Anyone in Rhode Island?

Reaction score
New Phantom 2 Pilot with FPV system - looking for other more experienced Pilots in my general area. I'm in the South Kingstown/Wakefield area. Right now I'm trying to find someone to help me install my new Futaba controller but have been flying with stock controller around the South County area for the past two weeks.

I've got a Phantom 1.1.1. I live in SE Mass on the Warren RI line. I've been using the Stock controller I was going to switch over to my FrSky radio that I use for my home built heavy lifter quad. but I'm getting used to the easy controls on the DJI radio. All I have to do is concentrate on shooting video.

I may be shooting video with my quad at Colt State Park this weekend. I use a HD Hero 3 Black to shoot 1080p 60fps video and I plan on getting a fatshark fpv kit next year.
Right now I'm flying my homebrew quad in Acro mode and learning to use the DJI Fantom to shoot video. I've been too chicken to get the dji quad 500ft. over my house.
Have you flown your quad at high altitude yet ? I kind of like the feel of the dji stock controller because dead center throttle is hover. The new radio stick one and stick2 auto center, so it's pretty slick to shoot up in the air let the stick go and you lock altitude and hover. The quad doesn't automatically adjust throttle when you yaw left or right. You need to compensate when flying in tight areas. The autocenter sticks do help you concentrate on shooting the video.

How do you like flying fpv ? What range do the new Futuba Radios have ? My old Futuba wideband FM (1980s) with my futuba receiver had a crazy range.
I didn't like to fly too far away because I didn't want to get disoriented. What I like about the DJI is the return to home feature. Just remember to only power up the quad where you want the quad to autoland. And plugin in the quad into your computer's usb port and enable the return home feature. Autoland is enabled by default, it would stink if you are over a tree or water if that's enabled. If I'm flying the quad and get disoriented I just throttle up so the quad can climb,make sure gps mode is enabled, and shut the radio off. this way I can clear any trees or building that are in the way on the return flight. When RTL kicks in the quad would either climb to 60ft or if it's higher it will stay at that elevation until directly over the RTL waypoint and start the descent. As long as you have a good GPS signal

I am in West Greenwich but it has been a while since you posted and probably have it down pat by now. Not a pro but learning all the time. I am new here and not sure if one can include their email address in a post.

Reactions: USCG Retired
Dear Jerry and Roger.

Thank you for your messages, I've seen a couple of DJI Drones in South Kingstown recently but couldn't track down where they came from. You're welcome to private message me if you wish, I've got a great field near my house that's perfect for flying and testing the drone. Nobody is near the field and it's pretty safe. I'll be happy to meet, I'd love to form a club of some kind so fellow Drone enthusiasts can fly together in RI.

Andy

I live in Cranston and just got into the hobby and bought a Phantom 2 two weeks ago. Last week I bought an FPV kit and have been flying nonstop, I have started to branch out into scenery. Today I flew at conimicut point park in warwick and tried out attitude mode. I actually got lucky and had 5 minutes of flying before people came up talking to me about my "drone."

Anyways none of my friends are into quads so I am totally down to meet people with similar interests/answer questions. Tomorrow and Sunday I will be looking for cool places to shoot, maybe Narragansett.

Arseniaa said:
New Phantom 2 Pilot with FPV system - looking for other more experienced Pilots in my general area. I'm in the South Kingstown/Wakefield area. Right now I'm trying to find someone to help me install my new Futaba controller but have been flying with stock controller around the South County area for the past two weeks.

check your pm

I guess I should have been checking the post of mine, sorry to those of you that I have not replied to. I am still interested in chatting with others. Here is my email, I guess I can post it? If not, sorry to the Moderator for the hassle.
[email protected]

is anyone interested in flying a waterfire this summer? maybe not very close to the action though

I don't know about that one. There are thousands of people that go to those events. It would make a nice video but awful risky.

RodgerB said:
I don't know about that one. There are thousands of people that go to those events. It would make a nice video but awful risky.

yes I agree, that is why I was thinking maybe doing it from a mile away like near brown university campus. flying up 125 feet maybe might be enough to get a glimpse of the waterfire since the campus is on a hill. i would have to ask permission first of course, but i doubt they would say yes.

Just received my Phantom V2.0 Monitor combo, Looking to join a flying club in Rhode island, I live in Pascoag R.I. near the conn line. also former crew chief UH B1 1968-1969

I'm from Warwick,.bought my first Phantom 2 back in Dec 2013 and since bought a 2+, as well as a Walkera Tali 500. The walkera is still in the box, probably going to sell.
If your looking for other quad flyers... I stopped by the RC airfield in W.Greenwich and spoke to one of the members there. He stated they have a growing group of multirotor flyers coming there. This is the field you can see from Rte 95 in W.Greenwich, Diviion Road. I plan on going there when the weather breaks to see what's up. The field I'm pretty sure is a AMA sanctioned field. I'm a member of AMA which is a good idea if you plan on getting serious with this thing.
If you need some pratice or testing something new, there are two large sand pits right there in the area.
My problem is I need someone in the area who can service these things.

I'm from Warwick,.bought my first Phantom 2 back in Dec 2013 and since bought a 2+, as well as a Walkera Tali 500. The walkera is still in the box, probably going to sell.
If your looking for other quad flyers... I stopped by the RC airfield in W.Greenwich and spoke to one of the members there. He stated they have a growing group of multirotor flyers coming there. This is the field you can see from Rte 95 in W.Greenwich, Diviion Road. I plan on going there when the weather breaks to see what's up. The field I'm pretty sure is a AMA sanctioned field. I'm a member of AMA which is a good idea if you plan on getting serious with this thing.
If you need some pratice or testing something new, there are two large sand pits right there in the area.
My problem is I need someone in the area who can service these things.
Hey!
I also am in the Warwick area. I've serviced a few of these thru my home biz (facebook.com/electronicsrepairri). If you need any repairs done send me a message. Since I got my hands on the phantom, I've been hooked. Looking to purchase my new toy this month. Maybe we could meet up locally sometime.

We have a 2nd home in RI on Aquidneck Island. I have done a lot of pics and flying here - recently running around with the P3.
RI is a great place for aerial photos and vids!

I'm in RI a lot during the summer, I now have a P3 Pro but this was filmed with the P2V+ in CT & RI...

Hey kenjancef :)

I'm in Seekonk.

Oh cool... I've only been on a couple of flights, and tomorrow heading to Kansas City for a week. Where do you fly? I'm lucky to have a big ball/soccer field across the street from me so I fly there. Excited to get this thing active!!

I'm in RI a lot during the summer, I now have a P3 Pro but this was filmed with the P2V+ in CT & RI...

The light house and park next to it are a great place to fly!
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1439130302.446673.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20