.

I have heard reports of some individuals being told by RI DEM park employees that they were not allowed to fly in state parks, but those reports appear to be inconsistent, and the state of Rhode Island currently has no laws restricting recreational/hobby aircraft flights beyond the FAA rules.

Please let me know what is permitted, and any specific laws or statutes if there are any restrictions or if flights are prohibited in RI State Parks.

Thank you for your time,

I received this as a response:

According to the Park and Management Area Rules and Regulations 1.9 Section C ( http://sos.ri.gov/documents/archives/regdocs/released/pdf/DEM/8580.pdf ) we only allow the use of unmanned aircrafts with official written permission from the facility manager. At this time, we are not granting permission to the public to use unmanned aircrafts at any of our park locations. With the increased popularity of “drones” among the public we have had several accidents that have caused damage to State property. We have only permitted a limited number of requests for very special circumstances such as for filming during special events.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

So it sounds like to me that the state parks are treated as private property/airspace in this case, and have their own rules beyond the state or local municipality. They can grant permission, but stated that they simply won't, which I find frustrating. Sounds like a few people didn't play by the rules and ruined it for everyone.

I really do love our state parks, and was looking forward to getting some footage of them, but that won't happen anytime soon it seems. At least they don't govern the city/town parks.

I’ve flown a number of times at colt state park. The park police came by and checked out my drone and watched my screen out while I flew it. You can get some great footage there.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie